Second Chance books

jlmott

Hello, I must be going
Registered
Reaction score
Earlier this year I picked up an old copy of Melville's Moby Dick that had been sitting on the shelf collecting dust and decided to give it another shot. I had first read it in college. Correction: I was assigned to read it in college, which I did very indifferently, finding the book at the time meadering and boring and who decides what makes a classic anyway?

So expectations were low, but once I started reading it this year, I couldn't put it down. It was amazing, right from the very first paragraph:

Call me Ishmael. Some years ago--never mind how long precisely --having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen, and regulating the circulation. Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off--then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can.

So despite the occasional archaic language and nearly half of the book devoted to whale lore (which I loved), I'd had a complete turn around in my view of the book. And I plan to re-read it again when I get the chance.

So my question is, have you ever re-read a book that you either dismissed or hated years before but now discover something wonderful that, for whatever reason, seemed to have eluded you at first?

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Several times.

When I was much younger, I read and loved the Hobbit. Eager for more, I trundled off the the library, found a copy of the Fellowship of the Ring. And returned it a few days later with no more than a few pages read. Just could not get into it. I didn't try again until the first movie hit theaters. I don't remember why I saw it after being "meh" at the books, but after that first one, I NEEDED to read them. And I did. All three. I may detest what he did to the Hobbit, but I'm grateful to Peter Jackson for bringing me back to the LotR.

More recently, my then-boyfriend now-husband bought me a copy of Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett with the promise that I would love it and had to read it. Was not impressed. Couldn't follow it, couldn't get into it. But Mr. Maxwell and his family were all big fans, so I was surrounded by more Pratchett. Monstrous Regiment and Small Gods on the shelves, Thud on the nightstand, new books handed over as they came out... I couldn't escape the man's works. No one pressured me to read them, but they were just there, engulfing me. Tempting me. Eventually I gave in to their siren call and tried another one, one of the newer ones. And I was hooked. Once I'd read a few others, I went back to Guards! Guards! and wondered what was wrong with me that first reading. It's gotten three eager rereads since then, and probably more in the future because I just love this series so freaking much.

jlmott

Hello, I must be going
Registered
Reaction score
Several times.

When I was much younger, I read and loved the Hobbit. Eager for more, I trundled off the the library, found a copy of the Fellowship of the Ring. And returned it a few days later with no more than a few pages read. Just could not get into it. I didn't try again until the first movie hit theaters. I don't remember why I saw it after being "meh" at the books, but after that first one, I NEEDED to read them. And I did. All three. I may detest what he did to the Hobbit, but I'm grateful to Peter Jackson for bringing me back to the LotR.

More recently, my then-boyfriend now-husband bought me a copy of Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett with the promise that I would love it and had to read it. Was not impressed. Couldn't follow it, couldn't get into it. But Mr. Maxwell and his family were all big fans, so I was surrounded by more Pratchett. Monstrous Regiment and Small Gods on the shelves, Thud on the nightstand, new books handed over as they came out... I couldn't escape the man's works. No one pressured me to read them, but they were just there, engulfing me. Tempting me. Eventually I gave in to their siren call and tried another one, one of the newer ones. And I was hooked. Once I'd read a few others, I went back to Guards! Guards! and wondered what was wrong with me that first reading. It's gotten three eager rereads since then, and probably more in the future because I just love this series so freaking much.

I had the same experience when I tried to read LOTR oh so many years ago. I finished it, but found a lot of it very dull going. Terry Pratchett, on the other hand, I took an immediate shine to. Can't think of anyone that I just enjoy reading more than him. Glad to hear that you've come to love the man and his work. I was so saddened to hear of his premature passing this year. There are still many of his books I have yet to read, but it's awful to think that one day I will finish reading all of them and have no new ones to look forward to. Then again, I can just start reading them all over again, can't I :)?

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I had the same experience when I tried to read LOTR oh so many years ago. I finished it, but found a lot of it very dull going. Terry Pratchett, on the other hand, I took an immediate shine to. Can't think of anyone that I just enjoy reading more than him. Glad to hear that you've come to love the man and his work. I was so saddened to hear of his premature passing this year. There are still many of his books I have yet to read, but it's awful to think that one day I will finish reading all of them and have no new ones to look forward to. Then again, I can just start reading them all over again, can't I :)?

You've got a heck of a road ahead of you. I've read all but three of them. :D The last one just came out in the UK, coming out in the US on the 1st I think. I've been working up to it by reading all of them in order. *is only mildly insane. And halfway done.* Luckily they're just as good for a second, third, or fourth read as the first one. :)

griffins

Registered
Reaction score
Gosh, I suspect a lot of the stuff I read in high school are now second-chance books. I feel sorry for the teachers who had to teach the sixteen year-old me Toni Morrison's "Beloved."
A friend of mine just started re-reading "Lolita," and loves it the second time around. She's like, "I never realized Nabakov was so funny." I wasn't subjected to "Lolita" as a teen, but I hated "Pale Fire" the first time I read it. My teenage self did not find Nabakov funny in the least. Back then, I was reading for school and plot and, well, as I understand now, that's kind of missing the finer points of Nabakov.

Some years ago, I found a copy of "Veronica" by Mary Gaitskill. Skimmed the book, found it utterly unreadable. This was like, 2003. Years later, I found "Veronica" again, but this time I realized I could keep up with it. The passages are actually quite gorgeous. The story is still weird, though. I think a lot of the really great books we have to age into.