PLAYWRIGHT - NEED SAMPLE CONTRACT WITH DIRECTOR and others (FOR PRODUCTION)

Mary Westlie-Jones

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Folks~ I'll be very grateful for any help any of you might be able to give me on this. I've written a musical and am on the cusp of hiring an associate producer, a director, getting the venue nailed down, acquiring a musical director, choreographer, etc. and I don't have any idea how to structure a contract for any of these (Director most important right now), nor do I have the money to spend on a lawyer to help me with it.

Do any of you have any ideas (or links, etc.) where I might find one or more of these contracts?

Thanks so much in advance!

Mary
[email protected]

Last edited:

Scriptissima

Registered
Reaction score

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Mary -

First and foremost, you probably need to edit your post to disguise your email address from roving spam-bots (something like "MaryWestlie-Jones AT yahoo.com" should suffice).

Second, are you mounting a professional production, or is this going to be an amateur gig? If it's the latter, you may not need contracts. If it's the former, and especially if you are bankrolling the production, it might behoove you to find the funds to have a lawyer draft something for you.

Third, if your budget stretches far enough to hire union personnel (in the U.S., this would be Actors Equity, Stage Directors and Choreographers Society, American Federation of Musicians, just to name a few), you'll need to get in touch with the unions for the appropriate contracts.

Bloo

Roofied by Rylan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emergencyroomproductions.net
Join the Dramatist's Guild of America. It's approx. $100/year, all you need to have done is write a play (it usually takes about 7 days to be approved for membership). The DGA will help provide contracts and lawyers who will look over those contracts for DGA members.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Although the OP has never returned to this thread, here's some clarification (bolding mine) about obtaining legal and business assistance from the DGA's website:

The Guild offers a variety of model contracts that fit the most typical situations for a playwright. Nevertheless, remember that every situation is different so these forms should be tailored to individual circumstances. Furthermore, members should be aware that the Guild does not provide legal representation, and these contracts are not a substitute for actual legal consultation and representation.