Laquan McDonald: Shot Oct 2014 by Police. Officer Charged Nov 24, 2015

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Just hours before a court-ordered release of the dashcam footage that showed the shooting. I saw the footage via local ABC TV Station channel 7. It's a shooting. So it's shocking. The video autoplays, so be warned.

I am intensely troubled that the officer was not only not charged, but not even off the streets until just before the release of this video. Do a thorough and deliberate investigation, sure. The video shows an officer kicking something from Laquan's hand, though I can't tell what it is. I mean, can NO ONE in charge realize how this looks? That this was hoorible timing?

Oh, and the officer is charged with 1st Degree Murder.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, this one's really difficult to understand how it took so long to file charges. It's pretty clear from the video what happened, and also pretty damning that the cop emptied his clip after McDonald was down, and not a single other cop on the scene (of which there were many) fired a single shot. Also pretty clear the City of Chicago knew it had a big problem, since it settled with the family for $5 million without a lawsuit even being filed.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Not horrible timing at all. The court ordered release of the tape forced the hand of the Police Department to charge the officer. If the tape had been all over the TV news and the officer was still working at his job, there would not have been protests all over Chicago, there would have been riots.

The officer was clearly kicking away a knife that that victim had been carrying. It's also clear that that victim was, indeed carrying a knife. Nonetheless, there is no excuse for what the officer did, and murder is an appropriate charge.

People carrying knives are certainly dangerous as has been noted before.

Here's a clip of a shooting of a knife wielding man police in Massachusetts encountered from a couple of months ago. It's not graphic, because the actual shooting has been edited out. But here, you have a man carrying a knife, walking away from police, and refusing to listen to them. But they don't shoot him – not until he charges them and becomes a deadly threat.

I am posting this particular clip not to show how dangerous people with knives are, but to show exactly how different, and how wrong the Chicago shooting was.

http://m.wcvb.com/news/dashboard-video-shows-fatal-shooting-of-man-who-ran-at-police/35493596

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One of the wonders of technology is with nothing more than a phone we can now watch a man get executed. Bully for us.

Drawing lines in the sand are not a good way to change the mind of the skeptic or move the undecided to decide. There comes a time when everyone must plant their flag and commit to something.

I am opposed to police misconduct without accountability and without punishment. The shooting of Laquan McDonald is only the latest episode of a long-running bad TV show and we've seen this particular program play out time and time again in multiple American cities with Tamir Rice in Cleveland, Samuel DuBose in Cincinnati, Eric Garner in New York, or Walter Scott in South Carolina.

Either you're aghast at this sort of violence or you're accepting of it. Ambivalence is a kind word for apathy. Choosing no side is choosing the side of the oppressor, not the oppressed. This isn't black or white and it's not Black or White. It's a shade of gray where the rights of American citizens, specifically people of color, is seemingly at odd with the rule of law and the necessity of law enforcement officials to perform their jobs without placing themselves or others at risk.

The dilemma for the police is they are giving extraordinary power to do their jobs and with that power has come far greater scrutiny on how they are doing that job. Not surprisingly many cops don't like the ramped-up scrutiny, but a former NYPD captain says it has to be this way to get better policing.

THE director of the F.B.I., James B. Comey, recently offered an explanation for a reported uptick of violent crime in some of our cities. “A chill wind,” he said, “has blown through American law enforcement over the last year” — a reference to the so-called Ferguson effect that increased scrutiny on police conduct has led to reduced law enforcement in some urban neighborhoods.

I share his concern about any crime increase. I hear the fears of many of my Brooklyn constituents about the gun violence that plagues pockets of our borough. But I disagree with Mr. Comey that scrutiny of police behavior is the problem. I believe it’s part of the solution.

First, let me take you back to the way policing used to be. Years ago, a group of men walked into a Harlem bar with bats and hatchet handles. Moments later, they’d left their calling card: broken bones and fractured skulls.

This wasn’t a robbery, but restitution. Earlier in the day, a young patrol officer had been attacked by unruly patrons of the bar. This cop’s off-duty brothers in arms made sure to give anyone there a strong “attitude adjustment.”

My New York Police Department instructor shared this story with me and my fellow recruits to explain “shaking the tree” — how the community had a price to pay for the assault on an officer. No one would dare report the incident, we were told, because it would be the officers’ word against the public’s — no contest.

For many years, this was the world in which our nation’s police agencies operated. What happened in the darkness of inner-city streets was between the police and whoever was on the other side of the nightstick and, on occasion, a gun. The police reports all read the same: The suspect had a shiny object, he reached for something, he forced me to act in self-defense.

