Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Happy October, everyone! Time to set our monthly goals!

Since September was such a failure for me, my October goals are pretty much a rehash of those goals. I'm going to go easy on myself since the next three weeks are going to be batshit (tech for my show starts Tuesday, followed by two weeks of previews/rehearsal - the hell of a new musical).

1) Write up to the big climax of current WIP (Book #3 in my fantasy series)
2) Revise manuscript of Book #2 in series
3) Read 2 books
4) Write 1 blog post

What are YOU aiming to do in October?

Last edited:

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
I need to get a draft done - only about 20k words, but I want it done by the 18th. Should be a nice warmup for NaNoWriMo.
Then some high level edits of a draft that's awaiting editing.
Also of course planning my NaNo project.
Oh and publisher edits for my next release.

And reading and researching and giving the house a good clean up. (Split up over the four Sundays of the month. This helps me in November because it prevents me deciding I can't write just now, I simply must clean behind the fridge right this minute.)

auzerais

I like puppies.
Registered
Reaction score
I've been out of the game for embarrassingly long, so I am going to set a small goal to get me warmed up. I'm in the process of revising the first part of my novel, so I'm committing to editing three chapters this month.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Aw yes, new goals time!

1) Write at least 20k words of my HELLA FUN project.
2) Continue with my beta reading work and finally catch up with the queue.
3) Do some arty stuff.

I'm possible getting beta reader notes back this week which will give me some new priorities, but for now, let's keep it simple.

mongoose29

quelling the inner editor
Registered
Reaction score
I love this goal thread! So important for me to be held accountable in some way.

Goal 1: Complete second draft of half of my WIP historical novel. (November is for the second half.)
Goal 2: Write every day.
Goal 3: Connect with experts on this historical event. Fix some of those factual errors.
Goal 4: Finish a couple of the research books I've been plodding through.

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
For the first time in four years, I'm at a place where I can put my first WIP to the side (while it's out for some good edits/beating with a broom), and start playing around with a shiny new idea.

Goal 1: Write every day.
Goal 2: Develop Character Bible for TRA while writing TRA.
Goal 3: Have at least 50k words of TRA by the end of the month.
Goal 4: Begin SYSH edits by the end of the month.

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
I've been slacking off on goal-setting lately, so I'm going to try to ease myself back into it.

• Complete daily writing plan

I'm trying to make sure I write every day again, while also increasing the time I spend. Since I seem to respond well (for the most part) to 30-day challenges, I crested one that I hope will get me to where I want to be. I have no idea what projects I'll work on, but I kind of like the idea of keeping that part open.

It also seems like good prep for NaNo. Especially now that they've added the "update your word count 30 days in a row" badge. (I am also motivated by badges :tongue)

mongoose29

quelling the inner editor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been slacking off on goal-setting lately, so I'm going to try to ease myself back into it.

• Complete daily writing plan

I'm trying to make sure I write every day again, while also increasing the time I spend. Since I seem to respond well (for the most part) to 30-day challenges, I crested one that I hope will get me to where I want to be. I have no idea what projects I'll work on, but I kind of like the idea of keeping that part open.

It also seems like good prep for NaNo. Especially now that they've added the "update your word count 30 days in a row" badge. (I am also motivated by badges :tongue)

What do you mean by daily writing plan? Do you mean scheduling writing sessions in advance, or do you mean getting to a certain plot point by a certain day?

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
At a guess, I'd say it means "writing every day for X amount of time", where X increases over time. Can't say for sure, but that was the impression I got. :)

As for my October goals? I'm only setting 1.

Get my writing mojo back.

Because after no writing for over a month, I really need to find a way back into it.

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
Finish the draft of Tiger's Watch! This book has been in progress for quite some time, and I love it, but for one reason or another I just keep being too busy to actually finish it.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
LOL, I just noticed that the thread title is OctNoWri*No*... "October Novel Writing... No, forget it, I can't be bothered." :tongue *is tired and making lame jokes* *should probably go to bed*

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
LOL, I just noticed that the thread title is OctNoWri*No*... "October Novel Writing... No, forget it, I can't be bothered." :tongue *is tired and making lame jokes* *should probably go to bed*

LOL - good catch. I fixed it.

