Cathleen's Once Upon a Time Publishing Journey

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Self-publishing: What's Worked for Me and What Didn't So Far

I haven’t done that much with my self-publishing diary. Everyone else’s seems to mostly be about sales, and almost all mine have been inadvertent—in the small period after I put my book up for sale, before I can get Amazon to set my book to free.

But I am now in possession of three years of data on giveaways, and I thought some of it might be useful. Just so that we’re on the same page, I’m using total downloads as my measure of success.

In November of 2015, I pubbed Dragon Hoard and started acquiring some real, measurable data other than blog hits, so I thought I’d discuss this here.

Note: I was an active member of AW all three years that this data covers, but since that’s a constant and I’m monitoring variables, I’m just going to mention it here. It’s helped a great deal, but a lot of it had nothing to do with marketing, at least not directly. Mostly, AW’s helped me to be a better writer.

I worked hard on being a better writer during this time period. SYW, many beta exchanges, editing and revision on my own novels—it’s taken a great deal of my time, and that was a constant, too.

I tend to look at my results in terms of years--I look back and try to figure out what I can do better. Here’s what I’ve come up with so far.

giveaway-history-on-amazon-1.jpg

This is what trying to be a part of the Twitter community and blogging will get you, or at least what it netted me. I did #1lineWed, #SundayBlogShare, Folklore whatever—I can’t remember if was Tuesdays or Thursdays now, #amreading, #amwriting, Follow Friday, #blogbattle, #BookMarketingChat—basically, if it looked reasonably relevant, I was up for it. I tried to be a contributing member of all the microcommunities. It apparently paid off only in May, and I still have no idea why that month was so good.

At this time, other than blogging and tweeting, mostly I was working on submitting to ezines and anthologies. I still wasn’t sure that I was going to go SP with my novels, and I needed a great deal of reassurance that I had reached some sort of professional standard, at least with my short stories.

So, I was successful with that last—I had ten trade publications overall, but as you can see, it didn’t net me readers. That’s the first thing I wanted to note: pubbing short stories in ezines won’t get you an audience. The brand loyalty is to the publication, not the individual authors. Not enough people will go to your website to make it worthwhile as a marketing tactic.

For me, I don’t regret that year. Writing and submitting a lot of short stories made me a much better writer, and it gave me some confidence that I sorely needed. But I’ve heard it suggested that writers can build an audience this way, and that hasn’t been my experience.

Since 2016 didn’t net me the results I wanted, in 2017 I got intense with social media. Not so much the Twitter groups, since I didn’t see them working for me, but how to use SM for marketing. (In case anyone’s interested in details, I posted everything I learned, as I learned it, and it’s under the promotions tab on my blog.)

I added a scheduler to keep my posting more consistent. Mostly I did author quotes and funny memes, but I spent a ton of time working up ads for Dragon Hoard and Stolen Legacy as well. I let go the microcommunities on Twitter.

Mostly, I’ve found that social media is good for branding and keeping your name out there. For a time, I did a fair amount of book ads, although it never exceeded 1/8 of my feed. I think that was probably too much. I’m keeping it below ten percent now, scheduling my feed for perhaps two or three book ads a month on both Twitter and Facebook. And those are only for free books--I don't try to sell anything there.

This year I added Pinterest, which is something I’d recommend for all fantasy authors. I’ve put way less work for far more results into that platform than any other.

And as you can see from the graph, consistent posting netted me much more consistent results. And the spike in December is the result of publishing a book that was more in the crosshairs for what people look for at Christmas time, Twelve Tales of Christmas.

But that book did well--its spike ran up all the way to number two in a couple of categories, and I didn’t know how to help it along, other than blogging and SM, which are mostly long-term, slow burn strategies. I needed to learn more.

This year I finally joined kboards. I didn’t even know about it as a resource until late in 2017, and I wish I’d found out about it earlier. It certainly wasn’t perfect—any place populated by humans will have issues—but I could find out what was working and what wasn’t with far more frequency than my own little data could provide.

What I mostly got from kboards was a working knowledge of newsletter marketing. Posters there were very open about the campaigns they ran, what worked and what didn’t. I ran my first free promo, a precursor to this one (https://absolutewrite.com/forums/sh...r-little-fish-and-or-the-financially-impaired) in April, and if you look at the graph, you can see my volume never quite settled back to previous levels. I ran the same promo in October, November, and December, for The Golden Key, Dragon Hoard, and Twelve Tales respectively, for 730, 840, and 1200 total downloads. If you’re just trying to get people to know your name, which is all I’ve been trying to accomplish, it was more effective than anything I’ve done to date, barring releasing a popular book (by my standards).