This was an inextricable part of the policing culture in America, and many Americans benefited from these aggressive tactics if their streets were safer. Frankly, we as a nation ignored how people were treated to get the results.

Contrast that era with today. Any civilian with a smartphone can now document a true account of a police encounter. Every time police officers take action, they should assume they’re being recorded.

Even for an overwhelming majority of officers who uphold their duty to protect the public with honor and respect, this has had real psychological impact. Rarely has a profession with so much unchecked power been checked in such emphatic fashion by ordinary civilians, not the government.

It’s clear that reckless aggression won’t go unpunished. Back in the era of darkness, a harsh tackle and undue handcuffing — even of a celebrity like the tennis star James Blake — would have been resolved with, at best, an apology from the officer or, more likely, a disorderly conduct arrest to cover up the error. But a phone camera in the hand of any passer-by means that a cover-up is not an option. The shooting in April in North Charleston, S.C., of Walter Scott by Police Officer Michael Slager brought this into sharp focus.

Some officers resent and fear the idea of being second-guessed. But as a former officer myself, I recognize this as discomfort at being scrutinized at all.

There is anger in police departments across the country among officers who feel betrayed by a public that gained by the old-school tactics. But the problem is that the profession is not adapting fast enough.

Police departments have no choice but to embrace the notion not only that scrutiny is inevitable, but also that it will lead to better policing. This includes the adoption of body cameras. We should have body cameras at all times and release footage in all situations, provided that such release would not compromise public safety. Law enforcement should embrace this because the record shows that advances like dashboard cameras more often than not vindicate good police work.

We must shine a light on all of this. New technologies like body cameras need to be part of a forward-thinking mind-set that encourages cooperation and puts safety first, for the police and the community alike. The era of darkness is over.

There is no such thing as a little bit pregnant and a little bit of police brutality is too much. The problem is clear, but the solutions far less so. Doesn't matter. This Cold War between the police and communities of color must end before it gets hotter and even bloodier for both sides. Now is the time to say "enough."

Commit, or get off the pot.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know what it's like to be a cop, to walk in their shoes, to face the dangers they face, but I'm not sure if when we see these kinds of egregious examples of cops shooting first and asking no questions at all, it's not a cop thing as much as a personality thing. A guy who would have been a bad actor regardless of what world he found himself in--and the only way in which it is relevant to his occupation, other than how it played out, was that there is a type of person who is probably drawn to police work for all the wrong reasons, for the power trip, anger issues, etc. We all know that it is a very small percentage, but it only take a few % points to create dire consequences.

I don't know what would possess this guy to fire on this kid who was walking away. He was the only one who did it, and then he emptied the fuckin' gun--what? Why the fuck? I don't get it. Just like that 12 year old kid in Cleveland playing with a toy gun in the park. Cops pull into the park and immediately open fire. No questions, no conversations, no fucking bullhorn telling the kid to put down his 'weapon'. You could almost see it, if there were other people in the park that were in danger. But, from what the video showed, there was no one. The kid was alone! I don't get it. I understand why people, black people especially, are pissed off. Jesus Christ, what fuckin' year is it anyway? Century!

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I don't know what would possess this guy to fire on this kid who was walking away. He was the only one who did it, and then he emptied the fuckin' gun--what? Why the fuck? I don't get it.
Oh, there's more. According to reports, Officer Van Dyke was reloading, as if he was going to keep firing. A fellow officer reportedly told him to stand down. CNN commentator Mel Robbins has some choice words for the leaders of Chicago:
This is a disgrace. Chicago officials had an opportunity to be courageous; instead they were cowards.
and
True leaders don't hide the truth, they reveal it. True leaders focus on doing what's right. Not delaying the tough decision until it "feels" like the right time.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Tom Fuentes, former FBI Assistant Director, on CNN, "I don't see where this investigation should have been that complicated to take an entire year to do it...all of the officers involved in the investigation were sickened by what happened...you can't train a pitbull to be a chihuahua. You can't hire sociopathic cops..."

So, you wonder, what was it that they were afraid of? The publicity, the payment, or the protests?

Last edited:

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tom Fuentes, former FBI Assistant Director, on CNN, "I don't see where this investigation should have been that complicated to take an entire year to do it...all of the officers involved in the investigation were sickened by what happened...you can't train a pitbull to be a chihuahua. You can't hire sociopathic cops..."

So, you wonder, what was it that they were afraid of? The publicity, the payment, or the protests?

