Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

AJMarks

Banned
Reaction score
Just curious about how many have actually heard of the toxic spill in Colorado by the EPA.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i heard about it by pressing my ear to a sea shell, after which my toe promptly fell off.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I seen several reports on the news.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
heard it on npr, but that's the only place I've seen anything

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The EPA is already trying to limit their liability:

...the Navajo Nation’s president and vice president are telling people to not sign EPA compensation forms for damage and injury caused by the spill. From KOB-TV in Albuquerque:
The EPA says that although they have six months to resolve a claim, it “will make every effort” to respond to claims for this particular incident “as soon as possible.”
But Wednesday, Navajo President Russell Begaye sent a directive to cease any promotion of the form, saying it contains “offending language that will waive future claims for individuals that sign the form and preclude [Navajos] from seeking full compensation for injuries suffered from the spill.”

A disclaimer near the bottom of the first page of the form says: “I certify that the amount of claim covers only damages and injuries caused by the incident above and agree to accept said amount in full satisfaction and final settlement of this claim.”
The Navajo Nation directive says that if people sign the form, they forfeit any further compensation for damages suffered beyond the date it is signed, leaving the possibility that people affected years down the road will not receive any further compensation.

AJMarks

Banned
Reaction score
A couple of days ago I went through several news sites, NY Times, CNN, FOX News, MSNBC, NBC News, Huffington Post, and Breitbart, only MSNBC and Breitbart had anything on their front page, and you still had to scroll down to see it. Doesn't mean its not on those sites, just buried way deeper than I was willing to go using only a few minutes on each page. I was doing this after about half of my friends hadn't heard of the spill. So I decided to see if I could poll a larger audience.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sure. It looks like the yellow brick road now. Sucks. What about it? It's the trade off for our consumertastic lifestyles. Eventually the world will be an unlivable wasteland, but we'll really nifty TV's...

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A couple of days ago I went through several news sites, NY Times, CNN, FOX News, MSNBC, NBC News, Huffington Post, and Breitbart, only MSNBC and Breitbart had anything on their front page, and you still had to scroll down to see it. Doesn't mean its not on those sites, just buried way deeper than I was willing to go using only a few minutes on each page. I was doing this after about half of my friends hadn't heard of the spill. So I decided to see if I could poll a larger audience.

Interesting and not surprising. Google news has it for me on the headlines page but that may be in part because of my clicking history as I tend to notice this kind of story and open such links.

But yeah, we don't want anyone becoming irrationally upset about a little 3 million gallon toxic spill.

The EPA is halting all spent mine cleanup operations in the wake of this, I guess they are going to try to figure out how to do a better job.

One article, which I haven't seen since last night, forget where it was, listed the various heavy metals contaminating three rivers as a result of this spill. Lead, mercury, zinc are three I remember off the top.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's really prominent here. Was the front page of the AZ Republic Tuesday. While I grant you that these abandoned mines have been leaking stuff for decades, they need to figure out a better way of cleaning them up. One thing I haven't seen mentioned (and I may have just missed it) is why they were poking around a toxic site with a (looked like) front end loader.

MM

Prozyan

Are you one, Herbert?
Registered
Reaction score
3 million gallon toxic spill.

Numbers are fun.

3: Million gallons (at least) of toxic spill released into a river.

12,000: That's how many times above normal lead was detected in a recent water sample from the Animas River.

90: The most scary number. How many days of water reserves nearby communities have before they either run out of water or have to draw supply from the river.

The good news is, the EPA says the river will restore itself!

Nice to know you don't really have to worry about toxic spills, they clean up after themselves.

Last edited:

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
I hadn't seen anything on it pass by from any mainstream news, but some of my conspiracy theorist friends have posted articles to Facebook about how the EPA planned to release the toxic water and that kind of stuff.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It's been all over. I know it was on CNN's front page because that's where I first saw it - it was the top story, with the side-by-side pics, I think the day it happened. It was on my local news as well, and I'm across the country.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It may be that some people haven't heard about this because some people just don't look there, meaning, they stay focused on their own track and avoid disaster news.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I hadn't seen anything on it pass by from any mainstream news, but some of my conspiracy theorist friends have posted articles to Facebook about how the EPA planned to release the toxic water and that kind of stuff.
Ohhhh, the scary "conspiracy theory" codeword. Nothing to see here, folks, just some crazies. Move on.

Let's not dismiss it so lightly, shall we?

Dave Taylor, a professional geologist with 47 years experience, had a letter to the editor printed in the Silverton Standard on July 30 that predicted exactly this event as a result of the EPA's plan, and theorized that it would be an intentional act on the EPA's part to generate support for "SuperFunding" the Gold King Mine area, which they've been trying to do against public opposition for 25 years.
The proposed Red & Bonita plugging plan has been their way of getting a foot in the door to justify their hidden agenda for a treatment plant.
We'll have to see if they get the status and money they want to see if there's any credence to his theory.

Or we can just dismiss his amazing prescience as the ramblings of another loony conspiracy theorist, and assume that the relatively light coverage given to the story is just because there's so much more important stuff going on.

Last edited:

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I grew up in the Animas Valley, and I can vouch there's been a vicious decades-long battle to keep dams and developers from destroying one of the last free-running rivers in the West. Cynical locals' take is that the EPA took bribes from developers, and not just to Super-Fund the Gold King site. We're waiting to hear: 'Well, now that it's polluted, can we build the dam finally?'

' Watershed Lament' is a wall hanging I made, partially inspired by a college trip tracing the Animas from its headwaters down to its confluence with the San Juan River.

Last edited:

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know what the rest of you are watching, but I've seen quite a bit of coverage on multiple sources, TV, print, and internet. NBC Nightly News has covered it on multiple nights.

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
It's in the news here in Arizona.

Then again, it's heading towards the Grand Canyon.

Status
Not open for further replies.