Can a white writer write a (i.e.) Vodou practitioner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
While this seems innocent enough, this statement reflects a level of arrogance. I'm *NOT* saying you are arrogant, but it is inherent to a very Western worldview, the kind that informs old-school anthropologists. If you ask someone to teach about their religion/culture so you can do a better job of connecting with them that's great. If they tell you it's none of your business, respect that also. Please be aware of one thing. No one is obligated to educate you. No one is obligated to help you understand. Some spiritual practices, cultural traditions are held as sacred, so sacred that when outsiders become aware of it, it is considered a weakened. And given the history of colonialism, this is not an irrational belief. Respect should not be something a culture gets only if outsiders understand it.

You can not understand it, and still decide it is worthy of respect.

This is not just "my" opinion. This is me paraphrasing the thoughts of a Native American woman on a blog blasting JK Rowling for her careless depiction of them in her writing. I suggest you read up the responses to this controversy as well. It was/is a huge deal.

Let's get this clear:

I'm NOT the OP; I'm also NOT Western, and most certainly, am NOT White. In fact, don't label me. But you've done just that and have waltzed in here and assumed I'm at least two of those things. You do not know my background, nor who I am, so you can not understand or decide if I'm worthy of respect. How presumptuous of you. Excellent start.

The way the above paragraph is written really doesn't sit well, at all, does it? Or at least, it gets one's back up, yes? Those are the attitude and tone I don't like, and find infuriating and arrogant.

Let's re-phrase: I'm NOT the OP, I'm NOT Western, and I'm NOT White. Please don't assume anything about me because of one post; if you want to know, ask me.

Moving on:

My statement comes from a place where I don't want non-native people writing about my culture, because they can never do it without adding a filter that twists, distorts, and trashes my culture. However! I recognise the futility of that statement, because people will and do write what they want (publishing it is something else), and also saying something like that is hardly helpful. Why waste my energy tunnelling through a mountain with a toothpick when I can more productively and easily guide people who wish to learn over the mountain or around it? At the same time, I can correct misinformation. No, not obligated to do this. In fact, I'd prefer to tell the non-natives who'd write about my culture to just go away. Another exercise in futility.

Also, I never said anyone was obligated to teach anyone else anything. In fact, the alternative here is to just point someone in the right direction for research and let them go at it without disintegrating their interest. I agree with providing a caveat that the writer will be misinformed and will get things wrong, but I don't agree with demanding or commanding the writer stop writing on that subject. Other people are not within one's control. I can highly recommend the writer not write on the subject, but I can't stop them. Again, another attitude that sits wrong with me.

If the cultural traditions are sacred, then I agree — happily — to never have them revealed to outsiders. I never disagreed on that point, even where it states that it's a privilege.

I did not presume to understand anything, nor did I presume to decide if something is worthy of respect! Again, you've drawn unfounded conclusions from one post, and from what has been written so far, have not bothered to understand or consider that not everyone on this forum is Western! As I said: excellent start.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
We're done here. This is a necro'd post. The OP has long wandered off and we've got members sniping at each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.