All of the above.

It doesn't take a year to paint a house. Cuyahoga County D.A. Timothy McGinty has taken over a year to conduct a whitewash.
Two new reports prepared for the Cuyahoga County Prosecutor’s Office said the death of 12-year-old Tamir Rice, shot and killed by Cleveland Police Officer Timothy Loehmann, was reasonable.

On Nov. 22, the day of the shooting, a local man called 911 and said he saw a Black male waving a gun, which was actually a realistic-looking toy pellet gun, in a Cleveland playground. A video of the events that later went viral shows Loehmann fired on Rice within moments of arriving on the scene. Rice was not pointing the gun when Loehmann shot him.

Authors of the new reports released Saturday night by the prosecutor’s office are S. Lamar Sims, a Denver, Colorado-based prosecutor; and Kimberly Crawford, a retired FBI agent. The two worked independently of each other in reviewing the case.

In Sims’ report, he concluded:
There can be no doubt that Rice’s death was tragic and, indeed, when one considers his age, heartbreaking … I conclude that Officer Loehmann’s belief that Rice posed a threat of serious physical harm or death was objectively reasonable as was his response to that perceived threat.

Crawford evaluated Loehmann’s actions under the U.S. Constitution.

“When he exited the police car, the officer was likely focused on Rice’s hands as they moved to his waist and lifted his jacket, and not on Rice’s age,” she wrote. “Even if Officer Loehmann was aware of Rice’s age, it would not have made his use of force unreasonable. A twelve-year-old with a gun, unquestionably old enough to pull a trigger, poses a threat equal to that of a full-grown adult in a similar situation.”

She wrote in her conclusion:
According to the Supreme Court, the standard that must be used to evaluate a law enforcement officer’s use of deadly force is one of objective reasonableness … It is my conclusion that Officer Loehmann’s use of deadly force falls within the realm of reasonableness under the dictates of the Fourth Amendment.

All signs point to one conclusion if McGinty's grand jury ever ends its goddamn inquiry: Tamir Rice was responsible for his own death. The fix is in. It' s a small wonder Cleveland hasn't already gone up in flames when what is coming next is so obvious even Ray Charles could see it and he's blind and dead.

Whenever I hear right-wingers and so-called "liberals"bitch about the tactics #BlackLivesMatter employ which I confess can be at times obnoxious, offensive and frightening, my question them is what would you have them do? What other recourse is there to take when White prosecutors twist their White-written "laws" to protect murderous White cops?

When protesters chant "Black Lives Matter" the answer from the halls of American justice is, "Not here they don't" and justice becomes impossible violence becomes inevitable. Then we'll really see something nobody's ready for.

At that time when all hell breaks loose, before a brick is thrown or a trigger squeezed, I hope everyone conducts themselves with a modicum of "objective reasonableness." :rolleyes

BoF

Cautious Daredevil
Registered
Reaction score
It appears from this Washington Post article that Van Dyke would not have been on the Chicago police force were it not for a “code silence” and a failure of the internal affairs department to take its job seriously. Call it a "white wash," if you will.

And he has largely operated with impunity and under a code of silence with the same huddle of officers again and again,” the Invisible Institute’s Alison Flowers told Chicago ABC affiliate WLS.

The allegations against Van Dyke include 10 complaints of excessive force, including two incidents where he allegedly used a firearm, causing injury. He was also accused of improper searches and making racially or ethnically biased remarks. Four of the allegations were proven factual, but Van Dyke’s actions were deemed lawful.

The data shows that it’s rare for any officers to be penalized, and white officers were half as likely as black ones to be disciplined for a complaint. More than 60 percent of allegations that resulted in discipline came from white citizens, even though they accounted for just 20 percent of complainants. (Black complainants were also much more likely to fail to file an affidavit, a necessary step in the investigation process, which may account for some of the disparity.)

Regardless of race, it was extremely rare for allegations of any kind to be upheld — four percent of the 56,361 allegations were sustained. And it was even rarer for officers to be disciplined with more than a reprimand or a suspension of less than 10 days.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...oting-has-a-history-of-misconduct-complaints/

You can put a badge on a thug and you’ve got an empowered thug. And when the department itself refuses to reign in the thug, it leads to moral mayhem. Apparently the Chicago Police Dept. learned nothing from Jon Burge.
http://chicago.suntimes.com/chicago...silence-condemns-5-5-million-reparations-fund

Last edited:

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know what it's like to be a cop, to walk in their shoes, to face the dangers they face, but I'm not sure if when we see these kinds of egregious examples of cops shooting first and asking no questions at all, it's not a cop thing as much as a personality thing. A guy who would have been a bad actor regardless of what world he found himself in--and the only way in which it is relevant to his occupation, other than how it played out, was that there is a type of person who is probably drawn to police work for all the wrong reasons, for the power trip, anger issues, etc. We all know that it is a very small percentage, but it only take a few % points to create dire consequences.

