• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Question about credentials and expertise on a subject

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Sim

Registered
Reaction score
I've asked this in the Agents section as well, but maybe some authors here can also answer the question (since maybe only agents will respond in that other section).

I've noticed that on various literary agents' guidelines, they require you as the author to list your credentials and expertise on a particular subject in your biographical info/ CV. While I can understand this, my question is: what if you've simply researched a particular area, but aren't writing from actual experience? Does it matter that you don't have the "official" expertise required?

For example, if I wanted to write a spy thriller - now, I've not served in any espionage agency, but I could feasibly carry out extensive research and even interview people, or use my own creativity to paint a fictional world of shadows and spooks. Similarly, I would find it hard to imagine that someone like JK Rowling (a former teacher), when submitting to agents, listed sorcery and wizardry as her area of expertise. As for the story - well, good stories can come out of one's own imagination (or experiences which can be transferred into a new context). I might not know what it's like to truly be a spy, but I might know what it's like to be required to have to keep secrets from others close to me, for example, and it's these sorts of common human emotions that readers can still identify with.

The question is, while I may be able to explain this sort of reasoning here on a forum, will agents wanting biographical information on you see it in theI same way? Or will they think: "Nope, you're not a spy. So you can't be qualified to write with authority"? How should I address this?

I would appreciate some feedback on this, as this is proving a difficult area to address for those particular agents who have this kind of requirement.

Thanks.

Betty W01

Empress of Cyberworld
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Agents are looking for sure sales, great writing, factual accuracy where applicable, and shelf appeal. If you've got all that, you don't need to be an "expert". If you don't, being an expert probably won't help. Go for it. At worst, you'll end up unpublished and unrepresented. Oh, wait, that's where you are now, isn't it? Take a chance. Jump!!

Status
Not open for further replies.