A question about opening sentences in relation to a story

Randomlunacy

Registered
Reaction score
Let's say you start off a book with something like (and this is just random btw to give an example); Ten years ago I killed my best friend. Five days ago I watched my father executed.

Is it weird to not at least give an explanation for these two occurrences quickly - or can they come out naturally as the story progresses?

DetectiveFork

Registered
Reaction score
I think that if you're going to hold off on the explanations, at least say something to the effect that the events you're about to describe are what led up to it. You leave people holding their breath after that first paragraph, so I think there needs to be some indication that they're about to get the answers, but need to know the background first. Start by describing the friend they know is about to die, for example.

Leila76

Registered
Reaction score
I personally love opening sentences that create questions. So I would read those two sentences and enjoy them and not want or need explanation right away... The unanswered would carry me into the story and create momentum for me as a reader.

I will say that I would want those two events to wind up being connected in some way. If they're completely disconnected as the story continues, then the opening starts to feel gimmicky.

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
I should expect the story to at least make a pretense of starting to explain those facts, but it will be forgiven if it begins to ramble and a good deal of story is necessary before sense can be made of the scenario, kind of like this sentence.

I will say about the content of those particular events that I hope they're just an example. An interesting story is not based on high stakes alone.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
This might be better moved to Basic Writing Questions, where it will probably get a bigger audience. Perhaps a mod will do so. But my response is that in the absence of further context, it's impossible to judge.

caw