Nespresso!

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
So I just got one, after dithering, considering 18 other options, etc. I couldn't be more impressed with the customer service so far - when I bought it, the woman registered it for me right there, and when I set it up, it was doing something odd, so I thought I'd try the 800#, though I figured no one would be at support late. They're there 24/7, for technical support, and the rep was super helpful and got the machine going. The espresso is *amazing.* The used capsules are stored in the machine so you don't have to fuss with individual ones, they're fully recyclable, and the co. will send you prepaid UPS baggies to stick them in that will ship them to their dedicated recycling center. Thus far, impressed! However...

Does anyone have the milk frother and use non-dairy milk? The Aeroccino plus. I was told it frothed non-dairy, but the almond/coconut blend I tried just got warm, no froth. It may be that the machine and milk weren't super cold, but I'd expect some, so... the Internet suggests this does work but wondering if anyone has first-hand experience, as online people have varying claims, heh.

ETA: I called the 800# again, and less than 24 hours later, had a new, working frother at my door. The original was actually a dud, but the company seems seriously dedicated to customer service.

This one doesn't do much for the almond/coconut blend I've got but did froth the actual dairy product I had on hand for baking (the original dud one just made it flat and warm, same as the almond), so if anyone has suggestions for non-dairy, non-soy milks they've frothed that work well, please share. :)

Last edited:

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
No, using alternative milk is fine. You just need something with less fat. So the more coconut milk your blend has in it, the more likely it is to be the issue. Can you drink straight almond milk, rice, cashew or hemp? If you're using coconut for the creaminess, cashew may be your best option. I know I like the Nespresso for their interesting variety of flavors and because it's literally the only capsule machine I've found where the capsules are recyclable.

But yeah, alternative milk with less fat will whip up properly unless your Aeroccino has other problems.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
My mother uses one and with what I think is rice and oat milk. It does not froth as well but still makes a decent coffee.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I've found a few that work, and some that inexplicably don't. I really don't understand some of the differences, but whatevs, heh.

For anyone interested: Boxed, shelf-stored almond milk doesn't foam (at least for me); the same exact brand (Almond Breeze) foams like regular milk when I use the cold-stored half-gallon things. The Almond Breeze almond/cashew blend is my fave, as it foams well but less, as, I presume, it's more creamy/fatty.

There are two settings on the milk foaming pitcher with the Nespresso - one line to fill for latte foam, one to fill for cappuccino foam, because you're meant to use the whisk not the paddle. With the a/c blend, I get a nice latte foam using the whisk. I get full cappuccino foam from the plain almond, both the cold-stored.

Silk brand cold-stored cashew/almond does absolutely nothing, no foam at all, even with a whisk. I have no idea the deal, heh.

I've heard TJ's almond milk foams well, but haven't tried, as I like the creamier Almond Breeze a/c.

I still adore the machines. The recyclablity of the capsules is very nice. I also like that they're not made of possibly-BPA plastics. They're straight aluminum and the co. gives you nice bags to collect them in to have UPS take or to bring to recycling points (most stores that sell the machines have specific Nespresso recycling bins for you to put the bags in).