I need a luxury hotel in San Francisco, pretty please!

Los Pollos Hermanos

Craving the next chocolate hit...
Registered
Reaction score
Back again for more brain-picking*!

(* = And that's not Mr Bad Guy's bad influence).

The scene:

It's November 2006 and a fancy party is in full swing at a POSH hotel in San Francisco. We're talking a "money is no object" megabucks party here, the kind of party you read about in the media and think "How much?!" as your meagre bank balance breaks out in a cold sweat.

I need the venue to have spectacular views of SF's nocturnal skyline, but that doesn't mean it has to be looking towards the city from the Bay. Ideally a central-ish location, but deeper into the edge of the city centre would work.

If anyone knows of such a hotel, please could you suggest it so I can do some googling and make up a fictitious version of the place? I did think about Alcatraz, but doubt they allow private parties (of the booze-up variety). Money wouldn't be an issue if they would allow it.

I spent five very enjoyable (albeit cold) days in SF back in summer 2011, but my budget is more "Travelodge near Presidio Park". ;)

Many thanks in anticipation,

LPH.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Last edited:

M.N Thorne

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I would say The Fairmont Hotel and The Ritz-Carlton are great luxury hotels. However, Ritz-Carlton's food is a little more blah than The Fairmont's.:roll:

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was going to suggest the Fairmont, but the Francis Drake and the Westin St. Francis would do well too. The Clift and The Palace would be choices to look at.

You'll need to do some digging to see if they were at their peak in 1996, but those would be current choices for quite a few weddings or society balls.

Jeff

Last edited:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Dittoing the Mark Hopkins. Haven't been in it, but you can tell by looking at it's location that the view will be spectacular...if you had the bucks to go there.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Los Pollos Hermanos

Registered
Reaction score
Many thanks for the suggestions! I'm currently investigating the Mark Hopkins as it has some sort of restaurant at the top with the amazing views required. Like I said, coughing up the fat stacks of Benjies (ha!) is not an issue for the host. The chapter will require a minor rewrite to make the hotel less generic in its details, but I'll spend today at work considering a new name for the place.

Some of the guests are English, so I'm sure "we" can also indulge ourselves with a little chuckle about it being in an area called Nob Hill. ;)

The Travelodge near Presidio Park was excellent for the money, btw. Very nice staff too. I also fulfilled a long-time ambition by driving south into the city over the Golden Gate Bridge - one of those moments when you realise you're actually on something that never fails to make you say "wow!" when you've seen it on TV. Did the Alcatraz and Angel Island experience, almost walked myself to death (those hills...) and would definitely go back one day.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
IIRC the restaurant you mention was called "Top of the Mark." You might need to google to see if it's still called that. When I was last in SF, it was still called that, still posh and quite pricey.

Los Pollos Hermanos

Registered
Reaction score
Been google image-ing -- the views are spectacular from up there. I've now got my name for the fictitious version of the hotel, but am still chewing on the name for its restaurant/party room.

Many thanks, good people of AW.

:heart: