SepNoWriMo 2015!

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
With a new month nearly upon us, it's time for a new monthly goals thread!

As I mentioned in the August thread, I'm going to ditch the word-counting. Instead, I'll aim to complete sections of my book instead. The beginning of September is going to be fairly quiet for me, but then it's going to pick up abruptly on the 15th when I start rehearsing my next production. I'll have to get as much accomplished in the first two weeks of September as possible.

So here are my goals:

1) Write up to the big climax of current WIP (Book 3 in my fantasy series)
2) Revise manuscript of Book #2 in series (I swear I'm going to get this done - it's been on my To-Do list way too long)
3) Read 3 books
4) Write 1 blog post
5) Read remaining two plays on my list

What about you guys?

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I have but 2 goals this month:

1. Write something (anything at all!) for Little House of Flames. (It's been a few months since I touched it, and is by far the biggest hurdle in my writing life right now.)
2. Finish all the first drafts that are currently being worked on. (Probably no more than 30k total between them. Definitely doable.)

#1 is setting the bar low, #2 is reaching for the stars. We'll see how that works out...

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, my goals this month is going to be insane. I'm aiming for 2,000 a day, but ideally 4,000 a day. I'm starting to feel the pressure from not getting much done while I was injured and now time is tight. I want to get the series done this month. However, I'm in crunch mode now, so hopefully I'll be able to pull this off. In preparation for this, I'm taking the other books off the table this month and will be concentrating on the series books.

Starting Counts:

Series
Book 1: 8,451/50,000
Book 2: 41,541/50,000
Book 3: 6,768/50,000
Book 4: 4,277/50,000

tiakall

*lurk*
Registered
Reaction score
I need to finish my current work this month so I can finish my outlining in October. So if I don't have 50k by the end of this month, kick me in the teeth.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Last month was a pretty mixed bag. Hopefully, I'll do better this month.

• Finish applying edits (120 pages remaining.)
  • Finish synopsis
  • Finalize for real the query
  • Finish my costumes for Comicon
  • Finish my dad's costume for Comicon :evil
  • Pack for vacation

I leave for vacation on the last of the month, and come back three days before Comicon... I need to get my butt in gear.

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
I might just go crazy this month based on my gigantic to do list. And this is just writing related. Nevermind I'm renovating a house in the mean time...

• Organize cover reveal for Sally Sleuth & The Missing Mice in September.
  • Work on edits for Sally Sleuth & The Missing Mice.
  • Write first draft of Sally Sleuth book two.
  • Edit Sally Sleuth book two and submit to publisher.
  • Work on edits for Demonic Pact (Angel of Death #2).
  • Work with cover designer / book manager on a cover for Demonic Pact.
  • Edit Allegro Academy #1.
  • Edit Ghostslayer #1.
  • Finish writing first draft of Ghostslayer. Currently: 40k-75k words.
  • Write first draft of Confessions of a Teenage Warlock. Currently: 0k-60k words.
  • Edit short story for in The Animal anthology.
  • Edit short story for Girls Rock Horror Harder ezine.
  • Promote The Animal on release day.
  • Promote Girls Rock Horror Harder ezine on release day.
  • Work on release day event for Daddy’s Boy.
  • Edit Fire & Brimstone, pt. 1 and submit to publisher.
  • Proofread two client projects.
  • Edit two client projects.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mercy, eternalized - that's quite a list! Good luck!

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
I did 13 pages today. That's not a big celebration sort of thing. I might have sorted out my issue with the end of the book, so at least that's something.

Next scene is one of the total rewrites. I'm a little anxious about it since I haven't added anything fresh to this book in months. I am worried it'll look like a patch.

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
There's a rumor around work that I'll be promoted by the end of October, which means I won't be working crazy hours during Nano month. *Crosses fingers*

Goals for September

1: Finish 3rd draft of my fantasy novel. Currently revising: pg 64/438

2: Create outline for new novel, which will be based on one of my trunked novels.

3: Beta for friend.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
That's wonderful, Meowz!

