Hi (original right?)

LisaBean

I need a nap
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kittrose.com
Hello! My name's Lisa and I just joined. I'm a shy 37 who spends her day on the phone in an HR related job. Married to a man I love 98% the time. The other 2% of the time, when I want to strangle him, usually involves when his response to the classic "what do you want for dinner?" question is something like pancakes (which I hate making) or I don't care, you pick. That's a trap. He's never happy with what I pick! We have a 3 year old boy named Lincoln who's always he bright spot in my day.

I'm a big ol' book worm. Read about a book every two or three days. Fiction for sure, but anything else goes. Even as a kid I'd go on a family vacation and sit in the shade reading a book while my siblings played volleyball or whatever. I've been writing poetry and short stories since I was in fourth grade. Almost two years ago I got a bug in my ear and wrote nearly 70,000 words in three weeks finishing my first book (young adult paranormal romance.) Since then I've been writing non-stop. (Three complete books and two more about 1/2 done.) Yeah my muse is chatty Kathy lately.

I wrote all these with no goal other than to get the ideas out of my head and onto paper but after some coaxing from close friends and family I'm starting to think about publishing. I've NEVER put myself out there before so this is all very scary. And wow, is there a lot out there on the topic and most of it, quite honestly, terrifies me. So I figured I'd start making some friends and get a better feel for how this all works. And of course, try to determine if I stink :)

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Lisa! And even if you do decide you don't think your writing's up to snuff, this is a good place to improve it. :)

LisaBean

I need a nap
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kittrose.com
Opinions, advice, and a place to improve, exactly what I'm looking for! I'm still poking through the forums but it seems like there's a LOT of great stuff on here :)

Quinn_Inuit

Not a real eskimo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.steve-quinn.net
:welcome:

Opinions, advice, and a place to improve, exactly what I'm looking for! I'm still poking through the forums but it seems like there's a LOT of great stuff on here :)

Totally. Watch out for the crazy stuff, though. There's this guy named Quinn_Inuit who posts all kinds of :Ssh:fool things. I recommend not listening to a word he says.

Corsairs

Saying it twice for truth
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Cooler, Lisa! We promise never to ask for pancakes here. :)

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Hey, Lisa, welcomed to the cooler. :) 98% is a good track record!! ;)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
welcome.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Tom Johnson

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www15.brinkster.com
Welcome to AW, Lisa. Good luck with your writing. You should be looking for an agent or a publisher for those books, but I agree with another comment that you should have someone look them over first, just for helpful advice.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So I figured I'd start making some friends and get a better feel for how this all works.

We'd be a lot better friends if you'd make some pancakes. Must be a guy thing, as I love 'em for supper. :gfreenie

LisaBean

I need a nap
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kittrose.com
Tom, I agree that I need someone to look them over. While my friends and family wouldn't purposely lie to me, they are biased. Sort of like how when my three year old draws a smiley face and manages to get two eyes, a nose, a mouth, ears, and hair I think it's a master piece. I tend to over look the fact that one of those ears is on the top of its head and the mouth is half outside of the circle. But its MY three year old who did it so it's amazing! Totally biased.

But first I'm going to learn as much as I can so I can fix things on my own. I already found a few things in the YA forum that had me going back and editing.

Chase, I'm all about breakfast for supper. Waffles from scratch, french toast, eggs, quiche, even breads and sweets. I just despise making pancakes! Crepes are a little better but of course he hates crepes! LOL.

Last edited:

InkStainedWench

It's a dirty job, but...
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Lisa!

"What do you want for dinner..."

There's your mistake, right there. NEVER ask what people want for dinner. Just cook what you want to and slam it on the table. Anyone who complains cooks the next night.

Yes, I am actually still married. Why do you ask?

LisaBean

I need a nap
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kittrose.com
I've never made potato pancakes. I'm game to try...

InkStainedWench, LOL! I wish but then I'd have to listen to the whining and the 98% might drop significantly
:p

Last edited:

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone who complains cooks the next night.

I grew up in Montana hunting, logging, and sheep camps. The above rule is the way of life in the great northwest. You learn to say, "These pancakes are burned . . . to just the way I like 'em!"