poetry classes

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking of taking a poetry class. I don't really write poetry, but I would like to and also become a better reader of poetry. But from what I've heard you have to write a poem every week that you share with the class and get feedback on in addition to in class assignments. It sounds a little tough given that I don't feel like I know what I am doing much at all. If you've taken a poetry class at a college level, I would love to hear about it and how your class worked. Also, how new were you to poetry when you took the class? I'm worried that everyone will have more experience than and know what they are doing. At the same time, I don't want to miss the opportunity to study poetry while I am in school.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I never took a poetry class and almost certainly you will feel that other people's poems are better than yours, but why not go for it despite that? There is no shame in being a beginner at something. The discipline of coming up with a poem a week will be a good one, I bet. I have found that sometimes I can decide to write to a prompt even if initially I feel uninspired, and sometimes those pieces turn out quite well.

You will also no doubt learn a tremendous amount about language and its underlying structures which will benefit you tremendously in whatever else you write.

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
Or, wait a semester before you take a class; go to a local thrift store and buy a poetry handbook/textbook for $0.50. Spend a few months with it. Then you'll go into poetry class with close to as much knowledge as many teachers will have. Or, if not that much knowledge, at least you will feel better prepared.

Best Regards,
NDG

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
Or, wait a semester before you take a class; go to a local thrift store and buy a poetry handbook/textbook for $0.50. Spend a few months with it. Then you'll go into poetry class with close to as much knowledge as many teachers will have. Or, if not that much knowledge, at least you will feel better prepared.

Best Regards,
NDG

Excellent advice and I concur! Also, I took several C-level poetry classes - loved them all of course (also had HS class). If you have even the slightest interest (as clearly you do) take the class; I'll bet you get an A!!