Putting a Screw through Decoupage...

JMC2009

Your friendly neighborhood Chat Op
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm working on a decoupage project with hard formula mod podge. Never done anything like this, but so far I'm thrilled with how it's turning out.

Over the weekend I've put probably about 15 coats of mod podge on photos that I've glued (using this same formula) to a hard backing. As soon as I'm completely satisfied with the look (there's still some gaps to fill in from not being diligent enough with my sanding) I will be attaching letters to the collage. First I'll use some glue to get them in their initial location, and then I'll put screws in them from the back to help make them more secure.

I've read where it can actually take this many layers of mod podge four weeks to completely cure and that's how long it's recommended to wait before putting any sort of other finishing sealer on it. But how about for my screws? Do I need to wait for it to be complete cured before I screw the lettering on, or can I go ahead and do that?

Thanks in advance!

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I'd say wait at least 72 hours after final coat. Pre-drill holes, or the surrounding surface could distort and buckle. PVA emulsions can appear hard before that, but underlying layers can be so fragile they'll peel under any kind of force. I have made this mistake.

JMC2009

Your friendly neighborhood Chat Op
Registered
Reaction score
I purchased Gel Control Super Glue from Loctite to hold my letters in place while I screwed them in. (My plan was to glue them where I wanted them and then flip the project over and put the screws in from the wrong side.) My concern was with this being a wall hanging the letters would start to peel off along with layers of mod podge.

Thank you for your help!