Best book format for "image dense" nonfiction?

mlovmo

Registered
Reaction score
I am considering what the best format would be for the book that I may attempt to publish someday.

I am currently in the process of researching, translating, and writing several short pieces on South Korean numismatics (coins). These articles are about an individual coin, or set of coins released at the same time at some time in the past.

In this book that I am envisioning, I would assemble all of these small pieces into a full-color text, with lots of graphics. I'd like to include lots of images, such as corner-to-corner sharp images of the coins themselves, preliminary pencil design-sketches and other documents from the Korean minting authority's archives, etc. I'd also want captions with those images, along with diagrams, and small "side-bar" type articles related to the the historical background in which these coins emerged.

I'm thinking that the best format might be a larger, coffee-table size book. People have directed me to either Blurb or Createspace for publishing, but I'll deal with that once I've figured out in what kind of text I'd like to present this writing.

To really get an idea of the kind of writing and graphics that I want to include, just google "30th anniversary of liberation coin" and the first search result you'll see is my last article that I put up as a webpage, with links to some others at the top of that page. I'm not done with writing all of these articles (which would end up being the sections/chapters of this proposed "book").

I would just like other's ideas of how such a book could be presented.

mlovmo

Registered
Reaction score
I'm guessing that the only way to create such a text would be to make this text as a large-landscape aspect, full-color photo book.

Wow. The Non-fiction forum at Absolute Write is quite... dead.

I guess I should lurk elsewhere.

Emily Winslow

Do Not Walk on the Grass
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emilywinslow.com
Commiserations. I'm always looking for new threads in nonfiction and autobio/memoir, but alas there aren't many active participants in those areas right now.

As for your specific question, I lack the knowledge to comment!

mlovmo

Registered
Reaction score
Commiserations. I'm always looking for new threads in nonfiction and autobio/memoir, but alas there aren't many active participants in those areas right now.

As for your specific question, I lack the knowledge to comment!

Kind of you to reply. Yes, I thought I'd find more nonfiction writers here. I guess it's just slow. I've read a few of the previous threads, and have enjoyed the conversation in them. Too bad they're old conversations... I mostly just read here at AW.

I'd like to talk to other nonfiction writers about writing nonfiction informational prose to (sort of) poetic standards, making the reading of the language as interesting and enjoyable as possible. Writers who write about coins often produce rather dry text, but I find that I can really enjoy this kind of informational writing, as a reader, if it relates the coins' historical/cultural context, the people involved, or the human systems involved that make for interesting narratives.

As for my question, one would have to look at the text that I produce for these articles to perhaps get an idea of what I'm asking. Anyway, I think I know what I want to do.
Thanks again.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd want to know the cost of such a project. I've done a few short nonfiction books but not included images because I was afraid they'd cost so much to produce that I'd have few buyers and it wasn't necessary for my books anyway. But with yours, yeah, I think you need those images. Of course, you could do it as an e-book and not have to worry about added cost.

Sorry I can't help you but if you get any info. on print books with images and cost, I'd love to hear it. Good luck.