• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Please, just stop talking!

Status
Not open for further replies.

paddismac

Parasite free since '09
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently running through what seems like the hundredth round of revisions on my upper-MG novel, and this time through I'm getting the feeling that too much of my story is being related through dialogue. I've gone through the prologue (don't judge me!) and first two chapters and highlighted all the dialogue. It's very colorful, and I know that the next twenty-two chapters are the same.

I don't know, maybe the fact that it's omni (and my narrator is a "talker" as well) adds to this overly conversational feel, and it's not really the dialogue in and of itself... I'm just grasping at straws here. The manuscript has been through three readers, and it wasn't pointed out as an issue, but none of my readers are (fiction) writers. <sigh> I've been told at this point, to leave it alone and stop tinkering, but as long as I'm still getting these feelings, I'll continue to look for faults.

I know there's no formula for these things, but is there such a thing as too much dialogue? I'm thinking "yes", since there's such a thing as too much everything else.

Anyone dealt with this, and how have you handled it?

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
It's easy to get carried away with dialogue, because banter is fun to write. So that's what I look for when editing: what was the point of this scene? Does the dialogue continue after that point has been made, or go on too long before? Should I have spent a few lines on reaction or scene setting instead? Sometimes if I cut lines I really like, I find I can recycle them into other scenes, so even killed darlings can be resurrected.

You might try putting up a scene in SYW, and getting specific feedback from the writers here.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
How is omniscient in anyway related to dialogue? Sounds like you're either overthinking it or confusing dialogue for something else.

Dialogue should be interesting and/or move the story forward. If it does that, leave it in. If it doesn't, cut it. No such thing as too much or too little if you follow this.

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
I'd trust my instincts--if you feel like there's too much dialogue, then do a separate edit just for that. Of all the facets of fiction writing, dialogue responds best to stringent editing. First you cut out all the repetition and the social noises ("Hi, how are you? Nice day! How's the wife?") that lubricate our daily existence but just slow fiction down. Then you want to make sure that your dialogue multi-tasks. Here are some of the things to look for:

Does the dialogue advance the novel's plot?

Does it advance characterization and define relationships?

Does it convey a sense of thought underlying speech, of an inner life?

Does it contain unnecessary social noises and repetition? The latter includes the back-and-forth sort of arguments typical of real life but tedious in fiction, as in: "Yes I did!" "No you didn't!" "Did too!" "Did not, you liar!"

Is the dialogue misused to convey exposition or backstory that ought to be provided thru other means?

Do characters censor their thoughts? Do they sometimes use language to withhold or deceive? In any dialogue, what's unsaid is just as important as what's unsaid.

Hope that helps.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
paddi, when your car scene was in SYW I don't recall anyone thinking too much dialogue was a problem. It sounds to me a little like over-familiarity with your MS. Sometimes when I'm reading I "hear" my characters in my head so that compounds the sense of "talking" when reading--because they have voices, which is a good thing, right? :D It's possible that's what you have going.

And I don't think the "looking for faults" thing ever goes away. Published authors find faults in their published work all the time...or think they do. If people read it, and like it, that's what matters. At some point you have to test the market. But it might be worth putting another section--pick one of the super colorful ones--up in SYW. Don't ask about dialogue or "talking." Just see what the feedback looks like. If no one mentions it, you're probably in fine shape.

celoise

Truss me I iz lawyor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, maybe I'm an (idiotic) outlier, but I prefer getting 411 through dialogue as long as it isn't clunky and an obvious info dump. If your readers didn't tag it, maybe it's all up in your noggin? Maybe post a bit of the problem areas on SYW and get some input?

VRanger

Registered
Reaction score
the South. Faulkner would be my inspriation if I'd
Barbara's comment was excellent. I just thought I'd add that dialogue serves a completely different purpose than "real life talking". When you converse in real life, you are communicating to your partner in the conversation. In dialogue, you are communicating to the reader, not the other character. So in Barbara's 4th question, she is discussing "small talk" that is (sometimes) important and interesting between people in real life, but brings your story to a stand still when you include it in dialogue. Dialogue must be disguised as real conversation. It cannot be real conversation.

http://www.literautas.com/en/blog/post-697/ten-keys-to-write-effective-dialogue/

We don't see your dialogue to critique, so if it meets the criteria and objectives of both Barbara's comment and the above blog, you're fine. If it doesn't, you're looking at more revision if it needs "fixing".

