What can you do with a short(ish) play?

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished a play that came out to be just over 30 pages. It has about a dozen short scenes. And, I should mention, this is a stage play and a little avant-garde. It is a dream of mine to watch a play I wrote preformed, but I think I have created something with an awkward length. That being said, I think this is some of my best writing. I don't want to give up on it. Because of the length, should I try to add more scenes? Or what can I do with a play this length?

Last edited:

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I'm guessing you can't do much with a play this length since no one responded. I'm just wondering if I should try and make it longer and the best way to do that. I think it would be a powerful performance the way it is now. Do any of you know if some theaters or groups ever put on plays this length? I'm not really looking for places to submit it really. I'm just wondering if there are places that would be interested in something this length. Maybe they put on two shorter plays instead of one longer one? Does that ever happen? There is a local theater group that every year puts on a bunch of short plays, but, for that, the plays have to be 10 minutes or less and there is usually a theme.

randi.lee

Certified Non-Genius
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rlwrites.com
Hi gettingby. Sorry I didn't respond sooner--I'm not on forums much anymore. When I was involved with community theater we engaged in all sorts of shorter plays for one-act performances. I'm sure you can find a community theater, a community college or even a high school drama club that would be interested in your play. Best of luck!

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another possibility is a Fringe Festival, where most acts have to take 30-45 minutes and no more. A short play fits in just fine.

There are theatres that do short play festivals, but it takes either work or money (for memberships at "collection" sites) to identify all the possible markets for a play.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Hi gettingby. Sorry I didn't respond sooner--I'm not on forums much anymore. When I was involved with community theater we engaged in all sorts of shorter plays for one-act performances. I'm sure you can find a community theater, a community college or even a high school drama club that would be interested in your play. Best of luck!

Thanks. Those are some great options. I would be happy with any of them. I think my play might be too controversial for high school, but, at the same time, it would work for the age of the actors. I was thinking about high school when I wrote it, but it does have curse words and heavy subject matter. I don't want to water it down. I hadn't thought of college. That might work. I am getting my MFA right now. Maybe I can talk to someone at my university in the theater department. I'm not really connected to the local theater scene. I enjoy going to plays, but that's about it. And I can't say I've seen a play this length. Anyway, thanks again for the suggestions. I will look into them.

Last edited:

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Another possibility is a Fringe Festival, where most acts have to take 30-45 minutes and no more. A short play fits in just fine.

There are theatres that do short play festivals, but it takes either work or money (for memberships at "collection" sites) to identify all the possible markets for a play.

What is a Fringe Festival? I will have to google that. But that sounds like it could be a good fit in terms of length. I would love to go see some plays this length to get a better idea of how my own play might translate to the stage. But it's really good to know there are options for a shorter play. Thanks.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Maryn that a Fringe company might be the best home for your piece. If you haven't found it already, this Fringe Festival directory might be helpful.

I'd suggest you find a festival near you, then do some research into theatres which have participated. Find one whose mission/style seems to align with your work, and drop them an email.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(The best short play I've ever seen was in the Minneapolis Fringe Festival. Titled "Corleone," it retold "The Godfather" in iambic pentameter, and it was totally awesome!)

M.N Thorne

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I would take my short play to a fringe festival. Or checkout community theaters in my local area looking for short plays.

Bloo

Roofied by Rylan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emergencyroomproductions.net
Hi I haven't been on the forums in forever, but let me give you some advice from a published/produced playwright.

a) A page does not always = 1 minute. That's a general rule in film scripts but the nature of theater is different. A page could be 45 seconds or it could be 1.5 minutes or longer. It all depends on what is going on in that page of script, how much is dialog, how much is action, etc. What I would suggest is contacting a local college, see if they have a theater club, invite them over for food, drinks, etc and actually do a reading of the script with a timer so you can get a feel for how long the script is actually.

b) Start looking for contests to submit to. Many theaters do hold contests or submission opportunities for long plays, short plays, 10 minute plays, one minute plays etc. I am part of a group that calls itself "The Offical Playwrights of Facebook" on Facebook and every month the main moderator makes a list of every contest or opportunity that expires that month. There is a similar group (with a lot of the same members) on Yahoo! called "The Playwright Binge".

c) Join the Dramatists Guild of America. You don't need to be published or produced, as long as you have written a play. It costs approximately $100/year. It's worth it. They will help you with any legal help you may incur (including helping with contracts) and they will fight for your rights as a playwright.

Hope this helps

noirdood

Registered
Reaction score
I wrote an eight minute play that was used as a part of a matsuri (festival). Since it was performed using a professional Actors Equity cast I was entitled to become a member of the Dramatists Guild. You don't say where you are. If you can and have not already done so, I suggest you join a playwriting workshop or a small professional theater. I belonged to two playwriting workshops in Los Angeles and another in Tucson, AZ.

DavidZahir

Malkavian Primogen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
undeadwhispers.yuku.com
Honestly, go on Facebook and join the Official Playwrights Group. Every month they list dozens and dozens of play competitions as well as theatre companies looking for new scripts--and the vast majority call for plays under thirty minutes in length. Many want plays no longer than ten minutes. Really.