Queen Yinin

Newbie writer in over her head...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not really sure what my goal for this month is. I know I want to finish my first draft by the end of the year. But in a month? Idk. A few more chapters I guess - and a whole bunch of edits. If I put the editing to one side until it was done - and didn't have work, or friends - I could probably finish a first draft by the end of October but I don't really see that happening.

tiakall

*lurk*
Registered
Reaction score
My goals are:

1. FINISH THIS DAMN PROJECT ALREADY. Shooting for 50k, but I may not actually need that much. Whatever, as long as it gets done before November.
2. Prep both my big projects for Nano. That means solidifying outlines and setting up scenes in yWriter.
3. Run around (literally) like a crazy person. I have seven 5ks scheduled this month. First one tomorrow.

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
What do you mean by daily writing plan? Do you mean scheduling writing sessions in advance, or do you mean getting to a certain plot point by a certain day?

At a guess, I'd say it means "writing every day for X amount of time", where X increases over time. Can't say for sure, but that was the impression I got. :)

Yup, pretty much that :)

I'm not scheduling a specific writing block, because my "schedule" can be all over the place sometimes and historically it hasn't worked well. (The second I have to reschedule a session, everything falls apart.) So, I'm trying to work my way up to the amount time I want to spend writing every day, but I'm also trying to teach myself to work it in where I can, even if it means I have to do a number of different sessions during the day.

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
My "job":

- One hour a day with butt in chair putting words on the page. Research doesn't count. Making notes counts if and only if I'm writing new material in the notes. Editing counts.

My more ambitious goals are, lessee:

- A 50-250 word ficlet every day
- Edit Counting Bodies Like Sheep
- Finish The Gardener and edit it
- Submit both to at least two markets
- Write a short for October

I'd like to finish Null so I can write TINACOS for NaNo, but I already made a deal with myself that my goals are one rough draft and one edited draft every three months, so I'm leaving myself until the end of December to get it drafted and Devin's book ready to query. I'll also use the time to finish outlining TINACOS, which has been frustrating me for like two years.Then TINACOS will be the first quarter of 2016, while I get Null ready for querying.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Still too busy with rehearsals to write, and so tired when I come home that I eat dinner, stare at the TV for maybe an hour, then go to bed. Sometimes I try to read but my eyes usually cross within ten minutes. Next week is only going to be worse.

Since my book has been out on submission for over a year with no nibbles yet, and my current project is stalled out, I was feeling pretty down about my writing when the month began - but then I got an email from thinkerbeat.com telling me that my short-short story YAA & THE COFFINS won first place in their September Shorties contest! (You can read my story and the other winning entries for free - the link is on my bragging thread in the Goals & Accomplishments subforum. )

So I'm feeling like less of a lazy, talentless hack at the moment. :D

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
This is basically a rehash of last month's goals since September was an unproductive month.

1) Finish revisions. (I want betas next month!)

2) Outline for Nano.

Sam Argent

Rygel XVI
Registered
Reaction score
My October goals are finish Witches For Hire's edits, and organize wips so I have a better handle on what I can finish during NaNo.

Hogthrob

Registered
Reaction score
My goal is to finish my first draft, even if it sucks. Ah, who am I kidding with "if"? I mean, "even though​ it sucks."

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Kind of a bleh weekend of not-much-productivity. I need to seek out some critical, honest beta readers for the newly-finished project. Hoping to start work on that today.

- Edit Counting Bodies Like Sheep

Diggin' the A Perfect Circle reference, JetFueled. :)

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
I got the awesome news that I'm being promoted by the end of the month. So, yay! Consistent hours, paid sick + holiday leave, and double the earned vacation time. The two weeks of vacation time that I currently have is getting cashed out, although I did convince my boss to let me use one of those weeks this month. Since its paid time off, I don't feel guilty paying for daycare, while I finish editing this damn book.

Currently 174 of 489. 120k words.

I like this:

His lips were inches from hers. Kiss him, her mind said. It would be a lie, her heart replied. "I want to," she said, then clarified in a voice barely more than a whisper, "Be yours."

Status
Not open for further replies.