What writers, if any, have made you laugh?

Mary Mitchell

Go down road, go pub.
Registered
Reaction score
Andy Weir, of course.

Stephen King and Nelson DeMille.

But Tim Cockey has a series of mysteries whose MC, Hitchcock Sewell, runs a funeral parlour with his aunt. Most of the titles include the word "Hearse" (The Hearse You Came In On, Hearse of a Different Color...). He now writes in a more serious vein as Richard Hawke, but his Hearse series killed me.

EmilyEmily

Registered
Reaction score
I remember laughing out loud so many times while reading James Herriot's novels in middle school: the man was brilliant, and some of his character description is hilarious. I recently went back to look at those novels again, and was pleased to see that his writing is still something I consider really good (unlike other beloved novels from my early years I've revisited).

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
John Kennedy Toole's "A Confederacy of Dunces" was a laugh riot. Incredibly funny!

GypsyLayla

Night Owl
Registered
Reaction score
Terry Patchett. No one can match him, may he rest in peace.

I seek out humor.

In romance/Women's Fiction:
Julia Quinn
Jennifer Crusie
Sally Thorne (Hating Game had me in stitches)
Sophie Kinsella
Shelley Laurentson (aka G A Aiken)

Urban Fantasy:
Ilona Andrews
Charley Davidson
Seanan Mcguire

Mystery:
Janet Evanovich

GypsyLayla

Night Owl
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Jasper Fforde: His Thursday Next books are a kick. Comic alternate reality thrillers.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Oh, I enjoy the Jasper Forde as well. I also enjoyed the Enchanted Forest Chronicles (too lazy to look up author).

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
I rarely read funny books, so it doesn't happen often. But the ones that get me rolling are Piers Anthony, Janet Evanovich, Terry Pratchett, Jim Butcher, and Sophie Kinsella. Two new authors (to me) that have recently made me laugh out loud were Andy Weir and John Scalzi.

remister

Registered
Reaction score
The part I laughed the loudest at for a book was The Art of Racing in the Rain...the part where the dog compared a human being pregnant to it having worms in his belly.

Caulder Melhaire

Clockwork Nightingale
Registered
Reaction score
I just an hour ago finished reading Good Omens, by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, and I have to say it might be the funniest I've ever read. The footnotes on their own are golden, and then about halfway through... actually almost exactly halfway through, I literally laughed out loud because "it" was so unexpected.

I've also just started Pratchett's The Color of Magic and it's on a similar path.

Other than that, I'll say Jim Butcher, with his Dresden Files, on occasion have made me chuckle.

Last edited:

tharris

Registered
Reaction score
I usually can't stand funny books. Don't know why--I love comedy in television and movies.

But, Miranda July makes me laugh out loud. Its probably because the humor comes from sadness. Her latest novel, The First Bad Man, is simultaneously gut-wrenching, awkward, and hilarious.

Transformersfan123

Registered
Reaction score
I laugh quite easily, so I don't have any specific authors. But the absolute best feeling is finding a funny part you had no idea was coming up that makes you laugh out loud. I've gotten a lot of stares over the years.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished George Saunders' Lincoln in the Bardo and laughed almost all the way through. Sometimes it was because it was all so awful, but I thought it was a very funny book.