Criminal Empires

Dannykat

Registered
Reaction score
If I'm in the wrong forum for this question, I totally apologize and will correct my mistake.

That being said, I'll get down to my question. How would you folks recommend writing a functional criminal empire? I've read a lot of stories featuring them, but I've always felt that I've never seen the big picture. That the stories I've read are only showing the surface. Now I want to write a story featuring these types of organizations, but I just have no idea on how they would work, even in a fictional setting.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Think of it in it's most basic terms; any criminal enterprise is simply a business providing products and/or services that are illegal, typically using methods that are also illegal, all in the name of profit. Success, as in any business, is defined by the bottom line--profit . . . and of course, in the case of illicit endeavors, not getting caught.

By using the term "criminal empire" I suspect you intend to craft a centralized organization that controls and protects any number of component criminal enterprises. You can go as big (corporate style) or as minimalist (gang-sponsored neighborhood protection racket) as you like--just make your provided goods and/or services illegal. Otherwise, follow the basic business model; it'll all come together. It worked very well for the mafia and drug cartels.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I'd recommend whatever makes you happy to write. :)

As far as how it works, make it up. Be creative. Write it well. Have fun!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
If you want to show detail, then get it right. If you just make it up, every reader who knows how it's really done will fling your book into the nearest garbage can. It's not something that can be easily explained here, though. You need to do your research. Study the Russian mafia, the Yakuza, and talk to the FBI. Talk to experts, read books, and find every authoritative website and other resource you can find.

A big part of being a writer is being willing to do the research, and there's often a lot of it.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
I also agree on research. If you want to make it believable, you as the writer may need to know more about how your criminal enterprise works than the reader will. You can create a strong foundation for your fiction by researching the facts and constructing your version with elements from there.

VEHust

Registered
Reaction score
I would do some serious research, then get out a large piece of paper and map out your criminal enterprise. The Boss, his Heirs, The Brains, The Brawn, The Money Guy etc.

I feel like criminal organizations work a lot like mid-evil monarchies so that's probably where I would start. But this is your book so go crazy :D

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
They'll also have legitimate businesses to launder money through. Which meant for my city, the flower and vegetable market. Green grocers were all mafia!

Horseshoes

lisapreston.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisapreston.com
What's the primary good/service (sex, drug, protection, gambling, or non-vice goods, whether counterfeit or stolen)? Tangible goods require transportation. Setting counts big here--big city? Coastal? Choose the enterprise and you have a place to begin.

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
Dannykat, you've gotten some good advice already. I agree on research and wanted to add that usually while doing research, I find my major plot points. The more I learn, the more the book starts writing itself.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
My own (unsolicited) opinion on this, taking in to account I agree with what everyone else says.

Many of these enterprises, while a business, seem to have a sort of tribal and secret society aspect to them. Foundational myths, lots of rituals, colors and symbols, all of these are very important, and not just at the street level. These are very important, and fairly interesting to research, every group has them and the layers of rules and ritual can be fairly complex. Don't just go for simple 'Skull and Crossbones' motif, and don't be afraid to come up with some odd and puzzling details, IRL organizations sure have a lot of them. Lots of groups seem to form out of secret societies or even regular, above-board associations, often at first with semi-respectable goals (lots of nationalist and rebel groups, as well as associations of ethnic and religious minorities). Often, these aims are not forgotten and even tie in to the criminal arm of the enterprise in muddy and confusing ways. And not every group is going to be totally corrupt and business-like even, some have gotten comfortable going semi-legit, and might contain lots of members who wouldn't steal a loaf of bread to feed their family.

SageChild

Registered
Reaction score
I've also been writing based on a criminal enterprise. I saw that you can base your level of criminal reality on how important it is. If it's mostly a subplot the you can throw facts and technicalities here and there. If the plot is set completely within the syndicate where the characters live inside a communal home or something, their close family and friends are involved in the business the. You need to go all out in detail.

I would start by reading a few short novels. Then start looking at unconventional information like police reports, mysteries. Look at articles for little traits and ideas that you can incorporate into your work. It's also the habits that people have that books feel realistic. Look at how people in you enterprise opinion that are would speak, celebrate, treat family and handle certain situation.

Hope I helped! :)

Kalsik

Kalsik
Registered
Reaction score
Besides doing your research for inspiration on the mechanisms of a criminal organization, what you should first do is build the world around it. What are the laws, what is contraband/illegal yet people still want it? If its not criminal, then it won't be a criminal organization who deals with it.
Decide what is criminal in your world, I guarantee the rest will be easier. And once you've nailed down what you want them to do business in, you can use that to narrow down the sorts of real organizations you research for inspiration.

Fantomas

Registered
Reaction score
Just my two cents; from studying history, a lot of criminal syndicates like Al Capone's Chicago Outfit's foundation was actually in protection rackets, i.e. extorting money from business owners. Although he was a notorious bootlegger, this is what provided a solid foundation. That included a lot of low-level foot soldiers to act as "pick up men" who went around to businesses and received their weekly, monthly, or what payments. Some were even stickup men but in general, organized crime usually doesn't like the randomness of bank robbers, hence it is "organized".

This cash allowed Capone and other gangsters to fund much more profitable vice operations; i.e. prostitution, gambling, and bootlegging. Of course, there are some criminal syndicates that only deal in vice, gun running, etc. In short, if you are going to write a believable story about crime syndicates, then focus on where their money comes from. They can't operate a criminal empire if there is not a steady stream of cash.

Without that, then your crime syndicate becomes a poorly written supervillain who somehow has access to sprawling hideouts and technology but no source of income to pay for it all.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
ZOMBIE THREAD, ARISE!

Haha, it's probably still instructive, but yes, folks, it is a slightly aged thread. Not as old as that sour cream I saw in my refrigerator the other day, but pretty old.