I'm not going to be able to write today or tomorrow. Knew that going in this month, but hoped I might be able to squeeze in some writing, but it doesn't look like that'll be the case. Eagerly waiting for Thursday to come so that things can ease up a little. Which is also perfect timing, because my college football team's first game of the season is on Thursday! Woohoo!

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wafting positive thoughts your way, meowzbark!

Got a little bit of writing done yesterday - still not burning down the house but it was something. Very close to the end of In This House of Brede and ready for it to be done. Such a long-winded book; so many nuns.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Coming out of hiding for September... The last two months have been ridiculous. August started out with me getting stranded in Canada on my way home from Paris, continued on with 30-ish pages of homework getting completed in a 17-hour timespan, and ended with a whole slew of new changes.

To start with, eight keys on my tablet's keyboard are no longer functioning. -_- I can't type the letters q, w, r, y, u, or o, and the left arrow key and the enter button aren't working, either. Luckily the USB port on the keyboard is still functional, so I can plug in my USB keyboard and type that way (like I am now). It's a little bit of a hassle and I keep forgetting about the non-functional keys, but I ordered a replacement keyboard off of eBay and it should be here next week.

In better news, I got a kitty! :D My boss's neighbors abandoned their kitten when they moved about a month before I left for Europe, so my boss had been feeding her and trying to re-home her. I got to take her home about two weeks after I came back. Apparently her original owners weren't too kind to her... She's gone cross-eyed from being kicked and her tail is broken in multiple places. She's claustrophobic and she's the first cat I've ever met who doesn't like boxes (I had a few set out for her, but when I saw she wouldn't go near them my mom took them home with her and she promptly sent me a picture of my other cat sprawled halfway inside and halfway outside one of them. He looked very satisfied with himself), and she loves me but she hates all strangers. Or at least she did love me... I'm not so sure about that anymore since I just got back from dropping her off at the clinic to get fixed...

In other news... I'm now Co-Municipal Liaison for the USA :: Oregon :: Eugene/Lane County region for NaNoWriMo! :) I'm really excited and also a bit nervous... My Co-ML is going into her tenth and final year of MLing for the region this year, and she always goes over the top for us. She's fantastic and I spent quite a bit of last year learning about what she does as an ML, and I'm hoping I'll be able to do a great job like her. She's trying hard to pass the torch this year... We also have two unofficial Co-MLs (one of whom is essentially a permanent Co-ML who has been in that position for quite a while; I don't know who the other one is yet), and she's changed her avatar from our mascot, Thaddeus the Pteranodon, to a former mascot so I could use Thaddeus as my own avatar (he's been staying with me since the end of NaNo last year). I'm going to be spending a lot of this year learning more about how she likes to run things, and then next year who knows what's going to happen? Anyway, I'm really excited and I'm looking forward to this. :)

I have almost a full month before classes start up again, which means free time, so I can have goals again!

Goals for September:
*Complete 3 DayZero goals
*Write 10k
*Start NaNo-plotting
*Read 5 books
*Ignore all school-related reading and writing until the weekend before classes start
*Play video games

Hm. Good enough.

~Amber~

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nice to have you back, Amber!

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Glad to be back, mrsmig!

I've got good news... Kitty doesn't totally hate me after getting fixed. :D She's acting like she forgot I had anything to do with it... I'll take it!

~Amber~

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
I still haven't decided whether I succeeded or failed in August, but as it's now September, it doesn't matter!

September goals:
1. Edit Book 2 chapters 0/2
2. Look into stagnating stories and decide whether they need resubmitting, editing, or trunking.
3. Continue agent list 14/30
4. Maybe possibly send first query. Maybe.
5. Read four books 0/4
6. Min 500 words or 2 pages edited per day

I have lots of stories just sitting. I'm really bad at sending them back out when I get a rejection. I just go, 'Oh, I'll do that later.' Then I forget about them.

Sam Argent

Rygel XVI
Registered
Reaction score
I've gained my strength back from my summer weak spells due to the heat letting up and vitamins, so I'm back in.

Finish editing the rewrite of Witches for Hire
Finish writing 2 wips. One is at 8k and needs to be around 60k. The other is 18k and will probably end at 100k.

