Did you read any positive news lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. I'm strongly considering doing something similar here.

There's nothing to talk about, if you support stuffing human beings into over-crowded cages with no blankets, soap, toothpaste, food, water, or toilets. This administration is literally attempting to defend just exactly that, in court.

I do not support Trump, but I wonder - if such a policy is set in place - if it ends after he leaves office (or will continue if a member of his administration chooses to run for President, and makes it into the role, in the future).

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I do not support Trump, but I wonder - if such a policy is set in place - if it ends after he leaves office (or will continue if a member of his administration chooses to run for President, and makes it into the role, in the future).

I'd encourage you to read the policy if you haven't already - it's written quite narrowly. It's not blocking conservative views, or Republican views, just vocal support of blatantly white nationalist policies.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I'd encourage you to read the policy if you haven't already - it's written quite narrowly. It's not blocking conservative views, or Republican views, just vocal support of blatantly white nationalist policies.

I was unsure of how it might go here, if it would be implemented. Sounds like Trump is merely a model for a permanent policy. Cheers.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I was unsure of how it might go here, if it would be implemented. Sounds like Trump is merely a model for a permanent policy. Cheers.

It's a privately owned site. Mac has changed policies before. She can change or amend them at will. If she does make a change and the world shifts so it's no longer necessary, she can change it again.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
It's a privately owned site. Mac has changed policies before. She can change or amend them at will. If she does make a change and the world shifts so it's no longer necessary, she can change it again.

Awesome. Thank you.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Meh, if the next administration wants to put people in camps and defend that in court, too, we can cross that bridge when we get to it.

I'm failing to see what we gain by entertaining serious arguments defending that position, regardless of who's in office, to be frank.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Why bless their beer-lovin', Nazi-hatin' hearts! How good of them to nobly make the sacrifice of all their money to buy up that beer! Patriots! :e2drunk:
I can only hope they don't get all beered-up and attack the poor, sober, Neo-Nazis.

We will not look too closely at what happened to all the beer 'confiscated' by the authorities. Might be quite the Christmas party this year.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Bank of America announced it is cutting ties with "companies that run private prisons and detention centers."

“We have decided to exit the relationship’’ with companies that provide prison and immigration-detention services, Vice Chairman Anne Finucane said Wednesday in an interview. “We’ve done our due diligence that we said we would do at the annual meeting, and this is the decision we’ve made.’’

Key Speakers At The Bloomberg Year Ahead Summit
Anne FinucanePhotographer: Michael Nagle/Bloomberg
The move followed a review by the bank’s environmental, social and governance, or ESG, committee, which included site visits and consultation with clients, civil rights leaders, criminal justice experts and academics. The Charlotte, North Carolina-based lender also met with its internal Hispanic and black leaders.

This follows Chase's similar stand, taken in March. Wells Fargo is also halting loans to those companies.

I guess that's a small upside to a capitalist economy. If you're a bad enough corporate actor, you can get taken down by banks cutting off your access to cash flow.

Now, if we can just get Congress to stop propping them up...

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
It's amazing that big banks are doing this. I would have assumed that as long as the money was rolling in, they didn't give a damn about how it rolled.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My feel-good story is small scale. Six local teenagers went out in a boat on a local quarry. (I had no idea there is a local quarry.) The boat started taking on water. One of the kids called 911. They had to leave the boat, and one kid, the youngest at 14, was apparently injured getting out and disappeared. The others found him under water, brought him up, got him to shore, and performed CPR that they'd learned in school. By the time first responders arrived, the kid was sitting up and talking.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Good practical kids! And, good on the school for teaching CPR. Although a lesson on life-
jackets and water-safety wouldn't have gone amiss, either.
But a good outcome and happy news!

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Innocent Eritrean man is freed by Italian authorities after one of the most stunningly inept cases of mistaken identity in modern history.

Eritrean farmer Medhanie Tesfamariam Berhe was arrested in Khartoum in 2016 and whisked to Italy, where triumphant UK and Italian authorities announced that they had captured the notorious refugee smuggler Mered Medhanie, “one of the world’s most wanted people smugglers” and “the boss of one of the most important criminal groups operating in central Africa and Libya.”

