Questions about unconsciousness/passing out

valerielynn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.booksie.com
I have a character that will end up passing out in a room full of people due to dehydration. Since I don't know a lot about dehydration or passing out, I'm just doing a little research. My first question is about how long would someone remain unconscious if they pass out due to dehydration? Would it be possible for my character to remain unconscious until the ambulance arrives at the hospital?

What procedures and/or treatments are done in the ambulance and at the hospital if dehydration is suspected? How does a person usually act when they wake up after passing out? How does a person usually feel after passing out? If my character has severe dehydration, would she be admitted to the hospital?

Last edited:

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
LOL, this sort of happened to my son. In a basketball arena. He didn't actually get to the full unconscious stage, but he got to the collapse stage, right as he approached the medic station. He was sitting in the arena for the "Welcome" festivities at college (in Boulder, CO, so altitude was a huge issue, too). He started to feel woozy and he was slurring his words. He went up the stairs and out to the concession area, his legs getting wobblier and wobblier, and his heart racing. They diagnosed him with dehydration right away, but because it wasn't a fully staffed EMT set-up, they couldn't give him IV fluids. The medics called him an ambulance. The hospital didn't admit him beyond ER, just re-hydrated him with IV and called me for our insurance information. :greenie

Sorry I can't be helpful about the waking up part. I think the how long would they be out would be related more to how dehydrated they are. Are organs shutting down, or is it a less severe case? If the ambulance comes with trained EMTs they might get the fluids started right away, which may (or may not) wake your character up.

Last edited:

MDSchafer

Banned
Reaction score
Website
firstfolio.blogspot.com
If dehydration is suspected the EMTs will scoop her up, start an IV in the hand, hang lactated ringers and dump them in the emergency room where they will be treated and released. If they're exhausted and dehydrated it's possible they won't come around until after they've been rehydrated.

If it's just a standard primary dehydration they'll feel like they have a hangover a lot of times. Most of what a hangover is, is slight dehydration. Unless her labs were funky she probably wouldn't be admitted. They'd do an initial lab draw, run some fluids into her, check her labs in three or four hours and so long as there wasn't anything outside of the norm release her. That's if she's young and healthy, in the elderly they'll probably admit them to a short stay unit for observation.

Last edited:

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was out for a few minutes, groggy for a bit before and after coming to, until the IV kicked in. Overnight in the hospital, 36 hours or so between admittance and discharge. My dehydration resulted in low blood pressure that was the actual reason I passed out.

What do you need for your story?

Jeff

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
What WeaselFire said: Do what you need for your story. Becoming unconscious is an individual event, and duration and severity vary greatly. There is no "normal".

caw

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
I've passed out many times, sometimes due to dehydration, sometimes due to heat/sun stroke, sometimes due to low blood pressure. I have autonomic disorders (amongst other things).

The most recent case of passing out due to dehydration, I had no warning that I was going to pass out. I was on the toilet (bad diahrrea and vomiting), I woke up on the floor. It was the middle of the night. I had severe muscle weakness, so standing up was out of the question. I crawled back to my bedroom and into bed and feel asleep almost immediately. In hindsight, I should have gone to the hospital, but my brain was not working well at all, so it wasn't a decision I was capable of making - so yes, massive confusion. I have no idea how long I was out for. Usually, when I pass out, it's for a minute or two. This time? No clue. I had a headache and generally felt like I'd been run over by a semi for a few days.

About no warning with passing - I usually have a warning. I usually feel the curtains closing. Not this time.

DiloKeith

Doesn't scare easily
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dilokeith.wordpress.com
I realize I'm late to post about this, but in case you're still looking for info, this page has what I think is a good overview, based on my experience and prior understanding. I tend to faint easily from heat, which is related, as well as other causes.
http://firstaid.about.com/od/chronicillnesses/qt/08_Fainting.htm

The bottom line: unless the person has an advanced case or other health problems related to it, it can be very quick. Once on the ground, they'd usually be conscious soon.

Last edited:

Dave Williams

Zappa isn't frank!
Registered
Reaction score
I've passed out a few times. Normally, I don't remember passing out; I just remember waking up.