dramatically lit but
distant. Reality
is a guessing game.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What keeps bringing me back here to read this again is not the exquisite economy of the language (which I have come to expect from you, with pleasure) but how the title seems in contradistinction to the very measured and disengaged tone of the poem. The title leads me to expect a passionate cry instead of a rather dry (though quite elegant) description of a view, and I wonder why you did that.

:)

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
That first stanza is quite biting:
What passes for past, history repeating itself, not living in the moment. All so compactly and truly expressed.
The second is nearly an accusation of letting those things create "reality"
Wonderful poem and a very sharp focus on what may or may not be a real view. That distance in the poem's image and tone; It's perfect.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Further thoughts about my response to the title: I now see it as less of a contrast, mainly due to the word "gathered". At first I was bemused by the "screaming wind" part, which led to my initial reaction. Had the verb been something like "torn" then yes, there would be a contradiction (and still an interesting one) but this reads as picking up what the wind has dropped, and piecing together what remains. So it feels more congruent to me than it did initially.

Trippy, man. :greenie

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I apologize to William and to all of you. My analysis seems a bit overwrought even to me, it might well be completely off-base and not remotely be what William means, and it will take me far more words to explain than the actual poem contains. Yet there it is and it refuses to get out of my face, so there is nothing to be done but type it up and share it. I think I can make a decent case for it from the text, at least. And god help you all, I shall.

As with William's last poem, my analysis of this one hangs on the title -- indeed, on a single word in the title: "screaming." If the poem were titled "Lost Words Gathered from the Wind" or in the wake of the wind or something similar, my analysis would be different. The poem minus the title, as Trish and Kyla noted, has a distant, disengaged quality. But read with the title, it gives me an entirely different view.

To me, a "screaming" wind speaks of hurricanes and tornadoes -- trees uprooted, signs wrenched from their hinges and sent hurtling into windows -- of destruction, disaster, turmoil and devastation. The "lost" words of this poem are "gathered" from "a screaming wind" -- to me, that signals that the words have been pulled together in the face of a unnamed disaster (I lean toward a personal one rather than an actual hurricane) that has wrenched them from their moorings and scattered them. Indeed, since the words are gathered "from" the wind, rather than in its wake, I tend to think the storm is still ongoing. Either way, I cannot look at the distant tone of the poem without remembering the maelstrom from which its words emerge.

This idea is continued (for me, anyway) in the first stanza. The narrator's memories are in fragments -- I'd guess they've been smashed by the screaming winds -- and he has pieced what is left of them together. But these "mosaics of fragmented memories" "pass for the past" -- they do not
accurately reflect it. Nonetheless, both the present and future are affected by the narrator's carefully reconstructed view of the past. It "suppress[es]" the present. (Perhaps, in the wake of the storm, the present is too painful to do anything but suppress, and the narrator would rather focus on his reconstructed mosaic of memories. Perhaps this is also why the less-than-accurate recreation of the past is allowed to pass.) And though the future is unknown, the mosaic of memories "foreshadows" it . Given that the mosaic is created from pieced-together fragments, I cannot think that what is foreshadowed looks happy (but perhaps that's just me).

The first part of the second stanza -- "the world seems a scene behind glass, dramatically lit but distant", made me think of two things. First, it called to mind a reconstructed scene in a museum (calling back to the reassembled mosaics in the first stanza): i.e, the world as a reconstructed creation that might or might not accurately reflect reality. Moreover, though he sees it vividly (it is "dramatically lit") it feels distant and separated from him by a barrier (the glass). He can see the world, but he cannot connect with it, touch it, or influence it. He is not part of it – he can only look on. How real his perception might be is a "guessing game."

The second thing the reference to glass evoked for me was a bell jar. (Perhaps because I’ve recently read Plath’s novel). The image/metaphor of a bell jar evokes depression, which can result in the feeling of profound disconnectedness from the world that seems to me to be reflected in the second stanza. And t
hat made me take a step back and ask -- is it the world behind glass or is it the narrator?

[ETA: I suppose it could also be read as a window, with the narrator trapped inside looking out on the world. There's something about the distance, though, and "scene" and the "dramatically lit" that makes me think of a display. (not a stage, because of the glass.) Thus I lean toward my museum display or my bell jar. Your mileage may vary, and probably does.]

Either way, however, the narrator feels disconnected and kept at a distance from the world.

In sum: Putting the title together with the stanzas, I see the narrator's world in turmoil, blown apart by some unnamed calamity, leaving a past that can only be looked at in a carefully reconstructed guise, a present he cannot confront, a future he can only guess at, and a reality that he observes, but from which he feels disconnected and cannot influence.

OK, I admit it. I've turned the poem into a personal microcosm, just like I always do. I really did try to read it as a broader view on humanity in general, honestly I did. But a couple of things just wouldn't let me. The screaming winds, for one thing. I can't read them as just life passing on or the march of time, etc. Life does not universally and constantly feel like a screaming wind is ripping through it -- sometimes it feels like a trudge in an oppressive fog. So the screaming wind speaks to me of the narrator's individual situation. It might not be what William meant at all, but damn it, that's what I see.

I think many or most of us reconstruct our pasts to some degree, picking and choosing, so the mosaic of the past I could pretty easily read as universal. The foreshadowing of the future, too. But again -- I submit the suppression of the present is not universal. Some people live entirely in the present and to hell with the past. So I also saw that as something as applying specifically to the narrator rather than to humanity at large. And since I just can't get the hell away from those damn screaming winds, I just have to feel that they're behind his suppression, his reconstruction of the past, the foreshadowing of the future.

Finally, the distance in the last stanza strikes me as reflecting the narrator's individual situation and not that of humanity in general. While I do think reality is rather a guessing game, and so I can easily construe that as being universally applicable, not so with the seeing the world as "distant" and "a scene behind glass." I do not think that is a universal feeling -- not everyone feels so very disconnected. But this narrator does. Again, I go back to the screaming winds, and I see depression as well as mere distance. Again, something particular to the narrator and not humanity in general.

Last edited:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well-explored, Cass. I appreciate reading all this. However, for me, the "screaming wind" is far more universal, and also reflects my personal-yet-shared-with-many sense that events are moving fast enough to scream.... Some say it feels like time has speeded up. That is reflected here for me.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
[h=2]Lost Words Gathered from a Screaming Wind (Neat, but with poems (brief ones in particular) you've gotta be careful not to make yours so impressive that they upstage the poem itself.) ;-)[/h]
Mosaics of (Maybe place this somewhere else? Further down. Start off with fragmented memories. A lower key way to go. Your call.)
fragmented memories
pass for the past,
foreshadow the future,
suppress the present.

The world seems a ("The world seems," not needed imo. So maybe just start with., A scene... ("Reality," down below, sorta clarifies that anyway.)
scene behind glass,
dramatically lit but
distant. Reality (Get mosaics here somehow?)
is a guessing game.

Just some suggestions and my two cents, best dismissed.
Pretty cool poem, overall.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Well-explored, Cass. I appreciate reading all this. However, for me, the "screaming wind" is far more universal, and also reflects my personal-yet-shared-with-many sense that events are moving fast enough to scream.... Some say it feels like time has speeded up. That is reflected here for me.

Lately I've been working on a tedious case involving tax regulations. Life for me at the moment feels like I'm hip-deep in sucking, suffocating mud, sliding slowly and inexorably deeper. Will it never end?

Perhaps that explains my reaction to the screaming winds.

Seriously, though, the other thing that made me have that reaction to the screaming winds is the distance and sense of disconnectedness in the poem.

The narrator (to me) doesn't sound like someone caught up in the rush of everyday life, too frantic to savor the moment -- he sounds like the survivor of a disaster. He isn't too rushed to enjoy the present -- he is "suppressing" it. He's reconstructed mosaics of fragmented memories that "pass" for the past -- a painstaking process. He feels disconnected from the world, which he can see but is separated from him. That doesn't sound to me like someone too busy to stop and smell the roses -- it sounds like someone who feels debarred from enjoying the roses.

I keep trying to walk away from my interpretation and can't. But maybe it just the soul-sucking swamp that is my own life.

Last edited:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No, the screaming wind has passed by or is somehow external to the narrator, else he would not be able to "gather lost words" or anything, I imagine.