I once saw dialogue taken to the extreme. A few years ago I was asked to review a work that was TEN NOVELS LONG (in one Kindle file). The writing was 100% dialogue. The author was delighted with herself at the "experimental achievement". Me? I couldn't get through the first chapter of the first book.

Last edited:

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
I once saw dialogue taken to the extreme. A few years ago I was asked to review a work that was TEN NOVELS LONG (in one Kindle file). The writing was 100% dialogue. The author was delighted with herself at the "experimental achievement". Me? I couldn't get through the first chapter of the first book.

Good Lord. It's an interesting idea but she'd have had to be a genius to pull it off. Ivy Compton-Burnett's novels are 90% dialogue, and they're riveting...but she is a genius.

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
The manuscript has been through three readers, and it wasn't pointed out as an issue, but none of my readers are (fiction) writers.

This part stood out to me. Sometimes writers can be overly persnickety about the little things that an average reader wouldn't care about.

It's just not necessarily a bad thing to not have other fiction writers give feedback.

VRanger

Registered
Reaction score
the South. Faulkner would be my inspriation if I'd
Good Lord. It's an interesting idea but she'd have had to be a genius to pull it off. Ivy Compton-Burnett's novels are 90% dialogue, and they're riveting...but she is a genius.

I should have included that when I mentioned 100% dialogue, I meant 100%. There weren't even any dialogue tags. Characters referred to each other early in a conversation, and you had to keep track of it from there. I was reminded of this when I just checked out a Compton-Burnett preview and saw a dialogue tag. LOL

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I don't go by amount or percentage, but by how important the dialogue is. I always try to show, rather than tell, and dialogue is usually tell, but, for me, it comes down to how important the dialogue is.

If a character has something important to say, and that is better with tell than with show, I let the character say it. I really don't care whether a story is almost all dialogue, or has no dialogue at all. I care about show versus tell, and about the reason the character speaks.

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
She also writes great descriptions, and the voices are so individuated that it's never hard to tell who's talking. Give her a try--I think she's brilliant and much more fun than her contemporary, Virginia Woolf.

paddismac

Parasite free since '09
Registered
Reaction score
I want to thank everyone for your thoughts and suggestions for moving forward with my revisions.

Barbara R, I appreciate the mention of Ivy Compton-Burnett. I wasn't familiar with her work, and had a browse through several of her titles. I will be investigating her work further. The first one I chose (Elders and Betters) opened with dialogue and... just kept talking! I'm pretty sure if I had read her work first, I would never have started this thread!

I'm combing through my manuscript for a section I feel is representative of what I fear may be "overly talky" to post in SYW. It's tough to find something that illustrates my issue, but won't take a ton of explanation to set-up. My opening chapter doesn't seem to be quite as bad as chapter two/onward, and I won't post the prologue (even though it's short), 'cause it's a prologue and will get no love here. :greenie

I often think that if I had realized how hard this was going to be, and how seriously I was going to take it, I might never have started writing. But I'm addicted now, and will just have to keep pushing through and doing and learning more until I get it right!

Old Forge

one light burning for break of day
Registered
Reaction score
Another one it might be worth your taking a look at is Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall. She mixes 'quoted speech', reported speech and inner thoughts so that the pace never slackens. It keeps the feel fresh and interesting.

Good luck with the edit!

paddismac

Parasite free since '09
Registered
Reaction score
Another one it might be worth your taking a look at is Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall. She mixes 'quoted speech', reported speech and inner thoughts so that the pace never slackens. It keeps the feel fresh and interesting.

Good luck with the edit!

Gah! That's so weird! I got Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies from the library over the weekend. Now I'm really looking forward to them. I'll feel less like a slacker for spending time reading instead of writing. It'll be research! Thanks!

JimRac

Registered
Reaction score
The manuscript has been through three readers, and it wasn't pointed out as an issue, but none of my readers are (fiction) writers.

If it didn't bother them and they didn't give you other feedback that could possibly be a consequence of too much dialogue, then you are probably good.

I'm combing through my manuscript for a section I feel is representative of what I fear may be "overly talky" to post in SYW. It's tough to find something that illustrates my issue, but won't take a ton of explanation to set-up.

Just post a big chunk and don't worry about backstory/set-up. We'll figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.