I think a lot of times, it's a personality flaw of the officer's--they're abusive, have anger issues, etc. Other times, I think it's a matter of an officer panicking and overreacting, which is harder to predict.

I get that cops face a ton of pressure and find themselves in situations where they have to make life or death decisions very quickly, and they're not always going to be perfect. But I think people would be a lot less likely to defend, say, a firefighter who runs screaming at the sight of fire or a paramedic who refuses to help someone because their injury is too grisly to look at. Being able to handle difficult situations without letting anger or fear distort your judgment is a critical part of being a cop. It's not easy, but it's supposed to be part of what differentiates cops (who are trained) from average citizens (who usually are not).

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Laquan Mc Donald's death didn't occur last week. It was over a year ago which makes it vitally important to remember there was a state attorney who could have filed murder charges against Jason Van Dyke anytime during the year before the video was finally released after it a lawsuit by journalists forced the Chicago authorities to.

That attorney's name is Anita Alvarez and she should resign or be defeated when she runs for reelection.

One of the central players in the aftermath of Laquan McDonald’s death at the hands of a Chicago police officer has been Anita Alvarez, the Cook County state’s attorney. Alvarez, who was elected as the county’s top prosecutor in 2008, was tasked with investigating McDonald’s death and deciding whether to bring charges against Jason Van Dyke, the officer who shot him. It took Alvarez a full 13 months to make that decision, and now that Van Dyke has been charged with first-degree murder, many are asking what took so long. The National Bar Association has gone so far as to call for Alvarez’s resignation, saying in a statement that “it is unacceptable that it took over a year to file these charges.”

Alvarez’s decision-making during the investigation of Van Dyke holds special relevance in light of the re-election contest she faces in March. Among her challengers is Kim Foxx, a former prosecutor in Cook County who is running on a reform platform, and who has not been shy about condemning her old boss’s handling of the McDonald case.

Laquan McDonald was killed more than a year ago. Why did it take so long for charges to be filed against the officer who shot him?

It did not need to take 13 months for this case to come to a resolution. I worked as a prosecutor here in Cook County for 12 years, and had the benefit of reviewing cases in our felony review unit, and I can tell you this was what we would consider to be a slam dunk. It’s not a matter of whodunit. You know who did it. You had a videotape and a vantage point that clearly shows where Laquan was in relation to the officer. You had eyewitnesses, both civilian and police. You had the autopsy report, which was available within days. So this wasn’t difficult. This was a case that really just sits in your lap. It is a false narrative to suggest that this case was so highly complex that it takes 13 months. That is a false narrative. It is a lie. There are special things you have to do when you’re looking at a police shooting. There is an extra layer of due diligence that you have to do. But that doesn’t take months.

So what I would say is it took 13 months because they were waiting for the heat of Ferguson to die down. Laquan McDonald was killed in October of ’14, which was two months after Ferguson. This was a case that was eerily similar to that one, and the state’s attorney’s office didn’t want the heat.

Why would having the charges against Van Dyke come down in the immediate aftermath of Ferguson be undesirable, from the perspective of the state’s attorney’s office?

I think they didn’t want civil unrest. If you see the video, it’s so egregious that on the heels of Ferguson, where you could get away with a BS grand jury—like, “Oh no, they couldn’t indict, what can you do?”—in a case like this, you can’t shrug it off. It’s right there. And I think there was a fear—and I don’t think it was just the state’s attorney, I think it was the city as a whole, and the mayor, and the police department: everyone was concerned about the image of Chicago and what would happen if Chicago added its name to the list of places where young African-American men were being shot at the hands of police.

How would you have handled this investigation differently?

First and foremost transparency in these types of cases is critical ... So at a minimum I would have not encouraged or been complicit with the city’s suppression of the video. I would not have gone along with that. And the argument that it would taint his ability to get a fair trial, or it’s prejudicial—it is what it is. It’s public. It’s a video from a dashcam. It’s public.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Yeah, this one's really difficult to understand how it took so long to file charges.