Almost immediately friends, relatives, and victims of the smuggler Mered Medhanie arose to say No, that’s not him, he doesn’t even look like him.

At the same time friends, relatives, and neighbors of the alarmingly missing young farmer Medhanie Tesfamariam Berhe cried out, No, that’s not him, he doesn’t even look like him.

But rather than retracting the big dramatic announcement, made in the wake of urgent pressure to produce results, any results after the embarrassment of the deaths of hundreds of North African refugees trying to reach Europe, the Italian authorities and Britain’s National Crime Agency, who had worked together to seize and rendition the farmer, doubled down and insisted he was their man.

No witness who had met the smuggler was willing to testify that the man held in custody was the smuggler. In the three years since then the actual smuggler has posted messages on social media and has been photographed at weddings. The wife of the smuggler testified that the man held was not her husband. The mother of the arrested man gave a DNA test to prove he was not the smuggler, but Italian prosecutors refused to let it be submitted as evidence. A year later DNA from a son of the smuggler demonstrated he was no relative of the arrested man. To no avail. The prosecutors have held on to the bitter end, to this day still trying to throw the book at what could not more blatantly be an innocent man.

Earlier today Judge Alfredo Montalto of the criminal court of Palermo acquitted Medhanie Tesfamariam Berhe of all charges. He’s free to go.

I realize justice for the innocent is the only important thing, but I like to think the judge gave the prosecutors a good chewing out.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Innocent Eritrean man is freed by Italian authorities after one of the most stunningly inept cases of mistaken identity in modern history.

Eritrean farmer Medhanie Tesfamariam Berhe was arrested in Khartoum in 2016 and whisked to Italy, where triumphant UK and Italian authorities announced that they had captured the notorious refugee smuggler Mered Medhanie, “one of the world’s most wanted people smugglers” and “the boss of one of the most important criminal groups operating in central Africa and Libya.”

Almost immediately friends, relatives, and victims of the smuggler Mered Medhanie arose to say No, that’s not him, he doesn’t even look like him.

At the same time friends, relatives, and neighbors of the alarmingly missing young farmer Medhanie Tesfamariam Berhe cried out, No, that’s not him, he doesn’t even look like him.

But rather than retracting the big dramatic announcement, made in the wake of urgent pressure to produce results, any results after the embarrassment of the deaths of hundreds of North African refugees trying to reach Europe, the Italian authorities and Britain’s National Crime Agency, who had worked together to seize and rendition the farmer, doubled down and insisted he was their man.

No witness who had met the smuggler was willing to testify that the man held in custody was the smuggler. In the three years since then the actual smuggler has posted messages on social media and has been photographed at weddings. The wife of the smuggler testified that the man held was not her husband. The mother of the arrested man gave a DNA test to prove he was not the smuggler, but Italian prosecutors refused to let it be submitted as evidence. A year later DNA from a son of the smuggler demonstrated he was no relative of the arrested man. To no avail. The prosecutors have held on to the bitter end, to this day still trying to throw the book at what could not more blatantly be an innocent man.

Earlier today Judge Alfredo Montalto of the criminal court of Palermo acquitted Medhanie Tesfamariam Berhe of all charges. He’s free to go.

I realize justice for the innocent is the only important thing, but I like to think the judge gave the prosecutors a good chewing out.

I hope the judge gave, not only the prosecutors, but the whole 'results oriented' pack of them a good chewing out, with an a**-kicking to follow! It's not just about 'justice for the innocent', but also to protect future innocents. Make a headline-grabbing, step-by-step condemnation of the whole process, and maybe people will learn. To fear for their jobs, if nothing else.

I can't think of a case where (bolded) both sides agreed that the wrong man was kidnapped. It would have been so easy for the smuggler to snicker, let the farmer suffer in his name, and go on about his vicious business. The authorities would have probably claimed it was some relative, or other criminal, and started their 'search' all over again once the innocent man was dead. $$$. Your program loses funding if the target is caught.

