Which drawing program do you use for your digital art?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gibby

Registered
Reaction score
I'm very much in the draw / ink by hand, then use Illustrator for clean vectors and Photoshop for final touchup – camp.

Illustrator is it's own worst enemy. Of the Adobe programs, it's the one friend in the group you really can't stand at the beginning. And even after months of hanging out – he's still too awkward to merit anything but a must-be-polite invite. But when you're drunk and behind bars and everyone else is either drunk and in there with you or not picking up the phone – Illustrator is the one that will bail you out. At least, that's my take.

If I can get away with it and it's a really tight deadline, I secretly use InDesign for vectors – don't tell Illustrator though.

Raellic

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.raellic.net
Photoshop. Using it for 20 years, and I'm one of those Adobe fanatics who thinks there is no substitute. I wish it would run on Linux.

Last edited:

StylusRumble

Registered
Reaction score
Photoshop for doodling, painting for fun, or background art - been using it for nearly 20 years so I don't see that changing. Can't stand Illustrator though, I use Toonboom Harmony for vector art and animation.

RedMargarita

Neck deep in research
Registered
Reaction score
Website
queerstrada.wordpress.com
I mostly work on my ipad, but before that I used Krita, which I recommend for newbies. It's got a bit of a learning curve, but I personally think it rivals Photoshop. Now, I'm using Procreate, Vectornator (when it's not bugging out), and Affinity Designer. Although, Affinity Designer is more for my graphic design and UX work.

Summonere

Registered
Reaction score
Paint Shop Pro 7 and, lately, Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer. I've also doodled with Krita and like it, too.

Last edited:

micahkolding

Banned
Reaction score
Krita is great; it's free, easy to use, and very effective. I did my whole children's book by drawing in pencil and then scanning into Krita.

Sinuka

Queer Bavarian Metal Potato ~ NTMY
Registered
Reaction score
Though this thread is older...
I am using Clip Studio Paint which I can totally recommend.

Kevin_C_Vang

Banned
Reaction score
Since I started trying to become an artist - not even a better artist since I'm not even ready to crawl into the newbie creche yet - I've tried out different programs. By now I've tried MyPaint, SAI Paint Tool, Photoshop, and Krita.

https://krita.org/

I'm actually a little bit in love with Krita. I would say it's as good as Photoshop - with much of the same philosophy behind it, except it's free. Though, it's purposefully more limited since the devs are focusing exclusively on making a digital painting and drawing program. So, while there is some 'photoshopping' functionality, it only exist to make painting easier.

The artist David Ravoy has made some fantastic pieces with Krita. Here:

It made me think - what program is your favourite?
I use Clip Studio EX, my friend. It's the best program for comics/manga. Photoshop is good too; however, it may be too strong for your computer since there's too much crap that is input there. Clip Studio is the best for me in my taste. This is why I suggested that you should get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.