Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Does it count that my elderly dog is eating up a storm? A good appetite for her means she's feeling better. After a monthlong course of an antibiotic for a drug resistant urinary infection her eating had been erratic.

In the actual positive news category, it's posted in another thread that the judge ruled in favor of the healthcare staff who quit a hospital job for a better offer in a different healthcare facility. Friday he blocked their ability to work for the new company because the initial employer took them to court to demand time to replace them. But the hospital had had time to replace them and had had an option of offering them a competitive wage.

And in the better late than never incredible news, the court ruled in favor of indigenous women in Guatemala who had been forced into sexual slavery by Contra soldiers (Reagan's so-called freedom fighters who actually were supporting wealthy land owners) 40 years ago.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In Wisconsin, ice-fishing for sturgeon is about to begin. There's a strict quota, not per fisherman but per lake, only a very few lakes fished for sturgeon at all, and all ice fishing on each lake closes once that lake's quota is reached.

The good news is that native Ojibwe ice fishers, who have a centuries-old custom of how their tipis on the ice are formed and from what materials, are out in greater numbers, having successfully passed it on to young tribal members. They use wool and alder so successfully that they take off their coats once inside, it's so cozy.

Maryn, who hasn't yet seen a tipi on the nearby lake

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd been about to post that! Cold, clear water apparently preserves shipwrecks quite well.

Reactions: RedRajah

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ever wonder what rock gods do when they're not in the studio or touring? Click this to see.

Now you know.

Maryn, who suspected

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Not something I read, but two days ago my baby brother phoned with a belated birthday greeting and (among many other things) said that his bike club held a fundraiser for Ukraine. Apparently a Ukranian group in town (San Diego) is taking donations of boots and coats and first aid kits, etc., and shipping them to Ukraine via Poland. My brother thinks his bike group raised about $1000 to help them do it ...and that was on short notice.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com

Bad at Drawing

Registered
Reaction score
Not something I read, but if any of you are familiar with the Kurzgesagt YT channel, they made a video recently detailing some of the more encouraging trends relating to climate change. With all of the doom and gloom that so regularly gets posted about climate change, it’s nice to see that even with strong headwinds, some progress is being made.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Not something I read, but if any of you are familiar with the Kurzgesagt YT channel, they made a video recently detailing some of the more encouraging trends relating to climate change. With all of the doom and gloom that so regularly gets posted about climate change, it’s nice to see that even with strong headwinds, some progress is being made.

I just saw that myself, and I was thinking of sharing it here too.

Mind you, they make it clear that encouraging news means we likely won't have the absolute worst, apocalyptic outcome of climate change with a more than 4 degree C temperature rise, but we still have a long way to go if we want to keep warming under 3 degrees C. And even our current levels of increase (which aren't the end of it) are making life a lot harder for a lot of people (not to mention for other species).

Still, there are some hopeful trends, as alternatives to fossil fuels become less expensive, and the reasons for using coal in particular disappear.

We need to do more to make alternatives to petroleum accessible and affordable in this country, though. And so many of our cities are designed to make it very hard to get around without a car.

One thing I've noticed is a lot of people, including folks I don't think of as super environmental activist types, have gotten solar panels on their houses. My spouse and I hope to do this soon ourselves.

Bad at Drawing

Registered
Reaction score
Mind you, they make it clear that encouraging news means we likely won't have the absolute worst, apocalyptic outcome of climate change with a more than 4 degree C temperature rise, but we still have a long way to go if we want to keep warming under 3 degrees C. And even our current levels of increase (which aren't the end of it) are making life a lot harder for a lot of people (not to mention for other species).
Absolutely. A 3 C rise is still completely unacceptable and something that we should fight to avoid. I live in a very conservative area of the country and so often see the people actively fighting change, that it’s nice to see that there are still people trying to do the right things.

One thing I've noticed is a lot of people, including folks I don't think of as super environmental activist types, have gotten solar panels on their houses. My spouse and I hope to do this soon ourselves.
We’ve had several in our neighborhood get them too. I spent about 8 months installing solar panels right after college. It was interesting and something that I’m glad I glad I did, but it was the worst job ever. Standing on slanted 125 degree surfaces all day takes its toll.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I read a lovely story in the paper this morning. In 2001, not long after 9-11, a group of teenagers burned a Sikh temple to the ground in a small town near Rochester, NY. It was part of a wave of violence against anyone who looked like they might be Muslim or Middle Eastern.

A film about the aftermath of the arson, "North of 49," was shown in Syracuse in 2004 by filmmaker Richard Breyer. One of the attendees brought a young baby who was fussing. The filmmaker took the infant so its mother could watch the film undisturbed. The baby was passed to others when someone wanted Breyer's attention during the screening.

At the film's end, “Ralph Singh, the head of the Sikh community, with his turban and beard, was holding the baby who was sleeping in his arms,” Breyer said. “The baby of the arsonist who burnt down his temple.”

The temple was rebuilt in 2008. The young mother, Cassie Phillips, is now a nurse and mother. “I can’t thank this community enough for all of the forgiveness and love given,” Phillips said in a written statement to the temple. “The most important message I could put out there for educators and parents is to teach your children about diversity, cultural difference, but most importantly teach them we are all the same. Teach them acts of kindness, we are all in this together.”

Article here in the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle. There may be a paywall, but if you subscribe to any USA Today network newspaper, you can access it.

Status
Not open for further replies.