AW is an Amazon Affiliate

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

paypal subscribe button

How To Support AW

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Religious sayings you remember - even if you're no longer part of that religion

Threaded View

practical experience, FTW Melisande's Avatar
    I don't know if this counts as a religious saying but I do know that it is in the New Testament; Treat others as you wish to be treated yourself". Very good, that one.

And then there is this one, from my Grandmother who was a Seventh Day Adventist; "Everything happens in the order is has to". As an adult I asked her what she meant by that, and she said this; "Sometimes you have go through things in life that tastes like sh*t in your mouth, but when you turn around two years later and look back, you realize that it happened because it gave you the streangth to live through what you are facing today".

My Grandmother is my beacon, my idol and the most wonderful person whoever walked this Earth. I loved her, and lost her in 1983. She was then 86 years old, but still young at heart. She was a woman of steel and resolve, but also a woman with the greatest compassion and understanding. Whenever she said something I listened and believed her. I am not sure that this saying of hers actually has religious roots, but to me it has become something to live by.

I am a hard core non-believer (atheist as some would prefer) but the only Christmas songs I actually listen to by my own choice are religious. They move me to tears. I absolutely hate, and double-hate the sleighbell and santa tunes they spew out in stores all over the place.
    Last edited by Melisande; 10-16-2016 at 04:51 AM.
    "The shortest distance between two people is a smile"
    Victor Borge