• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Character I Don't Know How to Quit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuwanda

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abigailftaylor.wordpress.com
So I want to get on with writing my other novels. I've got three in the wings that I've started research on. I've also written three (2 sitting in 1st draft) based around this one character and his family so I'm done.

I thought.

He keeps itching at me though and I can't shake him off. I'm really excited to work on my other projects but he just won't leave me alone. I'm writing out the stuff of course and it feels like I'm writing my own fanfiction. I don't think it's a weird form of writer's block or a security blanket but maybe it is?

Any suggestions would be helpful. I love this character but his story is becoming a distraction. :(

Last edited:

Rebekkamaria

Pixie with dust, beware
Registered
Reaction score
Many people write about the same character over and over again. If he's that interesting to you he's probably interesting to readers as well. :)

I say you write him, but you also write everything else. That way, he won't stop you from writing other stuff, too.

And yeah, I have experience of this. I thought I was writing a stand alone. Bwahahahaaa...

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Characters that won't go away usually have a reason for nagging us.

Your choice.

Nuwanda

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I suppose this is true. I spent years trying to sell the first book and it's only had one bite. So is it stemming from a dissatisfied result?

Katharine Tree

Þæt wæs god cyning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
katharinetree.com
I've been there. I was eventually able to force myself away from him--after three novels--but I was full-on obsessed with him, pretty much, for a long time.

Some authors do just write books about the same characters for their whole careers, you know? If the character keeps doing enough interesting things, you can do it, too.

However, having broken away from my character ... I like life on the other side. I like being able to explore other worlds. It's scary and lonely at first (what if I never love another character that much???) but it's an opportunity for growth.

Last edited:

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, there's nothing wrong with writing more novels about a character you love if there's still more of the story to tell. If you're just writing shorts, then at worst, you've got some content you can put up as freebies on your blog or website should the trilogy get published.

Darron

Always trust a geologist
Registered
Reaction score
I would suggest you invite you character out to coffee in a public place. Sit him down and explain that you talking to other characters does not mean he is any less important. I'm going to assume you are both adult humans and so a little separation now that the spark is gone can be good for you. You guys have tons of memories that you could go on for pages and pages about, and to show there's no hard feelings you can still see and write him from time to time, but your focus is elsewhere now. Of course, if something big comes along and ignites that passion again then by all means dive in again if your so inspired. I think this conversation will be good for both of you.

Whenever I have a side project, an MC from my first WIP always tries to weasel in someway. Not always the same person/name, but same type of character, which is what I originally thought from the title, but it still relates to your issue. Writing notes, ideas, possible stories about him on a notepad or separate file should let you vent off any buildup he has so that you can focus on your other projects. It's divided time, but a step in the right direction to compartmentalizing that character if you aren't chasing his story/stories anymore.

Nuwanda

Registered
Reaction score
Website
This breakup advice is solid! And I certainly do have a type when it comes to the antihero so his personality has tried to fit into the other projects certainly.

Nuwanda

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I've been there. I was eventually able to force myself away from him--after three novels--but I was full-on obsessed with him, pretty much, for a long time.

Some authors do just write books about the same characters for their whole careers, you know? If the character keeps doing enough interesting things, you can do it, too.

However, having broken away from my character ... I like life on the other side. I like being able to explore other worlds. It's scary and lonely at first (what if I never love another character that much???) but it's an opportunity for growth.

So how were you finally able to shake your character?

Katharine Tree

Þæt wæs god cyning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
katharinetree.com
So how were you finally able to shake your character?

Luck, mostly. Turns out he did something sort of horrible in the second book. The third book was about that coming to light ... and while there were excuses and reparations and forgiveness all 'round, after I finished writing it, I was like "Nuh-uh, buddy. I can't write you again. Nobody wants to read you anymore."

And he was like "I'm fair knackered myself, so do us a favor and bugger off, hen."

And that's how it's stayed. Except an agent has now picked up the first book, so I am back into revisions and playing with him before he went off the deep end. I can confidently say that my passion for him is gone.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
He does not exist, and he is not bothering you. You're pestering yourself, probably because you don't really want to tackle those new projects. "He" is an excuse not to tackle them, so you're using "him" to avoid moving on.

M.S. Wiggins

"The Moving Finger writes..."
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He does not exist, and he is not bothering you. You're pestering yourself, probably because you don't really want to tackle those new projects. "He" is an excuse not to tackle them, so you're using "him" to avoid moving on.

This is a dark and full-of-sighs way of viewing it, but there's a lot of truth here. I know this because I have been in the midst of 'pestering' myself before...and with a bent toward now and always.

Status
Not open for further replies.