Status
Not open for further replies.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wholesome.

Teen Greets Little Brother Coming Home From School By Dressing Up In A Different Costume Every Day

Noah's mom decided to start sharing the videos to Facebook under the account "The Bus Brother" and the videos have since been widely shared – with the brothers now making headlines.

Noah told the local news outlet the videos have grown “a lot bigger" than he thought they would, with locals sending him costume donations to keep the trend going and news cameras even coming to capture the unusual routine.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Georgia Professor Holds Student's Baby, A Life Lesson Bundled On Her Back
When a student at Georgia Gwinnett College couldn't find a replacement babysitter in time for her anatomy and physiology class earlier this month, she did what student-parents sometimes have to do – she brought her child to class with her.

Ramata Sissoko Cisse, an assistant professor of biology for anatomy and physiology, had scheduled an important lecture for that day. It focused on the integumentary system — the organ system comprised of the skin, hair, nails and glands. For Cisse, the lecture went beyond biology.

Cisse said she wanted her student to focus on the meaning of the lecture, a task often difficult in a three-hour class, but made even more challenging when notetaking has to be balanced with holding a child.

So Cisse told the student to hand her the child. She would hold him so that the student could just pay attention. Cisse, a mother of three, said she raised her children at the same time she attended graduate school.

"I just wanted her to be a student, a normal young student in the class," Cisse said. "I didn't want her to think about the baby."

"I wanted the student to have a little break."

Cisse carried the child for the entirety of the lecture, fashioning a sling out of a white lab jacket to hold him on her back, freeing her hands to write on the whiteboard. The child fell asleep almost immediately, Cisse said.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
There's a professor who's teaching the class much more than anatomy and physiology.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Methane is a byproduct of things like wastewater management, etc. Just read that Oregon passed a law to allow that gas to be collected and sold to natural gas companies. It's totally renewable and has a lower carbon footprint than many other forms of energy.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I consider this good news:

Male candidate withdraws, says New Mexico Senate needs more women

He had announced three months ago that he would challenge Democratic Sen. Carlos Cisneros in the 2020 Democratic primary election. But Cisneros died of a heart attack last month at age 71, touching off a scramble for the appointment to fill out the rest of his term.

Rather than competing with Ortez to be nominated by the Taos County commissioners, Fernandez stepped aside.

“I cannot in good conscience stand in the way of a candidate who shares my values, our district’s and state’s values, and will make the state Senate more inclusive and representative of New Mexico,” he said.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com

Methane is a byproduct of things like wastewater management, etc. Just read that Oregon passed a law to allow that gas to be collected and sold to natural gas companies. It's totally renewable and has a lower carbon footprint than many other forms of energy.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

That's actually great news. The carbon would be returning to the atmosphere whether it's burned or not (and methane is a potent greenhouse gas), and using it means a little less fossil fuel will have to be sucked from underground.

Every little bit, as they say.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Yeah, I thought it was a great idea.

And Lyv, I think that's good news too. Every time a man steps aside to allow a woman to move up the ladder is a step in the right direction for all of us.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
High school turns down free Chick-fil-A 'out of respect' for LGBTQ staff

Lusher High School in New Orleans is gaining national attention after turning down food from Chick-fil-A "out of respect" for its LGBTQ staff, and because of the restaurant's stance on LGBTQ issues.

According to WWL-TV , the school's principal, Dr. Steven Corbett, said Chick-Fil-A's values don't align with the school's values. The principal made the statement that "out of respect to our LGBTQ staff," the school has decided not to serve Chick-fil-A at an employee lunch.

Respect. It's just that easy.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score

Chick-fil-A's been in the UK news too: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-50094551 Its first UK outlet is being closed down because of its support of anti-LGBT organisations.

A US fast-food chain will cease trading at its first UK outlet amid a row over donations to anti-LGBT groups.

Gay rights campaigners called for a boycott of Chick-fil-A, which opened its first branch at The Oracle shopping centre in Reading on 10 October.

A spokeswoman for the centre said "the right thing to do" was to not extend the restaurant's lease beyond the "six-month pilot period".

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Two experimental drugs have proven effective against ebola, "often just days after a single intravenous dose."

https://www.pharmacist.com/article/ebola-cure-emerged-war-zone

(Original article is in the Wall Street Journal and darned if I'm going to give them clicks even if they weren't behind a paywall. I have a physical copy of the article, if anyone wants details.)

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
From Australia's national war memorial, which is here in Canberra:

"A surprise tenant has made an unlikely home in the Australian War Memorial's most solemn place of remembrance.

The Hall of Memory has become host to a pigeon, which has stolen poppies from the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier to make its nest."

I'll have to go and see for myself on the weekend!

smAAJZ1Zx_zpsln0zviok.jpg

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Aww, a dove of peace nesting on a war memorial. It's a 'turn you swords into plowshares' moment.
I hope the ceremonies of Nov. 11 don't scare it off.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
The supreme court has allowed the law suit against Remington, brought by the families of Sandy Hook shooting victims, to move forward.

The Supreme Court has denied Remington Arms Co.'s bid to block a lawsuit filed by families of victims of the Sandy Hook school massacre. The families say Remington should be held liable, as the maker and promoter of the AR-15-style rifle used in the 2012 killings.

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/12/7784...ok-families-case-against-remington-to-proceed

This doesn't mean they will win, of course, but it suggests that there are at least chinks in the armor created by the 2005 federal law that shields gun manufacturers from liability.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
The supreme court has allowed the law suit against Remington, brought by the families of Sandy Hook shooting victims, to move forward.

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/12/7784...ok-families-case-against-remington-to-proceed

This doesn't mean they will win, of course, but it suggests that there are at least chinks in the armor created by the 2005 federal law that shields gun manufacturers from liability.
Weird, when this is the same Supreme Court that just voted against DACA (the 'Dreamers' bill). Unless they are hoping to get the chance to close a few loopholes?

Status
Not open for further replies.