Identifying the Important Plot Points in Joss Whedon's "Serenity"

BlueCat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bluecatscreenplay.com
Just over ten years ago, on September 30th, 2005, Joss Whedon‘s Serenity hit theaters. It was a modest success at the box office, but was well regarded amongst fans of Whedon’s short-lived, cult status television show, Firefly, which introduces Serenity’s crew and their adventures through space.

Check out the screenplay and discuss the structure in this edition of the BlueCat Blog's "Blue's Beats" series. The full article can be found here: http://www.bluecatscreenplay.com/blog/blues-beats-20-serenity/

We want to know: did the movie resonate with you? What are your opinions on the screenplay? Fell free to discuss any aspect of this intriguing cinematic continuation of the television series, Firefly.

brswain

Comma Splice Survivor
Registered
Reaction score
I liked the movie, but like all Firefly fans I suspect it made me a little sad, because it felt like Whedon knew he had to close as many of the awesome story arcs from the series as he could in a two hour movie. So some things felt rushed that could have taken years to explore if the folks at Fox weren't such a group of knuckleheads.

I've not read the screenplay, I'm responding more to my gut reaction to the movie.

BlueCat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bluecatscreenplay.com
I agree that some of the arcs felt a little rushed. It would have been amazing to have had a few seasons to explore them all.

I liked the movie, but like all Firefly fans I suspect it made me a little sad, because it felt like Whedon knew he had to close as many of the awesome story arcs from the series as he could in a two hour movie. So some things felt rushed that could have taken years to explore if the folks at Fox weren't such a group of knuckleheads.

I've not read the screenplay, I'm responding more to my gut reaction to the movie.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Loved the series, but I stop watching anything as soon as a "star child" of any stripe shows up. It's clichéd to death, a cheat, and takes away from the other, more human, characters.