2016 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees: justice at last

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/music/n-w-deep-purple-chicago-chosen-rock-roll-hall-fame-n481631

N.W.A., Deep Purple and Chicago are among the musicians chosen to join the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2016, organizers announced on Thursday.
Singer Steve Miller, who crosses multiple genres from blues to pop, and 1970s rock band Cheap Trick will round out the five inductees, which were chosen by fans and more than 800 voters of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation.
I am pleasantly surprised. For once.

Axl Prose

Registered
Reaction score
That's actually a good list, all deserving. Surprised some of those weren't already in. NWA, I'm comin' straight outta Compton crazy motherf*$#ka named Ice Cube :D

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How is Yes not in the Hall yet? I know Jan Winter hates prog rock, but it's starting to get ridiculous with all the classic prog rockers consistently ignored.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay for Cheap Trick! One of the funnest bands ever.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How is Yes not in the Hall yet? I know Jan Winter hates prog rock, but it's starting to get ridiculous with all the classic prog rockers consistently ignored.

[FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]Don't care much about N.W.A., but I'm fine with the rest of the class and especially Deep Purple. Wonder if Peter Cetera, Richie Blackmore or Bun E. Carlos will be invited to join their ex-bands onstage (don't bet on it!)

But Yes gets screwed yet again. There's no reason for them to be shut out of the Hall this long. Poor Chris Squire died waiting for his band to get their due. Damn Jann Wenner and his pathological hatred of prog-rock. If only Yes had worn skinny ties, glasses or safety pins through their cheeks, they'd be in by now.
[/FONT]

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't care much about N.W.A., but I'm fine with the rest of the class and especially Deep Purple. Wonder if Peter Cetera, Richie Blackmore or Bun E. Carlos will be invited to join their ex-bands onstage (don't bet on it!)

But Yes gets screwed yet again. There's no reason for them to be shut out of the Hall this long. Poor Chris Squire died waiting for his band to get their due. Damn Jann Wenner and his pathological hatred of prog-rock. If only Yes had worn skinny ties, glasses or safety pins through their cheeks, they'd be in by now.

Yeah, Jan Wenner, that's who I meant.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com

I remember my progressive-rock-hating friends back in the 80s trying to convince me that my taste in music sucked because Rolling Stone said so. I don't care. I got a lot of pleasure listening to band like Yes, Pink Floyd, Alan Parsons Proj. and ELP back in the day. I liked a fair amount of the punk and new wave that was popular back then too, and even some of the pop stuff, and also at least a few heavy metal bands (I'm still fond of Soft White Underbelly, er Blue Oyster Cult--Moar Cowbell, damn it).

I saw Cheap Trick back at a baseball stadium rock festival in the early 80s (if I remember right). Blue Oyster Cult and UFO were also playing that day/night. I'm pretty sure my hearing is a bit worse now than it would have been if I'd not gone, but it was a great show.

I never got why liking one kind of music meant you had to hate another.

Thank heavens no one ever does that with writers or fiction genres.:greenie

Last edited:

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website

Well, the thing here is that ELP isn't in yet and probably never will be. So it's easy to justify screwing Yes. I think they both should be in, of course, which is why I'm going to start my own Hall of Fame...along with my own NCAA football National Championship Trophy.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I saw Cheap Trick back at a baseball stadium rock festival in the early 80s (if I remember right). Blue Oyster Cult and UFO were also playing that day/night. I'm pretty sure my hearing is a bit worse now than it would have been if I'd not gone, but it was a great show.
UFO...awesome concert band. And I think I saw the above tour. '83?

In '81 I saw BoC with Heart and Kansas. Robby Krieger came out for BoC's encore. Ahh, memories...

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the thing here is that ELP isn't in yet and probably never will be. So it's easy to justify screwing Yes. I think they both should be in, of course, which is why I'm going to start my own Hall of Fame...along with my own NCAA football National Championship Trophy.

Hell, it might be a better Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame than what we've got now! I've been there and if you like a lot of junk that looks like it came out of a rock n' roll yard sale, you'll love the joint. Me? I wasn't impressed. At all. The controversy that swirls around the induction process and how far up Jann Wenner's ass it is, is more interesting than the Hall itself.

Maybe it's too close in proximity to the Cleveland Browns stadium (aka the Factory of Sadness) and the suck has rubbed off. Either way, I'd rather go to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Back to the bands getting in, Bun E. Carlos, the exiled (but still legally a member) of Cheap Trick spilled the beans why he's out of the group, but plans to be onstage when they are inducted. If they let him (think Kiss, and that gets near it).

Only the lawyers are happy when it gets to legalities.