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
This is the first month in a LONG TIME that I'm not actually planning to do any original writing. My goals are editing based:

(1) Complete two-rounds of editing with editors at my publisher for Unicorn Tracks. I just finished the first round. It was a crazy time. Still feeling a little bit dizzy, and round two is coming ... dun dun dun.
(2) Get the novella manuscript I wrote ready for submission, and rev up the old query engine.

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
I deleted 10,500 words from my book last night (I save everything I delete that's more than a paragraph long in a separate file.). Already, 1400 words have weaved back into the story. Currently revising page 85/412.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finished In This House of Brede and immediately started another Discworld book as an antidote. It's not that Brede was bad; structurally I just found it difficult going. I'm not counting it into my goals for the month since I read the bulk of it in August. I've read a couple more plays for my friend at the theatre - really wish that had been a goal 'cause I'm burning through these scripts.

However, I'm still not writing anything much. I wrote a little piece that would fit nicely into the next book in the series, but nothing on the WIP. My hubs is departing for a somewhat complicated overseas trip in less than a week, and is fighting some sort of bug in addition to the stress. Consequently he's been a bit needy. I can't blame my lack of writing on him, though; I think I'm just at an awkward place in my WIP. I know the trajectory of the plot; I know what's going to happen next and how everything winds up, but what I really, really want to do is go back to the beginning of the WIP and fix a bunch of plot holes. They're little ones, but they're like weeds in a garden - I want to go back and clean 'em out so I can get a better feel for the whole before I go further. So I'm arguing with myself about doing that, and meanwhile I'm at a standstill. :p

Zaris

Registered
Reaction score
This month, many things i will do...

1) I will submit my phd thesis in ancient history next week... Hope that everything goes fine !
2) Find some decent-paid work in my domain. Or otherwise, immigrate into another country.
3) Dedicate more time for writing.... getting my draft from the already existing 25 000 words to 50 000 words.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Finished In This House of Brede and immediately started another Discworld book as an antidote. It's not that Brede was bad; structurally I just found it difficult going. I'm not counting it into my goals for the month since I read the bulk of it in August. I've read a couple more plays for my friend at the theatre - really wish that had been a goal 'cause I'm burning through these scripts.

However, I'm still not writing anything much. I wrote a little piece that would fit nicely into the next book in the series, but nothing on the WIP. My hubs is departing for a somewhat complicated overseas trip in less than a week, and is fighting some sort of bug in addition to the stress. Consequently he's been a bit needy. I can't blame my lack of writing on him, though; I think I'm just at an awkward place in my WIP. I know the trajectory of the plot; I know what's going to happen next and how everything winds up, but what I really, really want to do is go back to the beginning of the WIP and fix a bunch of plot holes. They're little ones, but they're like weeds in a garden - I want to go back and clean 'em out so I can get a better feel for the whole before I go further. So I'm arguing with myself about doing that, and meanwhile I'm at a standstill. :p
I think you should go back and fix them. If it's preventing you from making progress in your current spot, it's not helping, and the whole point of putting off fixing stuff is so that you can finish. At least you will be using your time productively.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
My targets for this month:

1) Finish this friggin' rewrite. Currently 65% of the way done after blowing last month's targets.
2) Go onto something new and shiny
3) Beta read like the wind!

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Still haven't done my rewrite scene. I was going home to do it yesterday and then life got in the way. On the other hand, I'm feeling pretty good about it, since I know where it's going.

Saw an agent #MSWL tweet for a book very much similar to my project. I'd love to just send the query, but I really don't want to scramble to get the back end done if she actually does like/request...

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Confession time:

I did a little writing yesterday, but it wasn't for the books I should be working on. :hangs head in shame: But this was a story I've really been wanting to write but I've been setting aside because I should be working on the others, so I just jotted down some scenes that really jumped out to me. I wanted to get it down while it was good and I still remembered it, or else it would sound forced later. It was only 300 words or so anyways.

But other than that, I had a long day yesterday and did not do any other writing and instead watched some college football. My team won. :) I plan to take advantage of the long weekend to hopefully make some good strides on the books I should be working on.

Last edited: