My Blog is My Baby (a rant)

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
Sure, I have a blog.

Mine's different. It is deliberately weird.

I blog about taboo topics and make dark jokes. Cannibalism, necrophilia, and poop. Lots and lots of poop jokes.

Like most people on AW, I have a day job. It's horrible. My company has done terrible things and as a result, they can't hire decent employees. It's so bad, my company might close the site where I work, because we just can't find people who will show up and work. It's a call center and nobody wants to do that kind of work anyways.

Today the Corporate HR Director was in town to investigate what was going on and if anything could be done. He shook my hand and when another manager mentioned my blog, he said he wanted me to use my blog to help with the company's reputation in the community.

I laughed it off at first.

Now I'm really pissed off and offended.

My blog is my baby. I have fans. I sold out of bumper stickers in just a few days. I need to order more. People are waiting for me to come out with t-shirts. I'm working on a video to help me with a crowdfunding campaign to buy a van. Dozens of folks volunteered to be in that video to help me out because they're fans.

My blog is not for propaganda. I'm not the CEO who shit the bed here. I'm not the one who royally screwed up a good company and drove it into the dirt. It's not my fault everybody knows what kind of horrible things they've done to employees and how the only people who apply are the desperate, the disabled, the felons, the addicts, pregnant woman, and anybody else who can't get hired for a regular job.

It's the last stop before homelessness. And the whole community for 30 miles knows this.

And this corporate jerk wants me to use my blog to spew crap so people forget the reality of it?

I might only get about 1200 hits a month, but they're good hits. I have fans. And they'd lose all respect for me if I did that. Worse, I'd lose them as fans.

Am I wrong to be so pissed off about this? Or should I just brush it off as just another insensitive corporate jerk blowing smoke?

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
[SUB][/SUB]If you don't work on it at work, they cannot tell you what to do with it.

#%^* him.

ETA: If, by chance, he persists, you might well suggest that perhaps your blog, weird as it is, is perhaps not the most appropriate vehicle for company PR, and politely suggest that other places might be better.

Because, having read your blog, if I were a company, I think I'd want to distance myself from it.

:D

Last edited:

butterflycollective

Registered
Reaction score
Website
rivercitycopwatch.blogspot.com
If it's in your free time, it's your blog not your boss's. Though sometimes when there's questionable deeds that are exposed about an entity, the heads of that entity will try to reach out to try to soften your content. If you're writing about problems and someone talks about using it to improve image, that's co-opting b/c the person doing it associated with the company obviously knows by reading it, what is being posted.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Ted, why not tell them you'd be happy to blog for them, but your blog isn't the right venue. Tell them they need a better, more professional blog and tell them you know just how to go about it. I'm thinking a quarter a word would work. You're a salesman. Sell them on the whole social media thing. I mean, you could do Facebook, LinkedIn, whatever too. One thousand word article a week is something you could do. I expect the money would come in handy. And what about customer newsletters? This could work for you.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Ted, why not tell them you'd be happy to blog for them, but your blog isn't the right venue. Tell them they need a better, more professional blog and tell them you know just how to go about it. I'm thinking a quarter a word would work. You're a salesman. Sell them on the whole social media thing. I mean, you could do Facebook, LinkedIn, whatever too. One thousand word article a week is something you could do. I expect the money would come in handy. And what about customer newsletters? This could work for you.

I was thinking the same thing.

If they saw your real blog, I'm guessing they would agree it's not the right venue. But you've got the skills and experience to do one for them, if you're up for it -- and if they'll pay you appropriately.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing.

If they saw your real blog, I'm guessing they would agree it's not the right venue. But you've got the skills and experience to do one for them, if you're up for it -- and if they'll pay you appropriately.

Exactly. And if they don't want to pay for it, they'll leave you the hell alone. Win win, Ted.

Jwriter

Going places
Registered
Reaction score
It's desperation, pure and simple. I worked at a newspaper for a long time, and toward the end of my tenure they were telling us to do the same thing. I resisted, for not nearly as valid reasons as you have. Sounds like the boss's pathetic attempt to use you to clean up the mess there died a natural death. I don't blame you a bit for being angry, though. Totally justified.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
He read my blog. He's avoiding me now.

I tried to talk to him again today. He really worked at avoiding me.

I love your ideas. I'd do it. But...yeah, he's avoiding me. I think the problem was solved.

What an idiot he is! Sorry, forgot, he's in H-R, so... par for the course. Who hears 'employee with a blog' and automatically thinks 'Hey, he can blog about us, and make everything better' without reading the blog first?

You could be one of the people saying bad things about the company, or some sort of provocateur, encouraging others to complain or discouraging others from applying. You could have some totally inappropriate blog that would horrify the customers, or bring in 'the wrong kind'. You could be a not-very-good blogger with an insignificant site that your manager was just talking up. But, noooo, he's putting ideas in your head. What if you weren't angered by his suggestion (totally appropriately, to my mind)? What if, before he had a chance to see your blog, you jumped at the idea and started blogging about your employer?
Now he's avoiding you as hard as he can. Pity, though, you could have done them a very nice blog of their own. Although, cash-in-advance would probably be the way to go.

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
What an idiot he is! Sorry, forgot, he's in H-R, so... par for the course. Who hears 'employee with a blog' and automatically thinks 'Hey, he can blog about us, and make everything better' without reading the blog first?

You could be one of the people saying bad things about the company, or some sort of provocateur, encouraging others to complain or discouraging others from applying. You could have some totally inappropriate blog that would horrify the customers, or bring in 'the wrong kind'. You could be a not-very-good blogger with an insignificant site that your manager was just talking up. But, noooo, he's putting ideas in your head. What if you weren't angered by his suggestion (totally appropriately, to my mind)? What if, before he had a chance to see your blog, you jumped at the idea and started blogging about your employer?
Now he's avoiding you as hard as he can. Pity, though, you could have done them a very nice blog of their own. Although, cash-in-advance would probably be the way to go.

I am completely down with the idea of giving them a blog of their own. They'd have to pay me, of course. That thought alone brings up new questions.

I certainly wouldn't do it for free.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I like what others have said - offer to write a blog for the company, for a fee. You obviously know how to build a following - if they're smart, they'll use your smarts. :)

Now off to read your blog.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Ted--a quarter a word. Fifty cents. Make them make you want to make them look good. Outside of your own blog, of course. Maybe you could waste an hour working up a pseudo blog post to show them what you can do. It probably won't get you anywhere, but it's a thought. You know, kind of a here's what I can do for you sort of thing. I'd be happy to give it a look before you sent it off. I'm sure I'm not the only one offering to look at it and give feedback.

eta: two separate jobs. The one you're doing now and the freelance one you're doing for the writing crap. One is on payroll and the other you bill them.

Last edited: