The second draft... Struggling with editing

Makube

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings fellow writers!

So I finished my first 70k draft of my first novel ever in february and have been quite busy since then. Now I have a two month window where I can finally get back to work and start the editing process... Except I don't know how to start or what to do.

Do you guys have any good tips and tricks or effective editing techniques for the second draft to share? Every thought and piece of advice is appreciated!

Best regards,
Jesper

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Try this: http://hollylisle.com/one-pass-manuscript-revision-from-first-draft-to-last-in-one-cycle/

mulcahy67

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Do a lot of googling and research from experts or other authors, and then find what works best for you.

There is no exact process to editing, although there are a lot of different ways to go about it, and you just have to find what's easiest for you. I would also maybe suggest getting some other eyes on it before you start your second draft, in case there are any glaring issues you yourself just aren't seeing.

Good luck!

VoireyLinger

Angel Wing Fetish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.voireylinger.com
For me, the hardest part of learning to edit was figuring out what I was actually supposed to be changing. This post pretty much covers the basics of what I had to initially learn.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For me, the second run through isn't really editing as much as fitting the story and plot together better. I tighten it all up, fill in missing pieces, drop awkward sections and make sure that Donald on page two isn't being called Richard on page 326.

For line edits, grammar, proof reading and so on, it's done in line as I work on the book. By the third run though, I usually don't have much in the way of line edits to worry about, it's just second nature to get it right on the first pass. Of course, once it hits the bookshelves, then I see the line edits it really needed. :)

The key issue that, for me, doesn't work with your plan is the two month deadline you put on yourself. I can work to deadlines from editors, but I always fail if I try to push to self imposed deadlines.

Jeff

Msdobing

Registered
Reaction score
For me, the second run through isn't really editing as much as fitting the story and plot together better. I tighten it all up, fill in missing pieces, drop awkward sections and make sure that Donald on page two isn't being called Richard on page 326.

This.

For me the second run through (the first being the first draft itself) is just plugging the plot back together. I cut (or add) vast swathes without really paying much attention to the minutiae of typos, repeated words, clunky sentences etc, etc.

Once the plot is coherent, Dave is always Dave and so forth I then enter pass three for the line edit. It's here where I reword sentences, fix missed typos and all the other bits.

It's then another read through but on my kindle to identify any errors that don't jump out of the word doc on my laptop screen before its done.

Then of course it goes to beta readers and all the other errors I've missed then jump out ☺

Makube

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies! Now I feel a bit more confident in starting the editing process.

inoue77

Registered
Reaction score
This is exactly the problem I had when I finished my second novel. I abandoned my first one mostly, I think, because I didn't know how to edit. I went through and did a line edit, but that didn't exactly help. It was a mess. I wish I had had some of these links and these ideas when I started, but I had to learn the hard way.

First draft: dumping everything on the page I can. Just going forward and hard and fast as I can.

Second draft: rearranging the plot, trying not to judge my work yet. I read quickly through it and, without rewriting or changing anything or editing, I put a check next to passages that work, I put an 'X' next to things that are wrong. I don't try to fix things. I might write the word "wrong" or "MEGO" which is short for (My Eyes Glaze Over). Nothing more. Then I spend the really arduous, long, tedious, awful time rearranging and painstakingly fixing the work. This is, hands down, the hardest part of my writing process. It helps to try and outline your book as it is at this point (even if you're not an outliner, which I'm not) and then use that as a skeleton to rearrange and put back together.

Third draft: I tighten up and fix any remaining plot/character problems from draft two.

Fourth draft: tightening. Line-editing. Grammar. Typos.

Hope that helps. I'm sure it's not too different than most approaches. Best of luck!

rwhegwood

Registered
Reaction score
I think this might be what you are looking for. A new book and podcast dedicated to teaching how to edit a story like an editor. It is by Shawn Coyne, a veteran editor, and he shares the tools he developed over his professional life to evaluate and fix stories and novels. You can buy his book or get it for free by reading his website with it's blogs and resources. His Story Grid editing entries are gathered in one place on site for reader convenience.

I've been reading his site, and trying to build his story grid tool for one of my works in need of a serious edit. His system has a lot to offer, and so far it makes a lot of sense to me.

Last edited:

owlion

Absorbing inspiration from the moon
Registered
Reaction score
I think just doing a read through as if you were reading a book by someone else and picking up on exactly what needs changing where is a good starting point. Don't worry about the small details at this point (unless you're good at keeping a lot of information in your head in one go) but focus on big issues you need to tidy up. You can go back later and do grammar/spelling checks when the story itself is fine.

Conte Remo

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, there! I finished my first full-length draft about a week ago and I'm in the same place as you are. Even though I'm no expert, I hope my methods will help you come up with ideas of how to go about your editing phase.

I took my notebook and wrote a very brief outline of what happened in each of the three parts of my story, and then I jotted down the biggest things that I thought need changing. These include: plot holes, inconsistencies, dropped plot threads, and limiting the screen time of one character who ended up only being useful in part one. My goal with edits is to start with broad edits, and then gradually make my way to specifics (such as grammar, syntax, dialogue,etc).

Once I'm done fixing these major issues (which I'm about done with right now), I'm going to read up on story structure, formatting chapters, action and denouement, to refresh myself on those concepts. There are definitely some places where I believe I should introduce more tension and action.

Once that is done, I'll polish up world building and characterization, and then move on to wordsmithing.

Honestly, since I'm still in the afterglow of just finishing a long draft, I'm a bit burned out.

jwdoom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doomwrites.wordpress.com
I took a look at that Holly Lisle article and she's really talking about writing scripts. Particularly the bit where she attacks necks and tails. Also I disagree with her about scenes. I don't believe books are made of scenes, not the way scripts are. Actually, scripts aren't even made of scenes, movies are. I've been using screenplay structure as an outlining tool so I can see some crossover, but books and movies are fundamentally different ways of telling stories (random access, for one). All YMMV disclaimers apply.

markbaer

Registered
Reaction score
This is likely a very rookie question, but at what point do you guys hired an editor (if you do)? After how many drafts and beta-readers?

sknox

Historian of Altearth
Registered
Reaction score
One suggestion, try writing some shorter works and hire an editor for those. It will cost less money, and it can be dishearteningly difficult to find a good editor. I've been to two, neither of which were especially helpful. I was very glad I had not hired them for my full length novel!

markbaer

Registered
Reaction score
sknox - I've finished my first draft already (81k words) and have had 3 beta readers already. I've made changes based on the early reads, and have another 3 beta readers (different ones than the first time) going over it now. I have a number of others willing to read it, but I'm wondering when the point of diminishing returns comes...!

- - - Updated - - -

Part of it of course is that I want to maximize the value for my $ when I eventually do go to an editor...

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Lady Esther - I'll check that out too!

metronne

Registered
Reaction score
I realize this is an old old thread and it's quite possible none of you are on the site anymore ... but do you have any advice for what to DO once you've identified those big things that need to change?

I finished my first draft a few months ago and felt elated. Now, on the edit, I really don't care about typos and name consistency. The language is barely even coherent at this point, I just want the story to be THERE and wrangled and workable. There are a few key scenes in the middle that just aren't working, and I've spent weeks now trying to figure out how to fix them. I know why they need to change, I just don't know ... what to change them to. I've tried the "what if" game, testing out a million different directions and outcomes, but all feel equally unworkable.

The most common advice I'm finding on the internet is to get a beta reader. I'm not ready for a beta reader. I don't think anyone but me could make any kind of sense of this manuscript yet at this point. There seems to be a lot of advice out there for people just starting out, people who need tips on how to finish a first draft, and then for people who have something workable in need of critique. But there's not a lot of advice or support for people in the in-between phase, and I feel like I'm struggling completely alone. I wish I had someone I could talk through these plot problems with, but I also don't see how that's possible without having SOMETHING they can read first.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I realize this is an old old thread and it's quite possible none of you are on the site anymore ... but do you have any advice for what to DO once you've identified those big things that need to change?

I finished my first draft a few months ago and felt elated. Now, on the edit, I really don't care about typos and name consistency.

Start caring about them.

The language is barely even coherent at this point,

Which is why you should start caring about them. Going through and fixing these small things may help you generate ideas for dealing with the "larger" issues. At the very least, it will put your manuscript into a shape where it would be worthwhile to get a beta-read.

caw

metronne

Registered
Reaction score
That's kind of what I started out trying to do, but the further in I got, the more apparent the big structural problems became. Now, I've scrapped a couple important chapters and need to rewrite them to move forward, but nothing I try seems to be working. So, past a certain point, there are no more small things to even fix. There's nothing.

There's an ending, of course, but the way I bridge things in these rewritten chapters is going to affect the details of how the ending plays out. I've thought about skipping ahead and coming back to the tough part, but I don't think that would actually work in this case.

Calder

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thejanusgate.com
Metronne, I'm not sure what you mean by "big structural problems". Are they game-breaking? If so, you don't need to rewrite so much as re-structure. Just remember, "There's always a way".
I outline my work in some detail - to the point where I know my plot hangs together and progresses, but still, sometimes, I come up against a problem. One time, I was at a total loss - it just wasn't working - until I remembered something my Sixth Form English Literature teacher (and I'm going way back, here) told me. It was along the lines of "The basis of any worthwhile piece of fiction is character - a writer needs to express and illustrate how the different people in his/her work act and react to their own actions and those of others."
When I hit my "bad patch" I did something which, at first sight, may seem totally outlandish - I wrote a journal for each of my characters - just brief notes, but totally from their point of view. In effect, I had my characters keep a highly personal diary throughout the plot, talking about their actions, reactions and motivations, outlining how they felt about the other characters and what was happening around them.
I suppose what I'm really trying to say is that "character is the key". If you know your characters well enough to determine how they will react to a given set of circumstances, you should be able to find a way through most difficulties with your writing.
There's a great deal said about "story arcs", but, basically, any story is structured by causality - the consequences arising from something someone has done/said/omitted to do etc. When plotting, or constructing your story, bear in mind the need for everything that happens to have a cause - often a previous action - and the need for it to have resulting effects. Things rarely, if ever, happen in isolation, so follow the thread of your story through "cause and effect". A does this, which results in B doing that, which, in turn means that A, or someone else, reacts in a certain way - usually in keeping with his/her character. That way, your story / plot will hang together as a series of causes and effects, fleshed out by your characters' reaction to each changed / changing circumstance.
If you're really stuck, stay away from your work for a number of weeks. Try to forget it and think about other things. You won't, of course. Your subconscious will be constantly churning things over. When you return to the piece, try to approach it as though someone else has written it. Identify the weaknesses (you seem to have done that already) and work out what needs to be done, bearing in mind the two mantras: "Character is the key" and "Causality = credibility".

Best of luck with it.

Last edited:

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
My guess is you're not changing enough. You have your beginning and your ending, which you're happy with, and you're trying to get them to connect. You might have to make changes to the parts you like in order to get the parts you don't like to work. You have to have faith that you can do something different that's as good as or better than what you've already done.