I also learned a mistake not to make while marketing: https://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?338731-Don-t-Make-My-Mistake.

So, now I’ve got four books out, including Stolen Legacy, which is the only one I couldn’t give away at retailers since that’s my email reader magnet. Joanna Penn stated that it takes four books for readers to reliably remember your name, which is an incredibly depressing statistic, but that’s what I’ve been trying to accomplish.

The limiting factors there are Stolen Legacy, which has mostly just gone out to my email group, and out of 547 current subscribers, perhaps 250 have opened it, although I get a number of nice emails back on it. Maybe a hundred plus readers total. [insert sigh here]

The Golden Key, the other novelette I released this year, has 831 total downloads, free and paid (mostly free). I’ve given away thousands of copies of Dragon Hoard and Twelve Tales, so I have to hope that at least some of those recognize my name. Certainly those on my email list, although I have to figure out a subroutine to eliminate some of those on Mailerlite. I figure that since my welcome sequence is five emails long, if they don’t open six, there’s really no point. I trotted out my best stuff in that welcome series. Lots of freebies, mostly short stories.

On the email list, that’s gone well for me this past year. I’m up to 547, although after I scrub the list, I’ll be lucky to have 300. But supposedly, lower open rates affect deliverability somehow, and I only get a thousand free anyway. So, it’s not nothing, but it’s nowhere near what I need for consistent results.

My biggest single contributor there has been Voracious Readers Only (https://voraciousreadersonly.com/authors/). A year costs $150, although they have monthly plans, too, and for me, it’s been totally worth it. They’ve accounted for over ¾ of my new subscribers. Note: I am not an affiliate--I just like the service.

The other thing I worked very hard on in 2018 was branding, as in months. I took a free internet class and everything. Using feedback from kboards, I overhauled all my social media, blog, newsletter, etc., trying to get a consistent look across all my platforms. If anyone is feeling generous, I’d love comments on how well that worked (all the links are in my sig). Happy to return the favor.

Another swap I’d love to make is running through each other’s email welcome sequences. It’s tough to get real feedback on these, and I’d like to improve mine. This is where we keep people, or not.

I know it’s not a great deal in terms of results, but distressingly, I feel I’ve been slow. I’m cautious, and I get overwhelmed easily. I have a hard time believing in myself and my work. But these things are all surmountable challenges, so I keep working at it in small steps.

And a lot of this is just prequel. I’ve released two novella-length collections and two novelettes, and while I believe in all of them, they’re not novels. I have one novel, Bellerophon, ready to go once I listen to it a final time and format it. If my last, best beta friend can get through Snow White, parts 1 and 2, I’ll have those this year, and those are both novels, too. I also have another collection that’s almost ready. I already have covers and Hidden Gems appointments, so four releases could actually happen this year.

That would be nice. Hopefully, if I can manage that and learn how to promote on BookFunnel and Prolific Works, I’ll have more in the way of results next year.

As a codicil for anyone new, kboards is not the resource it once was. I’d like to request no commentary on this topic, since AW Admin told me that she’s received grief concerning kboards in the past, but I do want to provide a link so that people know what reasonable precautions to take if they choose to post there in the future: https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,267677.0.html. Basically, the new parent corporation now owns everything—your words, your avatar, even your book covers by their verbiage. I don’t see how they could possibly enforce the latter, but I don’t want to lawyer up to find out, either. I only post rarely now, and then from a stripped-down account.

Sorry for the length of this thing, although I hope something here was useful. :)

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Cathleen. Your detailed accounting and frankness about your self-publishing experience is much appreciated.

sandree

Registered
Reaction score
If you don’t want to use Kboards, an alternative is writersanctum.com. It was created by some people from kboards when things changed there.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Some really interesting information, Cathleen. Thanks for sharing.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
A quick update here for those who skip the Announcements subforum--Bellerophon: Son of Poseidon is out.

And, uh, it took four years. Eek. I never thought it would be that long. But it didn't feel ready until now. A lot of it wasn't just working that book, in my defense. I spent years editing a trilogy that will probably never see the light of day, which is disappointing, but I learned a lot doing it, so I'm chalking it up to learning curve.

bellerophon-cover-small-four-inches.jpg

At any rate, here's the blurb:

A single mistake can change a life forever.

Lero once had everything a man could want. The son of Poseidon, he was a gift from the gods to the queen of Corinth. But in one moment of foolish pride he lost everything—his family, his home, and the city he’d grown up expecting to rule.

Banished, Lero flees to Ethra, his betrothed, but the plans they’d made for a life together lay in ruins. With the coffers of Corinth no longer at his disposal, Lero now needs enough wealth to provide a home—and to hire warriors to defend it. His only option is to use his skills in the bloody art of war, selling his sword for the hope of a future.

