Fringe Festival

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Can someone explain what a fringe festival is and how it works? Does the writer just hand over the play, and someone else takes care of actors, directing, lighting and the dance numbers? Okay, I don't have any dance numbers in my play, but if I did, would I have to choreograph them? From what I've read, it seems like the plays are selected at random or through some sort of lottery. Am I missing something? There are no fringe festivals in my state. Could I try to get my play into a fringe festival in another state? Really, how does all this work?

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My city's Fringe Festival is ongoing right now, and I went to two shows last night.

There are many plays performed, generally shorter plays (an hour or less) and edgy, risk-taking plays that won't appeal to everyone.

But there's no market for "raw" plays. A permanent or just-for-Fringe theater company must acquire the play, cast it (usually from their own people), stage it, costume it, make sets, direct it, light it, arrange for music and choreography as required--all things your typical playwright doesn't know how to do.

You can submit your play to theater companies outside your area for use at one (or more) Fringe Festival(s). Or you can organize a theater company in your community which puts together the play locally, then takes it to a Fringe Festival.

One thing worth the effort is finding programs from Fringes to see if you can tell who staged the plays. Groups that aren't temporary may be approachable via email if you can find a contact.

Maryn, who attended a cabaret and and adults-only variety show

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Unless you're interested in forming your own company and mounting the work yourself, then yes: you'll basically hand over your script. However, most producers of new works like to have the writer available to make changes/edits during the rehearsal process, so if you can't be physically present at rehearsals, that may be a drawback.

I've worked on a lot of new plays in my time (I'm a professional stage actress) and in fact, am working on a new musical right now (here's the link). The composer and the librettist are in the studio with the cast every single day, along with the director, the music director, the choreographer, the stage manager and all the various assistants. It's very much a collaborative process. If you've got some specific questions, maybe I can help answer them. You can PM me if you want.

Last edited:

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. This seems to be exactly what I was hoping for. I believe my play to be about a 30- to 45-minute performance. It is definitely edgy. I'm thinking it is too controversial for community theater in my area. And handing it over is pretty much what I'm looking to do. I'm a writer, but no so much an actor or director.

It's possible that I could be there for some rehearsals even though I live out of state. But if I was wanted there for a week or once a week or something like that, I might be able to swing it. I would definitely try to be as available as possible. I would really, really try. I want this to happen so bad!

I know this sounds stupid, but how hard is it to find a company to take your play to a fringe festival? This seems like such a cool thing, and I first heard about it here on AW. I imagine there might be quite a bit of competition to get someone to take a play, but I really believe in what I have created. And where would I find these companies and the right people to submit to?

mrsmig -- I am going to PM you. Thanks.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hope you will share any info you get in private that doesn't pertain just to you. I have a play that might work at a fringe festival sort of thing, although it's not edgy. It's more silly, about real historical characters and time travel.

Maryn, who had fun writing it

P.S. The best short play I have ever seen was at a fringe.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hope you will share any info you get in private that doesn't pertain just to you. I have a play that might work at a fringe festival sort of thing, although it's not edgy. It's more silly, about real historical characters and time travel.

Maryn, who had fun writing it

P.S. The best short play I have ever seen was at a fringe.

Maryn, some of the biggest hits at the Capital Fringe Festival (in Washington, DC, where I live) have been the giddy/spoofy/satirical works. I wasn't able to attend any of this year's Fringe, but I remember seeing a Fringe musical in 2010 that was loosely based on the Mario Bros. video games. It was one of the cleverest things I've ever seen and reportedly was acquired by Dreamworks for development into a Broadway musical.

Bloo

Roofied by Rylan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emergencyroomproductions.net
This is, in a nutshell, how a Fringe Festival works. First thing is, no Fringes are identical. Some utlize a lottery system, some it's the first 100 (or 500 or whatever) plays a producer submits. Some festivals you submit the play and a selection committee decides.

Once your play has been chosen, it is up to the producer [from here on out will be referred to as "you"] (in some cases the playwright) to find or serve as the director, assemble the cast, and orangize the rehearsals. You usually know months in advance if your show has been selected. Once you are in the hosting city, you are usually given one or two rehearsal periods to run through the technical stuff (your play has projections on the back wal and sound effects that go through the sound system--this is when you run through that with the equipment on hand.) This is also when you check to see how long it will take to set up and tear down your set. Fringe Festivals usually give performers 45 mins to an hour, with a half hour to set up and a half hour to tear down (sometimes less). This is strictly followed.

Most Fringe Festivals serve only as host. You, as a producer, pay the festival a set amount (usually depending on a) the size of the venue you want (hint smaller is cheaper) and b) length (some will offer a 90 min block but you will pay more) and c) number of shows you want to perform.) Attendees then usually pay for a Festival pass (maybe for the two weeks or whatever of the festival or for the day or weekend) and then wander or peruse the program for a show that catches their eye. Producers are hawking their shows, handing out flyers, talking to reporters, reviewers, etc. Doing everything in their power to get people to attend their show. Theater goers then pay the producing company for a ticket (usually $5-10--festival badges, to get into the festival, I've seen around $10-20). You then keep a percentage of the house gate (70-80% IIRC) and the Fringe gets their cut.

The producer provides the performance and pays the Festival to perform there and then collects the house; The Festival acts as host/landlord, providing a house to perform in, some publicity, and a small tech crew (someones it's a light/sound guy, maybe two, sometimes a stage manager.)

If you find a producer willing to do your show and you do not act as producer yourself, DO NOT GIVE YOUR SCRIPT AWAY! There are producers out there that will prey on young writers. Have a contract in hand, know what your rights are as a playwright (join the DGA), and make sure YOU GET PAID.

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
I live in Edinburgh so I think our Fringe Festival is a little bit atypical as it's the largest independent theatre festival in the world. It literally takes over the entire city -- every possible venue gets converted into performance spaces, from the backs of pubs to community halls. Our city population literally doubles during the Fringe.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not long ago I saw a show which came directly from the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, The Boy With Tape on His Face. It was terrific!