Re-submission etiquette

stumblebum

nope
Registered
Reaction score
I've recently finished a major revision of a manuscript, based on feedback from a R&R, and I am preparing to start querying this manuscript once more.

I've also noticed that some agents state that you may re-submit rejected queries if certain criterion are met. (The manuscript has undergone a major revision, six months or more have passed since the previous submission, and so on.)

What I am wondering is if those agents were stating their own opinions, or restating some unspoken industry rule-of-thumb. Is there a rule on resubmissions, or is it a general no-no excepting where the agent states otherwise?

My fear isn't that the agent will reject me a second time, but rather that resubmitting will anger agents and close doors on future projects.

Any insight you have on this would be greatly appreciated.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
If you've done major revisions and a decent amount of time has passed, it should be okay to resubmit your query. (I would strongly consider revising the query too if you haven't already.)

I would suggest not continuing to resubmit over and over again, but if the MS has changed, you should query again because technically it's not the same book. (I've seen someone over at QueryTracker who has been querying the same two MSs for almost four years now, repeating the query process to their agent list every four to six months or so. With no success. I would not suggest doing that.) That's why I would suggest revising the query to reflect the changes to the MS.

Best of luck.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently querying a manuscript that I previously queried. I'm doing it because 1) the plot has changed so much that it's almost unrecognizable as the original and 2) it's been three full years. If the agent previously read a full or partial, I do mention that in the query, but otherwise I just go ahead and send the query. I think that it's fine as long as enough time has passed and the manuscript is significantly different. I also think that if you do it professionally and politely, and you're not a pest about it, there's no reason an agent would blacklist you.

stumblebum

nope
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt reply, Aggy.

It is a legitimately major revision, including a new first chapter and a completely re-worked back-half. I've also revised the query to reflect the changes. I think I will also include a note that this is a re-submission, just so the agent knows we're on the same page.

I've seen someone over at QueryTracker who has been querying the same two MSs for almost four years now, repeating the query process to their agent list every four to six months or so. With no success. I would not suggest doing that.

Wow...that strikes me as profoundly sad. This business requires a certain level of self-flagellation, but dang. No, I'm already working on a second manuscript and considering the indie-publishing market for the first.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Wow...that strikes me as profoundly sad. This business requires a certain level of self-flagellation, but dang. No, I'm already working on a second manuscript and considering the indie-publishing market for the first.

That author has done some revision on their MS (according to notes they've left) but still. To keep querying the same thing over and over again in hopes that maybe this time the agent will decide to look at (when they haven't the previous six times) is not a very good use of ones time and energy. Some books are not meant to be the first to sell or find representation.

Best of luck with your querying! :)

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I think I know who you're talking about on QT. :/ Yeah, definitely write the next book. I wrote and queried two manuscripts before I rewrote and requeried this one. If I'd just kept hacking away at it without trying to learn something new, I never would have seen the problems.