Where do you start?

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
Not with submitting. I have the 2015 Novel and Short Story Writer's Market waiting for that. I have Horror Tree perpetually open for finding markets for specfic shorts. What I don't know is what to start with for the writing. Do I start with a short thing I can probably get done in a day? With the 10k long-short-story-slash-novella I have two places I want to submit to? With one of my old pieces that I can probably strip down, restain (I watch too many design shows), and make into a publishable piece?

I have very little experience writing short stories, but more ideas than anyone could possibly write in a lifetime (unless we're talking, like, drabbles for each). I just don't know where to start.

DetectiveFork

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not an expert by any means, but I find what works for me is to just sit down, start writing and see where it takes me. Sometimes I start with the plan to write a flash fic and it quickly grows into a full short story. Sometimes I just start random stories based on images in my head; some go somewhere, some lose my interest. Do whatever works for you, but I agree you should let whatever excites your creativity at that moment lead the way.