King Proteus of Tiryns offers Lero that chance, but it doesn’t come free. Proteus maintains power with fear, and the intrigue in his court soon has Lero firmly in his grasp. Lero spends his days killing men he doesn’t hate for a king he can’t respect. And if he doesn’t find a way to escape soon, it’s likely the next life Proteus claims will be Lero’s own.

But trying to fight his way free may cost Lero everything he’s been fighting for…

Links, for anyone interested, are here: https://cathleentownsend.com/2019/03/25/bellerophon-son-of-poseidon-is-out/.

sandree

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on Bellerophon! Thanks for the detailed marketing info.

Are you giving free books away mostly through your newsletter. I’m not sure I understood how you do that.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
sandree, I gave away books through all major retailers for the last few years. All I wanted was for people to read me. Bellerophon was my first novel, so as far as I was concerned, the other books were my late apprenticeship work. I was fine with not getting paid for them.

But that all ended this year. Honestly, I'm not sure my free books netted me a whole lot. I'm certainly not tearing up the charts now that I'm selling. OTOH, I have no idea what it would be like without 700 email subscribers, 6k Twitter followers, blogging friends, etc. It's hard to carve out any digital attention.

Anyway, other than Dragon Hoard, which is permafree, if I give away a book, it's through BookFunnel. The idea of me trying to provide technical support to a confused would-be reader is laughable. So, in my welcome email, I include the BookFunnel link for subscribers to download Stolen Legacy, which is my email reader magnet.

And playground, thanks for the attagirl. :)

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Couldn't you self-publish the trilogy?

Sure, I'm self-published--that means I can do darn near anything. That doesn't mean it's wise.

Marian, maybe you'll get this response because you've got some familiarity with the work.

Hans and Greta is a trilogy that's three 100k+ novels long. The character development is really quite good, even though it's me saying it. It's well-structured and reasonably engaging in a line-edit sense.

However.

The magic doesn't start happening until a third of the the way through the first book. I'd be fine with the subject matter and Depression-era setting carrying the world-building load, but it misses the cross-hairs for most fantasy readers, even historical fantasy readers. Patrick, the second book, needs some restructuring still, and while I'm doing all that, I should really take another pass for weak verbs, since my drafts were riddled with them.

Or I could just write the selkie trilogy I've been thinking of--70k-ish apiece, drafts written at my current skill level instead of revised up from five years ago. It's for a much bigger audience and it sidesteps all that problematic potential from pissed-off readers over the religion and child abuse.

It just doesn't make sense to work on the one with a smaller potential audience. And besides...the selkie and crow-shifter tales are now, not five years ago. I've learned enough from editing H&G. I think I can be done with it now. : )

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on publishing Bellerophon: Son of Poseidon. Wishing you many sales!

Love the cover!

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
Cathleen, a little late, but I wanted to congratulate you on publishing Bellerophon! Wishing you many, many happy readers!

:snoopy:

AgathaChristieFan

proud writer
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on your new book! Good luck with sales. It sounds like you have a good game plan. Do you like Book Funnel? It seems like whenever an author sends me a link, I can’t download the book for some reason, then I end up just buying it. Maybe I’ll look into Book Funnel for promotional purposes

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
I like BookFunnel a lot so far, and I need to upgrade so I can join in on some of the promos. I'm going to take a long look at Story Origin, too...as soon as I finish editing for the next book. I've spent too much time lining up ducks. I need to get more books out there. : )

sandree

Registered
Reaction score
Selkies and crow shifters - love it.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
I finally pulled the trigger on Snow White and the Civil War, Parts 1 and 2. Right now, I’ve got a lot of strong feelings running after the seven year quest it took to publish this thing, and I wanted to talk about them. This is a place where I thought maybe a few people would understand.

Seven years. If you use the books as babies metaphor, Snow White would be a second-grader. I don’t know what to say about that bit. It seems awfully slow.

I don’t want to be embarrassed over it, though. This was the hardest thing I’ve ever done, and I needed the help of some truly talented people to do it (I’m looking at you, Tazlima and A. Graye).

I originally wrote seven novels back before I joined AW in 2014. Back then, my mission was simple. I believed I had good stories. I also knew they weren’t ready to be published, and I had no idea where to go to learn how to edit. Anyway, AW is where I took my first steps—I started beta swapping with other writers, plus writing a lot of short stories and posting on SYW.

Part 1, Snow White’s story, now comes in at 94k. It started out around 180k. I did the obvious stuff on my own, but I needed lots of help along the way. And because the original manuscript was so riddled with things like weak verbs and filters, it really took time. I had to become a better writer to do each pass.