"yeah, what's up with that?" - mayor rahm emanuel, after fighting the release of the video until he narrowly won a run-off election

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Rahm Emanuel leaves a trail of slime behind him when he walks. From Xelebes' link:

For four and a half years, Emanuel had stood by McCarthy through various rocky patches, including a major spike in homicides and a number of high-profile murders and shootings of young children caught in the gang gunfire of Chicago's most violent neighborhoods. Then came the intense criticism of how the two handled the police shooting of 17-year-old McDonald. After Cook County prosecutors charged Officer Jason Van Dyke with first-degree murder a week ago, federal prosecutors disclosed that their probe of the fatal shooting, which was announced in April, remains "active and ongoing."

Van Dyke shot McDonald along a stretch of Pulaski Road near 41st Street in October 2014. For much of the last year, Emanuel and his lawyers fought in court to keep a police dash-camera video of the shooting under wraps, arguing that releasing it publicly could interfere with a state's attorney and federal investigations into the shooting.

As the mayor and McCarthy both prepared for the fallout of hundreds of thousands of people watching the video of Van Dyke repeatedly shooting McDonald, both sought to portray the incident as the case of a bad apple that did not reflect more systemic problems in the department.

But for many Chicagoans, the story of McDonald's death held an all-too-familiar set of circumstances: City Hall initially casts the incident as an act of police self-defense only for the facts to bear out a different story later.

Immediately after the shooting on Oct. 20, 2014, a Chicago police union spokesman said that McDonald had lunged at officers before he was killed. And in an official statement the next day, Chicago police said McDonald "refused to comply with orders to drop the knife and continued to approach the officers." The video, however, showed McDonald walking down the street, away from officers as Van Dyke opened fire.

With that video airing on newscasts across the country and online around the world, McCarthy and Emanuel's one-bad-apple narrative of Van Dyke's actions didn't square with Chicago's sordid police history that once again was back in the national spotlight. Serving as the backdrop: decades worth of police torture and wrongful conviction cases, corruption and ineffectual oversight in shootings and other excessive force actions. Time and again, the department had quickly cleared officers of allegations, only to have civil litigation later reveal video and other evidence that painted a much darker picture of police misconduct.

It took Emanuel more than a week after Van Dyke was charged with murder to publicly address the notion, appointing a task force to make recommendations to improve police accountability. It was the type of announcement many politicians make when faced with a crisis to buy time and create breathing room.

Never let a perfectly good crisis go to waste, eh, Rahm?

He stood by McCarthy when it was comfortable for him to do so, but when the seats got hot, he kicked him to the curb. Does Emanuel think people are gonna forget for over a year he said about the commissioner, "He's my guy! He's my guy! How many times you want me say it? He's still my guy!"

Then boom! When it became apparent Emanuel had to do something, "He's not my guy." It's a dick move by a douche nozzle.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ten Things You Should Know About the Laquan McDonald Murder:

1. The police dash-cam footage starkly contradicts the initial police narrative of what happened. A spokesman for Chicago's police union said at the time of the shooting that Van Dyke had fired his gun after McDonald lunged at him with a knife, defying an order to drop his weapon. But the video shows that McDonald was first shot while facing away from the officers, and apparently many more times after falling wounded to the ground. An autopsy report showed that Van Dyke shot McDonald a total of 16 times—in the chest, back, neck, scalp, arms, and right hand and leg.
2. Officer Van Dyke had at least 20 previous complaints and two lawsuits filed against him. Since joining the Chicago Police Department in 2001, 37-year-old Van Dyke has been accused of using racial slurs, manhandling suspects, and unjustifiably pointing his gun at arrestees. None of the complaints resulted in disciplinary action, but a jury awarded a Chicago man $350,000 after finding that Van Dyke had used excessive force during a traffic stop.
3. Chicago authorities really didn't want people to see this footage. The police department denied more than a dozen Freedom of Information Act requests seeking release of this footage, which came from a police car's dashboard camera, and five other videos of the incident. The footage was made public only after a freelance reporter, Brandon Smith, sued the department and a state judge ordered its release. It gets worse, though. Earlier this year, a district manager for the Burger King chain told a federal grand jury that several police officers had entered a Burger King near the scene of the shooting shortly after the incident and deleted 86 minutes of footage from the restaurant's security cameras.
4. The city settled with McDonald's family—shortly after the mayor's reelection. In a highly unusual movethis past April, the Chicago City Council approved a preemptive $5 million settlement with the family, which had not yet filed a lawsuit in the case. It might have settled earlier, according to a critical op-ed in the New York Times, except there were electoral considerations at play—namely, Mayor Rahm Emanuel was engaged in a tight race to keep his place at the helm. Members of the 50-member council's black and Latino caucuses have since accused State's Attorney Alvarez and Police Superintendent McCarthy of trying to hide the shooting from the public, and have called for their removal. They've promised to hold a public hearing on city officials' handling of the case.
5. The McDonald family didn't want the video released, either. The boy's mother "did not want to see and has not seen the video of her son's execution—and what mother would want to see that replayed?" a family lawyer told MSNBC. But he added that the mother has had a "mixed reaction" to the release and is "relieved" that Van Dyke is facing criminal charges. The family has called on demonstrators to keep it peaceful.
6. The way the city actually released the video was kind of sketchy. Journalists were given a one-hour window to download the video from a password-protected website.It included no audio, though audio exists. And Smith, the freelancer who successfully sued to make the video public, was barred from the press conference where city officials announced they would be releasing the video.
7. Van Dyke is the first Chicago cop in nearly 35 years to be charged with murder for an on-duty shooting. The Chicago Sun Times reports that Chicago's Independent Police Review Authority has investigated nearly 400 police shootings since its creation in 2007, and only one of those shootings has been deemed unjustified. This is consistent with national figures: The Washington Post found in April that only 54 officers had been charged, out of thousands of police shootings that had taken place since 2005.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
6. The way the city actually released the video was kind of sketchy. Journalists were given a one-hour window to download the video from a password-protected website.It included no audio, though audio exists. And Smith, the freelancer who successfully sued to make the video public, was barred from the press conference where city officials announced they would be releasing the video.
Minor point. I think Mother Jones has this one wrong. The part in Red.

