Signed with an agency

katdad

I've just heard from the agency who was evaluating my private detective novels.

They have offered me a contract for representation, and are quite enthusiastic about selling my books to a publisher.

The agency is a legitimate one, AAR signatory, and non-fee charging of course.

Maryn

Yippee!

That's great news. First step of what may be a most fruitful career, right? Right.

It's nice to hear that someone we know is succeeding, gives us in the muck some hope.

Maryn

Stace001

Congratulations Katdad, I'm really happy for you. Here's to a long and fruitful career.:D

katdad

My agent hopes to find a publisher for my first novel in early 2005. But of course there's no guarantee.

In the meantime I'm putting the finishing revisions on my second novel in the series, and hope to have it to the agency by mid-January.

If these novels sell, everyone will be invited to the party.

Maryn

Oh, Good!

"If these novels sell, everyone will be invited to the party."

I'm salivating at the prospect of finger food and, I hope, a decent merlot...

So we've got our fingers crossed in hopes of a rapid sale, for our own selfish reasons!

Maryn

katdad

Re: Oh, Good!

I'm salivating at the prospect of finger food and, I hope, a decent merlot...
Of course! Pass me thet bag of pork rinds, will yuh?

And remember to screw the top back on the wine and stick it back in the fridge! Some more of them artsy-fartsy types may show up later.

Nateskate

I believe in you Katdad. From the moment I saw your sig, I just knew this was a successful writer.

Congrats, and don't forget us when you hit the big time!

Nate.

katdad

I finished my 2nd novel in the "Mitch King" mystery series and sent it to the agency on Wednesday. They received it today.

Maryn

Two for Two!

Again with the good news! Now brace yourself for the sales war that may soon erupt.

We're proud of you--our own Local Boy Makes Good, eh?

Maryn, still only 20,000 words in or so

Betty W01

Re: Two for Two!

Katdad, whoo-whoo! Congratulations!! Let's go ahead and party now. We can (and will) throw another when you get a sale.

23.gif

katdad

Re: Two for Two!

Let's go ahead and party now.
You're too late. I did some partying Thursday. But anytime you're in Houston we can revive the celebratory mood.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
:PartySmil :TheWave: :TheWave: :PartySmil :PartySmil :PartySmil :PartySmil :TheWave: :TheWave:

THAT IS SOOOO GREAT......WOOOWOOO.....CONGRATES....

~~~~~~~WENDY~~~~~

katdad

Registered curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.waas.us
You're welcome. Now I'm working on the 3rd novel (among other things) while I let my agent shop the first two novels to publishers.

Last I spoke with him, he was pretty enthusiastic that he'd find a sale in the near future.

Then the party will commence! All my literary friends will be welcome to attend, just as long as they are in Houston.

BradyH1861

Hold Fast.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
civilwaraddict.com
Good Luck!!!

Hey,

Good luck with that! I plan on buying one of the first copies. I am about 35 miles from Houston, so I hope to recognize some of the locations! (I recall that they are set in Houston, right?) Best wishes!

Brady H.

katdad

Registered curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.waas.us
Houston - Galveston

BradyH1861 said:
Hey, Good luck with that! I plan on buying one of the first copies. I am about 35 miles from Houston, so I hope to recognize some of the locations! (I recall that they are set in Houston, right?) Best wishes!
Brady H.
Thanks!

Yes I've spent many happy times in Galveston, much of it on Apfel beach (East) or along the Strand during the various festivals.

In novel #1 I have a major plot line at JSC / NASA involving an astronaut. One prominent location is the Outpost, that famous astronaut hangout bar.

In Houston I also have the Montrose district, downtown, River Oaks, Memorial, Rice University. Plenty of bars and restaurants, too. My protagonist private detective lives in the Heights.

In novel #2, still in Houston, I have some gangster places in the barrio, and a lush bay-side townhouse in Clear Lake. And plenty of bad stuff involving a serial killer, "The Slicer".

When my novel sells, I'll let everyone know, and later, I will notify folks about the signings for sure.

Good Word

still crazy after all these years
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wordmountain.com
Congrats, Katdad!

Care to share with us some details on how your agent experience so far?

For example, how did you find the agent? How long did it take you? What is the contract like?

And what's the latest?

Tell us, tell us!:snoopy:

katdad

Registered curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.waas.us
My agent thus far

My agency experience is pretty typical, I guess.

I found the agent from a recommendation. A pal I know is represented by this agency and he suggested I email them.

I emailed them, they responded, and then I sent a synopsis plus 3-4 chapters of novel #1. This I did via email.

They like this, asked for the complete novel, in hard copy. This all took about 2 weeks from my first email.

The novel was read and passed around at the agency. They had it about 6 weeks, then sent me a contract!

The agency is a "legit" one, an AAR (Association of Artists' Representatives) and Authors' Guild signatory. They charge no up-front fees, such as evaluation fees or reading fees. Their sole source of income is their standard 15% commission.

My 2nd novel was just sent to them, and they are still evaluating it.

I only signed in November, and publishing houses practically shut down over the holiday season, so my novel only just now being shopped around -- since the beginning of the year.

The contract was pretty standard, 2 pages long, written in plain slightly legal English. It gives the agency exclusive rights to market my novel, and they get 15% commission. If they sell the book, and then I quit the agency, they still get their 15% on any continuing income from sales they made while I was a client. That's standard and sensible.

Either of us can terminate the representation with written notice. If we part company, any new stuff I write is of course none of their business.

So far I haven't heard anything, but any legitimate agency that only makes money from sales can't stay in business for long if they don't get results. They have been in business for 11 years, and prior to that (as it usually happens) the principal agent worked for another agency.

My agent was fairly optimistic that we'd have a sale this spring. I'm excited at the prospects, of course.

Brendacious

Congratulations! Wonderful news! This is only my first log-in, but I want to add my congratulations.
Brendacious

Good Word

still crazy after all these years
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wordmountain.com
Katdad,

Was this the only agency you submitted these manuscripts to?

katdad

Registered curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.waas.us
Good Word said:
Katdad, Was this the only agency you submitted these manuscripts to?

No, this was the 3rd or 4th agency who had requested my complete first novel.

Dev

Registered
Reaction score
Great going, Katdad!! Congrats!