I can tell you one thing for certain because I actually did it. It was easier to publish the first six books in my signature, all drafted after Snow, than to finish these two. That’s how hard it is to work with early drafts. I just wanted to put this out there because nobody likes to trunk stuff. But it wouldn’t be productive for me to try to revamp my first five novels, not unless I waited for years and maybe redrafted them.

Anyway, I just wanted to help people give themselves permission to do the same thing. Okay, I’m getting rid of two series-length ideas. But they won’t be the only ones I have. I can always think up more. And I’m better at telling stories now.

But this is also the end of an arc. I learned how to edit so I could publish my first seven novels. I’ve now pubbed everything I plan on pubbing from back then. I have no backlog of completed novels.

It’s kind of exciting, or at least it would be if I could fight my way out of the depression that seems to cloak everything right now. Vaccines are coming. There’s a light at the end of the tunnel. I keep telling myself this.

But at least I fought back enough to pub these two books. That’s a victory. I’m going to feel good about it.

(Quick note—Don’t buy Snow White, at least not part 1, not yet. I’m in the waiting stage where as soon as it’s published, there’s a bit of delay before I can get Amazon to set it to free. No point in paying for something that’s going to be permafree anyway.)

Last edited:

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Cathleen! I’ve been following your story, and I’m so impressed by your willingness to learn and take risks and get stuff out there. I’m another person with a backlog of stuff, much of which is unpublishable but some of which I may self-publish one of these days. So it’s inspiring to read about others doing the same.

AuthorSamantha

Registered
Reaction score
There's absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about. You just published 2 lengthy books, that's amazing. I can relate a little, because I pushed a book series to the back of my mind because I don't feel good enough to do it just yet, and that first draft was written 10 years ago. One day I'll get to it. Your covers look great btw.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Adding my congrats--and this thread prompted me to go read the first post in it--wow! Thank you for that information.

sandree

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Cathleen and big kudos for sticking with it and learning so much along the way. Your work ethic and knowledge gained is impressive!

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
So, to anyone here who might skip the Announcements subforum, Snow White and the Civil War, Parts 1 and 2 are out!

Locked away in her room, every word she speaks, every move she makes is monitored. The next attempt on her life may well succeed…

snow-white-covers-combo-larger.jpg

Gwen’s biggest fear used to be the suitors her father inflicted on her. She hated agreeing with everything any man said, especially if that meant she had to agree with slavery.

But then Gwen’s father brought home a new bride. Gwen’s stepmother is not only beautiful, she’s determined to make everyone do her bidding. And to make this happen, she has a formidable weapon—witchcraft. When Gwen refuses to participate, she finds herself living in helpless dread.

Now her stepmother is trying to kill her. The latest attempt, poison in her apple, nearly succeeded.

Spied on via the many mirrors in their house, Gwen has no chance at all of escape. But she must find a way, or the next attempt on her life may well be the last…

Snow White and the Civil War is a single story told in two volumes. The tale concludes in part 2, Plot of Gold.

So, Snow White is out, and it's doing fairly well. 20-ish downloads a day, although I'm hoping for better as my advertising kicks in. I had a lot of trouble with Amazon resetting the price from free to paid, and that cost me the first ten days of my release. Grrr.

It took seven years to pub this thing, but I've decided to be really proud anyway. And now I’m done messing around with early drafts. From here on out, I'll be moving forward, which is a good feeling.

So, if you were waiting for Snow White to be free to get it, it is now, so that's something. And I think it's a good read, which is something more.

People talk a lot about sales here, or they used to. This is my contribution.

Most of my marketing is through free books. Free books get people on my newsletter. These people then buy my little backlist. The only advertising I'm paying money for right now is for Voracious Readers Only, and that's to get people on my email list. Currently, it's sitting at around 1200, even after a couple of attempts at cleaning it. I also blog and have automated social media stuff on Twitter and Facebook.

This has resulted in between 100-200 free downloads a month and about a dozen sales across my entire catalog. Release months do better.

Hopefully, those numbers will continue to creep up with each new release. I have quite a few planned, so that’s a good thing. I just don’t pub four books a year. If I can do half that, I’m quite pleased. I’ve decided it’s more important to have the books be good (by my standards) than fast. I need to be proud of them to promote them.

And I wanted to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. : )

Formatting note: Sorry about the italics. I couldn't make them go away, even when I tried copying the whole post into Word, deleting the italics, and then reposting the standard font here. *insert shrug*

Last edited:

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Also, thank you, Woollybear, sandree, FuschiaGroan, and AuthorSamantha, for your kind words and encouragement. I tried to leave reps, and the site was having none of it. But I did want you all to know that it matters, reading them. It's very cheering to be cheered. : )