....I have to do one novel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nerdilydone

Banned
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm going to try the whole NaNoWriMo thing, but I have three primary stories I want to work on. One is the second book of a series I'm working on, and I'm around....halfway through with it? Another is an attempt at official fanfiction, and the third is a fanfiction that I'm just doing as a sort of journal project for fun.

So do I have to stick to only one of these? Or can I do all three, but only one counts to the 50K words?

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
You my friend are a REBEL. Don't be ashamed--there's lots of us! Me, I'm still deciding what book to work on, but it'll probably be a second go at an old project. I'm also using it as an Editing Month--my goal is 50 hours of editing work on Devin. Sage is doing a serial. Plenty of people will be finishing up their novels, or doing a collection of shorts. You're in good company.

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
Yep, welcome to the rebellion, rebel!

There's no NaNo police, so, honestly, you can do whatever the hell you want. :D 50k words is the name of the game.

I'm under mentor's orders to work on my WIP, so no new project for me.

Write on!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
The only way to win NaNo is to write 50K words. In reality it doesn't matter what words those were and how many projects they were in. The only thing that gets counted is the words.

Officially, it's meant to be 50K in one novel, but TPTB don't mind having rebels.

Now, personally, I think NaNo is more fun if you start fresh on November 1 and get caught up in the first-day enthusiasm, but I also think NaNo is more fun if you work on what's inspiring you, and sometimes that's something you've been working on or several projects or a bunch of short stories or a non-fiction book or a comic book or editing or...whatever.

AshleyEpidemic

Did you see my bag?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soipondered.wordpress.com
Every year, I've worked on more than one project. I start and finish one then move on to another. I'm actually trying to figure out which I'm going to start first. Call me a rebel if you want, but I get my word count and finish my projects.

CSPayne

Oh look, here I am
Registered
Reaction score
Fresh idea, no words written, but my idea is to write a 2000 word short story everyday for November. I'm thinking I will have a loose arc and several consistent characters throughout the shorts so I can eventually mend them into a serialized novel. But my intention at this moment is to get at least 50,000 words written. Plus, I will have plenty of time to tweek things that might at first seem weird along the storyline in a rough draft.

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Yay rebels!

I'm doing a collection of short stories, but they're linked and have an over-arching story, so I don't know if I actually qualify as a rebel this year. Either way, though, I'm fine with it :)

I'm under mentor's orders to work on my WIP, so no new project for me.

Posting just for trivia fun: they still recommend starting a fresh project -- especially for first time NaNoers -- but they updated the guidelines last year to include adding 50,000 words to an existing project.

The change got mixed reactions from forum participants, but I liked it. Even though I won't get to be a rebel as often now :p

Last edited:

Jenkki

Registered
Reaction score
I started a long novella with no particular wordcount in mind back in October (the overall notion for it having sat on my idea list for a year) and decided to make it be my first Nanowrimo project this time around since its projected length qualifies as a novel by their standards (though not in the markets I'm aiming at, which is fine). The word count doesn't faze me because the rough draft can run sloppy, although that makes revision that much more of an unpleasant monster to engage with. But for Nanowrimo, revision doesn't have happen during the stretch. One 50k novella rough draft? No worries. But a fresh spanner in the works: I now have a twelve day business trip halfway around the world that's going to kill the end of the month for me. So I have to go from 12k to 50k rough draft in the next week. Fun stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.