Laquan McDonald: Shot Oct 2014 by Police. Officer Charged Nov 24, 2015

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
You would think that after paying out millions of dollars, cash-strapped cities would not be anxious to keep this guy on the job. But apparently they were. That's the thing that puzzles me the most.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Goodbye and Good Riddance

It's not quite justice, but it is poetic justice. Anita Alvarez, the bumbling prosecutor who sat on the Laquan McDonald video for 400 days before being forced to release it, was defeated in the Cook County Democratic primary. Her challenger used a portion of the video in attack ads.

CHICAGO — Voters in the Chicago area on Tuesday voted out incumbent Cook County State’s Attorney Anita Alvarez, marking the downfall of the two-term prosecutor who was at the center of controversy following the release of disturbing video showing the police shooting death of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald.

Kim Foxx, a former assistant prosecutor whose candidacy received the backing of several prominent African-American politicians in the nation’s third-largest city, defeated Alvarez and former federal prosecutor Donna More for Democratic nomination and will face Republican candidate Christopher Pfannkuche in the November election.

Alvarez, who was the first Hispanic and woman to hold the office, had faced deep scrutiny since the court-ordered release nearly four months ago of the 2014 shooting that showed a white Chicago Police officer, Jason Van Dyke, pump 16 shots into the body of McDonald, who was African-American.

Alvarez announced first-degree murder charges against Van Dyke on the same day the video was released.

But because her office took 400 days to announce the charges and resisted public release of the video, there was widespread outrage in the African-American community. Protesters, who took to the streets for near-daily protests in the week after video’s release, called for her resignation as well as that of Mayor Rahm Emanuel.

Both refused and Alvarez promised to continue her fight. But the incident sparked a U.S. Justice Department civil rights investigation of the Chicago Police Department. Emanuel also decided to oust his police superintendent Garry McCarthy.

Last month, a coalition of politicians and activists petitioned the Cook County Circuity Court to appoint a special prosecutor to take over the case against Van Dyke. The call to replace Alvarez was backed by Rep. Danny Davis, Rep. Bobby Rush, and Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle. All three of the Democratic politicians also backed Foxx's candidacy.

The petitioners also charged that Alvarez has a long track record of being soft on cops.

She declined to prosecute an officer who allegedly lied under oath in 2011 in an attempt to boost evidence against a man accused of shooting a liquor store owner in a robbery. Alvarez has also faced criticism for the prosecution of Chicago Police officer Dante Servin, who was found not guilty last year of involuntary manslaughter for the 2012 shooting death of Rekia Boyd. A judge found that Alvarez's office should have charged the officer with a more serious offense.

Polling ahead of Tuesday’s contest showed a close race between Alvarez and Foxx, with More taking sizable chunk of the vote in her third-place finish.

But Fox ended up routing Alvarez. With 80% of the vote counted, Foxx had a 57%-to-29% lead over Alvarez.

Police Commissioner McCarthy fired. Prosecutor Alvarez booted. Now recall Rahm Emanuel and make a clean sweep of it.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If actions have consequences, so does inaction. Prosecutors who choose to coddle rather than charge cops who go rogue deserve to be defeated.

An activist group in Chicago hailed Anita Alvarez's ouster:

Update, 11:20 PM: Buzzfeed News reports that the activist group Assata’s Daughters has released a statement on the win:

Chicago Black youth kicked Anita Alvarez out of office. Just a month ago, Anita Alvarez was winning in the polls. Communities who refused to be killed and jailed and abused without any chance at justice refused to allow that to happen. We did this for Rekia. We did this for Laquan. We won’t stop until we’re free and Kim Foxx should know that well.

In Cleveland, Timothy McGinty, the D.A. who dragged the investigation into the Tamir Rice shooting out for over a year and manipulated a grand jury to not indict the officers involved was defeated in his bid for reelection.

GOOD! :yessmiley:fistpump

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Why do these people seem to so easily forget who, exactly, they signed on to serve?

Not the Mayor.
Not the Governor.
Not the police departments.

The PEOPLE, folks. The PEOPLE!

Am I glad that her own party rejected Anita Alvarez? Yes. I'm also glad that Toni Preckwinkle defeated the "Stroger machine" to become President of the Cook County Board.

But "better" is not the same as "good." Not when it comes to Chicago and Cook County.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Why do these people seem to so easily forget who, exactly, they signed on to serve?

Not the Mayor.
Not the Governor.

Am I glad that her own party rejected Anita Alvarez? Yes. I'm also glad that Toni Preckwinkle defeated the "Stroger machine" to become President of the Cook County Board.

But "better" is not the same as "good." Not when it comes to Chicago and Cook County.

To be fair, Toni Preckwinkle would be "good" no matter where she was. She is way beyond merely "better" than Chicago Machine politicians.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score

Not the Mayor.
Not the Governor.

I've got a nice bridge for sale. Cheap.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Very old thread, but Jason Van Dyke has been found guilty of second degree murder and guilty of aggravated battery (all 16 counts). Not guilty of official misconduct. They could have found him guilty of first degree murder.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Worth reviving for this new development. The video of this killing has always struck me as the most egregious of all the many recorded incidents of this kind we have endured in the past few years. It's hard to look at it and not see first-degree murder being committed. But they did nail him on all 16 counts of the battery charge, one for each bullet he fired. Hopefully the sentences will be set to run consecutively.

caw

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Worth reviving for this new development. The video of this killing has always struck me as the most egregious of all the many recorded incidents of this kind we have endured in the past few years....
Me too, along with shooting Walter Scott in the back. Shooting Tamir Rice within seconds of getting out of their car and killing that poor man in the Walmart are close seconds.

Seeing the cop get out of his car and just shoot that kid was terrible. I'm glad they convicted him.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Me too, along with shooting Walter Scott in the back. Shooting Tamir Rice within seconds of getting out of their car and killing that poor man in the Walmart are close seconds.

Seeing the cop get out of his car and just shoot that kid was terrible. I'm glad they convicted him.
Those all haunt me. And in either all or most cases (I'm fuzzy today), video showed that the shooter and usually other officers lied about how it happened. In the murder of Laquan McDonald, three other officers face felony charges for lying in reports.

Officer Thomas Gaffney, former Detective David March and ex-Officer Joseph Walsh are charged with conspiracy, official misconduct and obstruction of justice. The documents also point to several other officers who were at the scene or involved in the investigation and allegedly worked to protect Van Dyke.

Prosecutors allege the three officers said the black teenager had battered, assaulted and attacked the white officer.

The three officers are scheduled to appear in court Oct. 30.

I'll check for updates.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think the muted response to the conviction is in part because it came during the whole Kavanaugh Supreme Court sideshow and also because it simply doesn't happen enough to know what the proper reaction should be.

A young man is dead. A cop is disgraced, convicted and goes to jail. A community and a police department are no closer today than they were before. Nobody wins and everybody loses a little something.

Justice is always necessary, but it's not always satisfying.