Writing a Mixed-Race MC When the "Race" is Fantasy-Based?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Personal background: I'm a white cis-gendered bi girl who has led a somewhat sheltered but not totally perfect life in the Southern US. Also, I write fantasy and horror.

So I'm most of the way through a revision on something I'm planning to submit next month. It's been through the rounds with betas and my own edits and this last pass should do it. Except I noticed two things on this round: 1) All my central characters are white, at least in my head, although I've never explicitly described them as such. (Several secondary characters are PoCs, just not my main trio.) 2) I unintentionally wrote a "coming out" speech for my MC that's about a fantasy race, not an orientation.

The thing is, this character has always been "mixed." She's part-fae, part-human, and has to deal with so-called Fantastic Racism in the fae world on account of not being "pure-blood" even though she's ridiculously talented at her own brand of magic. I've been doing some reading elseweb on the importance of fantasy stories dealing with race beyond just fantasy races, like people who come from fictional cultures and backgrounds that don't exist in the real world. I guess my question is should I go ahead and make her mixed-race and explicitly describe her as darker-skinned, or would that be shoehorning at this point? Her family background is an issue for her, that's already part of the story--her trying to find a place where she belongs when neither world feels like a perfect fit. That's probably where the unintentional coming-out speech came from, actually, since I often feel like I'm not queer enough to belong in LGBT circles, but also not straight enough to feel comfortable anywhere else. The speech in my novel involves her "coming out" as fae to her human best friend, who has always suspected something was "different" about her but didn't know what.

Am I overthinking this? Is this a bad idea? Is it possible I'm finding another reason not to submit yet, which always seems to be an issue for me when I have something I'm 99% sure is submission-ready but then I go back and think, "Wait, this other thing! I must do this other thing to it or it will be RUINED!"

Last edited:

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Why would it be shoehorning? (ETA: I mean this as an honest question that comes from my personal failing at comprehension, *not* as a rhetorical device that means "like duh it's totally not shoehorning")

In my view -- if you want to do it, do it. If you don't want to, you don't have to. I doubt the story will be ruined either way. :) But if this is what you want, is something holding you back? (Or is it that you don't necessarily want to but feel like you should?)

Last edited:

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
I mean "shoehorning" as in "trying to make something fit that really doesn't," but I think it probably does, and I don't know whether I should have someone else look at to confirm that for me or what. Again, I suspect I'm overthinking it.

The thing holding me back is this mix of wanting to have a diverse cast, but not having them be representative of me as a queer person because it's too scary, but also not wanting to step on someone else's representation, because that would be appropriation. Except I'm not even sure that's what I'm doing. I don't think so?

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
It's up to you if you want to describe her skin, etc.

What do you mean, "not queer enough"?

Just like other humans, LGBTQA and POC are just...well, people. No one's exactly the same, after all. If you wish to present them, then just write them with respect as fully 3-dimensional people with flaws (like anyone else).

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
This article sums it up pretty well, actually.

Thanks for replying. I believe I've written a fully 3-dimensional, flawed, self-doubting but proactive character, so I'm probably okay going with what I have.

Ah, the whole prejudice and controversy thing about LGBT (and non-LGBTQ) communities have towards towards Bisexuals, Pansexuals, and the rest of the Q+ spectrum that fit neatly into the L and G categories.

I really don't know what to tell you about that. (I'm a closeted L myself, and I don't interact with any LGBT communities. I keep to myself, being an introvert and all.)

I would just write people equally as human beings, and then maybe ask some betas if I had any concerns about representation.

BTW, what population are you afraid of misrepresenting, if I may ask?

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I mean "shoehorning" as in "trying to make something fit that really doesn't," but I think it probably does, and I don't know whether I should have someone else look at to confirm that for me or what. Again, I suspect I'm overthinking it.

I suspect you are, too, though of course I can't tell for sure ;)

I just wasn't sure why it wouldn't fit, is why I asked. If there some special story situation that would make it not-fitty, or somethin'. :D

Last edited:

The Weaver

Registered
Reaction score
For the people who are telling you that your not queer enough they can go eat a sock. There is no one way to be queer and anyone who says otherwise can bugger of. Now for your mixed mc. Since I haven't read the story, I can't make a true judgement but there are a few tropes you should be watching out for.

1. Her entire character is moping about her heritage and her never fitting in no matter what she does or says. Just as not everyone will love her, she won't be hated by every single person she comes in contact with.

2.Mixed blood being tied to her moral alignment eg. fae side evil human side good.

3.Her heritage being a binary thing that she can easily damn or embrace or being in constant conflict.

As bunny-gypsy said just make her a person.

ManInBlack

Registered
Reaction score
Website
williamsilvia.net
If you're not sure what you want to do, it may be worth taking a larger work at the whole. I am not of the school of thought that you need defined themes while writing (especially not during the first draft; maybe later) but look for parallels with what you're trying to do. Some people and some stories would slot this into a race allegory, some into a QUILTBAG allegory, some would go a third direction, and some would take a mix of the two. None of these is completely wrong, and I wouldn't even say you have to be conscious of your choice on the first draft, but if most of your story leans toward one and you're not sure which to go with, I'd recommend the one you're leaning toward.

Status
Not open for further replies.