New pseudonym Query Letter

kelliewallace

Registered
Reaction score
I've traditionally published multiple times under my current author name - Kellie Wallace - and I want to publish my current WIP under a new pseudonym. However, how do I address my publishing history in a query letter under my new pseudonym? I don't wish for prospective agents/pubs thinking I've never published before. Thanks in advance.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Moved thread from Roundtable to General Publishing. :)

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're welcome, and good luck.

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
If you have an agent, this is obviously something to discuss with him/her. If not, I'd suggest just saying that you've had however many books published by major companies (if that's true) but have written this book under a pseudonym. You don't need to explain further. If they like what they read and are interested in publishing or representing you, then you'll need to reveal your real identity.

They will assume you're doing this because your last book or two didn't sell well. If there's another reason (changing genres or whatever) that doesn't suggest mediocre sales figures, you should probably mention that.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
You usually query with your own name, unless you're using the pseudonym to hide your identity from agents as well. Eventually you'll be using your own name on a contract, so you'll have to tell the agent eventually

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Always query under your real name. Pseudonyms go on the byline of the manuscript itself, not in a query letter. Trust me on this. You agent will keep your secret, if you want it kept secret. So will your publisher. You can even go to the extent of having the manuscript registered under the pseudonym so not one can find you that way.