According to local news reports:
Wednesday night, a Chicago police official said there was no audio because the batteries in the dash-cams had been put in improperly and facing the wrong direction, which disables the audio part of the recorder. CPD says officers responsible for maintaining their dash-cams are being retrained to avoid this.

I make no claims as to the veracity of that assertion.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
Wednesday night, a Chicago police official said there was no audio because the batteries in the dash-cams had been put in improperly and facing the wrong direction, which disables the audio part of the recorder. CPD says officers responsible for maintaining their dash-cams are being retrained to avoid this.

As someone with electrical engineering degree who actually has experience designing circuits, I'm extremely skeptical of this explanation. If the batteries were put in backwards, it would seem to me that the entire circuitry would have the voltages reversed, and the system wouldn't work at all. Especially any circuitry that involves transistors or diodes. In fact, we used to put a diode in the very front of our circuitry to protect from the reverse voltage being applied, which basically blocked current from getting to the rest of the circuitry and damaging it.

M.N Thorne

Registered
Reaction score
Here is my take on this situation;many police officers often have other tides to different organizations such as gangs, racist organizations, and other things. Everyone knows that many police officers have been members of neo-nazi, klan, or black power organizations. This officer shot Mr. McDonald several times due to him being a black young man. He hates blacks and want to kill us without merit. Even if this young man was walking across the street wrong...he would have gotten shot by this officer.This may sound very harsh but Chicago police forced wanted to get rid of this tape because they really do not care about blacks or other minorities. If you go on stormfront, you will see where this officer is praised and they are raising funds for him as we speak. They did the same thing for Officer Wilson!

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Update:

Mayor Rahm Emanuel has said he didn't understand the gravity of Laquan McDonald's shooting death at the hands of a Chicago police officer until just before the city settled with the teen's family last spring, and that he wasn't aware other officers may have falsified reports about the shooting until just after the video was released to the public.
But interviews, official city calendars and emails show in both cases the mayor's closest aides and City Hall attorneys knew much earlier than that.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Here is my take on this situation;many police officers often have other tides to different organizations such as gangs, racist organizations, and other things. Everyone knows that many police officers have been members of neo-nazi, klan, or black power organizations. This officer shot Mr. McDonald several times due to him being a black young man. He hates blacks and want to kill us without merit. Even if this young man was walking across the street wrong...he would have gotten shot by this officer.This may sound very harsh but Chicago police forced wanted to get rid of this tape because they really do not care about blacks or other minorities. If you go on stormfront, you will see where this officer is praised and they are raising funds for him as we speak. They did the same thing for Officer Wilson!

For the record, everyone does not know that. But it's a good way to tarnish all officers and say they most likely are racist without having to offer proof.

This shouldn't be read as a defense of the officers in this situation as I will offer no defense, but let's not just say officers are most likely KKK or neo Nazi's just because...