Ever been a first responder (pro or Good Samaritan) to someone who has suffered a facial injury?

Hogthrob

Registered
Reaction score
That's iodine, isn't it? :scared: Please tell me the owner of the eye is asleep when you do that..........
It has iodine in it. And yes, the patient is under anesthesia before prep, in this case. So, your smiley guy can uncover his face.:)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
We know human beings are innately programmed to respond to facial features. We even see them where they aren't - like faces in woodgrain or Jesus on toast. So, I was wondering if it's a harder shock to encounter a gruesome facial injury over, say, a broken leg or anything elsewhere on the body, even if very grisly. Would any of you would share your reactions to tending someone with a fresh facial injury? Was it more shocking - at the time or in reflection - or is wrecked up humanity just as raw anywhere on the body that you find it?

Thank you in advance for our insights!

This is, oddly, the first I ever 'spoke' of this. It happened almost two months ago. My partner and I were in the car coming up on a 4 way stop. Directly beside our car, of which I was the driver, a bicyclist was hit by a car. The bike cut out across the street behind a stopped car and the car that hit him didn't have the remotest chance to stop...bad bad bike move.

I stopped the car, jumped out, hollered for Michael to call 911 and got to the bicyclist just after he careened across the hood of the car and came down on the ground in front of it.

I feel sick writing this out.

The corner of his lip (his cheek actually...more than just the corner) was sheered. I remember analyzing it, physically, even as I was administering to him. When the side of your mouth tears, your whole bottom lip right to where it attaches to your gum line flaps down. The whole thing. He was just teeth and blood. He was an older gentleman...it broke my heart, but I held on to him and told him not to move...calmed him as much as I could with words. His legs were torn open. His arm was destroyed. His nose looked shattered. It was his mouth that made me want to scream. There was so so so much blood. Thick blood...just everywhere. I had just picked Michael up seconds before and I had to jerk the car to a stop in Michael's driveway because the man flew past me...coming out of nowhere. I actually said, "I almost hit that man." Then, I see him just down the road get utterly creamed.

I even had an argument with a noisy loud obnoxious neighbour who yelled at me to let the man get up. Nobody else saw it happen but us. Other people were around, but they only became aware at the aftermath. I saw him bounce and fly and hit the curb and land in the gutter. I knew it was best not to move him...but the dickhead guy who came over yells at me to let the guy get up. Trust me, the guy wasn't going anywhere. He was in shock and couldn't move if he wanted to. He landed on his belly...there was roadrash everywhere. And he was in a perfect position not to choke on the unbelievably large amount of blood coming from his face.

I basically cuddled him and told him it would be okay until the first responders arrived. His face actually scared me, Jamie. It was bad. In a non-human sort of way. It doesn't take much for a face to lose its humanity. I never would have guessed it. And that he was 70ish made it so much worse, I think...emotionally. Anyway...when it was over, I got back into the car, turned a corner, told Michael he would have to drive and then proceeded to bawl.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Oh lor...... that's horrible. :Hug2: But you helped that poor bloke. You really did, always remember that.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Wow, Kevin. I'm so glad you were there for that man. But I'm so sorry that had to happen - for all of you.

I've been doing a little research on facial injuries. It's amazing what they can patch you up from. Truly amazing. So maybe the doctors patched him up surprisingly well.

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
You did good, KTC. Oftentimes bystanders aren't really doing the patient any favors when they try to help out, like that obnoxious guy. They give bad advice, get in our way, stress out the patient and won't obey when you tell them to back off. But you did good. You helped that man.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Thanks, all. It's funny...after it was over, and I got my cry out...we almost didn't talk about it at all. A few weeks ago I just mentioned out of the blue that I hoped the man was okay. Michael looked into it...but there really is no way of knowing---with the privacy act. But really...we're almost positive he was going to be fine...stitches in a few places...and MAYBE some sort of surgery on his one knee...it looked pretty broken up. I just never really thought about the way a face is built before. Really, the bottom lip...if it's not being held up at the side...it's just going to completely hang down to the chin. The most chilling part of it was that. But I'm guessing a series of stitches is all that was needed there. Miraculously. We are so completely and utterly fragile.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
We are so completely and utterly fragile.

But we are also amazingly tough. We do heal a lot of the time. And medicine in the West is just amazing. Especially for wounds. Consequence of how many wars we've been in.........:D