I've been freelancing for more than a year now. It's been a way to get income when I've otherwise had very little of it, but I'd be lying if I said that I didn't want better pay rates than I'm getting currently.

Most of my current clients are through Upwork. Upwork is definitely home for a lot of exploitative people, but I have a few current clients there that are becoming long-term clients that I'm happy to work with. I'm also working with a content marketer who I found on Reddit's hireawriter sub. (Again, a major source of bad gigs, but the occasional good one is there.)

I'm kind of a misanthrope by nature, so I prefer writing content that doesn't require me to speak to many people outside of my client. I write for them and don't have to worry about editors and the like. To my surprise, I've taken to writing about B2B technology, which I actually enjoy and there is a definite market for it. (If there were a huge market for writing about cats, crafts, and science fiction/fantasy, I'd go for that, but there doesn't seem to be. I could be wrong on this.)