Secret Santa/holiday gift exchanges at work -- yea or nay?

work secret santa/holiday gift exchanges -- yea or nay

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Time for a festive holiday poll.

I despise office gift exchanges. I don't want to pick out a gift for a random colleague nor do I want to receive a gift from a random colleague. I don't like feeling pressured to participate. Yes, I'm a grinch, but I should not have to declare myself so at work.

That's my take. What's yours? Do you like work gift exchanges? If not, do you feel comfortable saying no?

ETA:

by the way, by "gift exchange", I am not referring to bosses giving their assistants and subordinates gifts. That generally is not an exchange, for one thing, and I don't have any problem with that custom. For the record, my assistants have always received generous gifts from me. I'm a grinch, yes, but not in that way.

ETA:

I probably should have included "I don't care one way or the other" options. Alas, I cannot edit the options. But I'm guessing most lean at least slightly in the direction of liking or not liking such exchanges.

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not working now but when I do, I go along with the friendly stuff like that, whether it's the yearly holiday gift exchange or contributing a dessert and/or gift or whatever to the endless bridal and baby showers and retirement parties. It's not much time or money and I think refusing can make you stand out as difficult, which is not what I'd want at work. Also, sometimes I even enjoy myself.

ETA: My feelings about it generally go along with my feelings about that particular workplace or the person of honor, when there is one. I like to do friendly extras for people I like but not for people I don't like.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I enjoy Secret Santa exchanges, and I'd like to think I'm pretty good at them. However, I know many others who hate them, and I think those people shouldn't be pressured to participate, or have to provide some sort of rationale for opting out.

My "day job" is acting, and I'm usually involved in a show during the holidays (this year is a rare exception). That means there's a fresh crop of people to give to every year. Since show folk rarely have a lot of folding green, it's fun to see just how creative everyone gets with their gifts. One of the nicest I ever got was from a stagehand who was fresh out of college and living a pretty hand-to-mouth existence, but she took the time to find out what kind of music I like and put together a CD for me. Shades of the old mix tapes, I know, but years later, I still listen to that CD and think of her.

Last edited:

auzerais

I like puppies.
Registered
Reaction score
I work in a pharmacy with a grand total of about 10 people. We've always done a secret santa, and I've always participated in it (some years it was the only Christmas gift that I would get because I didn't otherwise celebrate.) I've always found it enjoyable because there are only 10 of us, we all work very closely with one another, and I know everybody reasonably well. For a larger or less tight-knit group, I would hate it.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
now i'm expecting the other mods to give me gifts.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I work in a pharmacy with a grand total of about 10 people. We've always done a secret santa, and I've always participated in it (some years it was the only Christmas gift that I would get because I didn't otherwise celebrate.) I've always found it enjoyable because there are only 10 of us, we all work very closely with one another, and I know everybody reasonably well. For a larger or less tight-knit group, I would hate it.

If you have a very little group where you all know one another and everyone gets along well, I can see it being enjoyable. (Work would probably also be more enjoyable.)

Alas, everywhere I've been is a lot less close-knit, and "celebratory" functions are enforced fake corporate joy where you spend your precious time (and money) on colleagues you may not care for instead of on people you do.

The couple of times I participated, way back when, I invariably pulled someone out of the hat I barely knew, or once, someone I downright despised.

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
now i'm expecting the other mods to give me gifts.

*thrusts wreath of thorns on cray's head*

*nails him to cross*

ho ho ho

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I worked in a small office and we always exchanged gifts.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
she'll just give you another sparkly pink pony or an anime cat girl. you know that.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
...as long as it matches my wreath.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I think thorn wreaths are one of those neutral accessories that go with everything.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
My chorus used to do a big Secret Santa thing every year, but a few years ago they decided to skip it. Instead, they put up a collection for some folks who lost their homes in a really nasty winter storm, sending them the money we would otherwise have spent on gifts. We've made it a regular thing now, picking a different recipient each year.

It's worked out well. The folks who hate Secret Santa are happy, and there's always someone, somewhere, who needs cash a lot more than we need scented candles or potholders or whatever.

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
Work is work. Home is home. And the two are not designed to meet. In my world.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Oh, reg. Thank you. That was the best holiday gift ever.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're welcome I'm glad to know you are so approving of Christmas ponying.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I think it looks better on cray.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You do realize, don't you, that this is yet another thread that is *all about cray*?

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My chorus used to do a big Secret Santa thing every year, but a few years ago they decided to skip it. Instead, they put up a collection for some folks who lost their homes in a really nasty winter storm, sending them the money we would otherwise have spent on gifts. We've made it a regular thing now, picking a different recipient each year.

It's worked out well. The folks who hate Secret Santa are happy, and there's always someone, somewhere, who needs cash a lot more than we need scented candles or potholders or whatever.

That's a great story! And I hope to high heaven and holy hell no one gives me scented candles. Or potholders.

*tries to save thread from decomposing crayness*

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here ya go, Cray ---> :eggplant - Merry Christmas, Dumpling! :Hug2:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
You do realize, don't you, that this is yet another thread that is *all about cray*?

damn it. I'm telling you, every thread I'm in ends up taking some kind of perverse, twisted turn.

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
damn it. I'm telling you, every thread I'm in ends up taking some kind of perverse, twisted turn.

Tiptoes in quietly.......................Uh, what is the common denominator?....Tiptoes back out with a snicker.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I adore my coworkers, but I don't love them, and I think Christmas gifts should be for people you love -- friends and family. If I was arm-twisted into bringing gifts for coworkers, it would be baked goods or candy canes, not much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.