It all certainly lends itself to multiple layers of resonance, though, doesn't it?

Why are you trying to walk away from your interpretation? It's a fine one.

ETA: It's like the poem lives in its own realm and is not beholden to rational limits though it does offer illumination to a number of rational trains of thought. But in the realm of the poem it is its own rationale and thus cannot be reduced beyond itself, or fully contained inside some non-poetic cognitive construct.

Any good poem does this if we are alert to it, I believe. This is a big part of why I adore poetry and am addicted to it. It is the voice of elsewhere while also being the largest voice of here we have.

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Why are you trying to walk away from your interpretation? It's a fine one.

Partly because my interpretation rather depresses me, and partly because, although my impression is a powerful one, and one I feel is supported by the text, I struggle with it.

It is an odd thing with this poem. My first impression, on the first read, was distance and disengagement. Then (the mosaics and the scene behind glass) I thought of museums and archaeological sites, examination and reconstruction of dead things, the remains of a lost world. Further reads ultimately brought me to my current rather over-wrought-sounding interpretation.

When I step away for a bit and come back to it, my very first impression on the reread is the distance. I wonder what the fuck I was thinking by interpreting it so wildly -- perhaps my analysis is more about what I'm reading in than what I'm taking out.

But every time, when I wade in to break it down, I end up in the same place.

I suppose my closest comparison to how this poem makes me feel is when I'm exploring a ruin. At first, I see bare, weathered stones with sheep grazing among them. But as I walk around the stones, make out what is left of staircases, find a cast-down bit of carving, the faded remnants of a fresco, a sliver of pottery stuck in the earth, buried humps and hollows that used to be rooms, I find myself rebuilding the structure over the naked stones and seeing it, quite vividly, as it must have been centuries ago.

Then some tour bus pulls up and forty noisy tourists swarm out, dropping frito bags and taking selfies, and my palace disappears into the ragged rocks. I try to take a quick picture before I flee, but some asshole keeps stepping into it, so I give up and stop at the first bar I hit, where some greased-up creep sidles up to me with his fractured pick-up lines and won't leave me alone until I abandon my drink and go back to my hotel to brood.

But if go back after the tour bus is gone, I will inevitably build my palace again.

So where was I? Oh yes, William's poem.

Anyway. As with my ruins, I wonder how much of my analysis of this poem is building imaginary structures, more in my head than in the stones. Am I an archaeologist reconstructing a mosaic, or a bumbling overly imaginative tourist putting a throne room where the cow shed should be?

ETA:

never travel with me. I'm fucking insufferable.

Last edited:

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I didn't realize how often these latest poems of William's can be applied macro or micro. It's a wonderful mezzanine level of poetry. The result is both delightful and accomplished, even when the subject matter is somber. I don't know if that effect is specifically crafted in or is just serendipitous, but's there.

In this one, the first stanza does what is my favorite thing in all writing - describing something in a way that never occurred to me, and that feels exactly correct, so that it's both completely familiar and still brand new.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Lost Words Gathered from a Screaming Wind (Neat, but with poems (brief ones in particular) you've gotta be careful not to make yours so impressive that they upstage the poem itself.) ;-)

Mosaics of (Maybe place this somewhere else? Further down. Start off with fragmented memories. A lower key way to go. Your call.)
fragmented memories
pass for the past,
foreshadow the future,
suppress the present.

The world seems a ("The world seems," not needed imo. So maybe just start with., A scene... ("Reality," down below, sorta clarifies that anyway.)
scene behind glass,
dramatically lit but
distant. Reality (Get mosaics here somehow?)
is a guessing game.

Just some suggestions and my two cents, best dismissed.
Pretty cool poem, overall.

the dog made clear his preferred word choice. i fear angering him again so soon after the blender incident.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
It is perhaps just as well the cats didn't weigh in.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my yes. Fur would have flown, and body parts. Even if they agreed.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
this is ever the problem with poetry by committee.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, sure. Everyone has to justify their existence on the committee somehow, if only by manufacturing discord. There is an art to that.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
the dog will shit, the cats will piss, while the goldfish can only look on and burble from behind a wall of glass.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's that burbling you have to watch out for. Insidious! Now, Baby, Baby just lies there and reeks.