But apparently the friends and family of the smuggler have more honesty and honor than various levels of police.

And, when I read 'Palermo' I Googled the judge. He's, well, on Google. He's known for handling a couple of big Mafia and corruption trials. He knows a crooked deal when he hears it. I wonder if he was chosen at random, or whether someone decided it was time to clear up this whole mess.

All in all, good work, and good wishes to those on the side of truth and justice.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My morning paper had a front page feel-good story today. Eleven years ago today, an EMT came home from his night shift and accidentally set off the house's alarm system, which he quickly silenced. His wife, already in her nursing scrubs for her day job, asked him to check on their seven-year-old son, who should have been awakened by the alarm but hadn't come out of his room. The boy had no heartbeat and was cold.

Because they had medical training, his parents knew what to do and did it, calling 911 and starting CPR. The boy's heartbeat was not restored until EMTs--the father's colleagues on the day shift--shocked the boy's heart three times. He'd been without a heartbeat for at least twelve minutes since the father found him, more likely far longer. Brain damage was highly likely.

He graduated from high school a month ago, and his parents tour schools and businesses in the area teaching CPR for free and encouraging defibrillator purchase in every place they visit.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
South Carolina Deputy Will Kimbro saved a twelve-day-old baby’s life after he pulled over a car for speeding and discovered it was because their baby wasn’t breathing.

The Berkeley County Sherriff's Office said as Deputy Will Kimbro pulled the vehicle over in South Carolina on June 11, the driver got out of the car and told him the baby had stopped breathing after drinking from her bottle.

The girl was limp and going blue from a lack of oxygen.

In the body-cam footage, Deputy Kimbro puts the girl on its mother's lap, checks her pulse, and then starts massaging her heart as part of emergency first aid.

"Come on, baby, cry for me. Cry for me. Open those eyes, sweetheart," he can be heard saying.

The girl eventually starts to cry, and Deputy Kimbro reassures her mother.

"As long as she's crying like that, she's breathing. I want you to cry. Come on," he said.

"I think she's going to be OK. She's breathing."

Paramedics arrived and took over, the baby went to hospital and is okay.

Deputy Kimbro was given a Life-Saving Medal.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
With hurricane Barry bearing down on New Orleans the roughly 16,000 members of Delta Sigma Theta sorority decided to end their annual convention early and head home. That left roughly 17,000 already prepared and paid for meals to go uneaten. The sorority donated them to the local food bank, which had available refrigerated storage. The meals will be used for local residents and first responders once the storm has passed. I don't have a link, but you can find the story on CNN.

MM

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Those are both wonderful stories, Alessandra and MM.

And that one about the good guy police officer was a real boon for me. I have two good guy police officers in the wip I've been working on since 2005. I'm editing it with an eye to querying before the end of the year. There've been so many horror stories of evil police out there, I was seriously thinking about asking if it was really okay to try to query this. Now I won't have to.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This video of a teacher refusing to answer if she's a citizen at a border checkpoint, is two years old, but it's good to remember that we entitled white people can push back against this malarkey more safely than some others can, and we'd better do it.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
A different note, but three new cubs have joined California's first (and so far only known) wolf pack to return to the state after the species was eliminated here almost a century ago.

https://ktla.com/2019/08/07/video-californias-only-known-wolf-pack-adds-3-pups/

I find it uplifting that in the middle of the the environmental crisis, the endangered species act and other policies have allowed nature to make some inroads.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tiny Homes Detroit
Cass Community Social Services is in the process of building 25 different Tiny Homes (250-400sf) in Detroit, MI.
Each home will be on its own lot (roughly 30 x 100 feet) and everyone will be on a foundation. Most will have a front porch or rear deck to increase the living space.
The residents will have a combination of experiences (formerly homeless people, senior citizens, college students and a few Cass staff members) but all will qualify as low-income.
At first, the residents will rent the homes. Anyone who remains for seven years will be given the opportunity to own the home and property.

A friend in another forum built a tiny house planning to live in it but things in her life changed so she donated it to this group. :Thumbs:

Status
Not open for further replies.