• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Tiny House Publishing

CathieArms

Registered
Reaction score
I do believe you are amazing. So, here's an update:

Yes, Sara Cremeno is Sara Carbonneau. In a followup e-mail, I asked her what the relationship was between the two Sara's and she was forthright and honest. I don't believe she, Emma or the publishing house has ANY intent whatsoever to deceive.

Sara and I exchanged e-mails last night. She's truly lovely. In the end, this relationship wouldn't have worked out and it was best that we parted now, which is how our discussions ended. She wanted pieces of my manuscript revised on the basis of her belief that they weren't "realistic," when -- in fact -- those pieces were based upon actual events exactly as they happened. I was unable to compromise on those points for that reason, and she couldn't publish a book she couldn't stand behind 110%.

It's probably best that she walked away, rather than making me either make a decision or walk away. I liked Sara enough through e-mail conversations that I was *almost* willing to overlook the red flags and take a gamble on her/them.

So my summary? I'd like to watch them for a while and see what happens in the next couple of years. Sara said she has several authors lined up that they're working with currently, but whose books haven't been released. I think her heart is in the right place and *sometimes* that translates well to the business. So, while it's not a good fit for me right now, I'll keep an eye on them in the next couple of years. I'll be interested to see how they do. I did find Sara to be very likable and seemingly honest. That's not enough to take a huge leap of faith professionally, but it did make me walk away hoping that she finds success.

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
At the risk of a de-rail, Cathie, I just wanted to say that simply because events have 100% actually happened in real life doesn't mean that they will succeed as seeming realistic in a novel. Seeming is the key word, because novels are constructions, and sometimes things that have absolute basis in reality will come off as contrived and fake when put into a novel.

That aside, I think you've made a good choice here, and best of luck in your search to find a home for this novel.

CathieArms

Registered
Reaction score
The biggest issue had to do with a character who attempted suicide. She had an issue with the friends being allowed back to the ICU and said that would never happen in real life. In fact it did on two different occasions (different patients) and at the hospital that's depicted in the book. It was not only important to the story, but also it really did happen.

The other piece had to do with a precocious 6 year old. Long story short, they felt she needed to be "dumbed down" because they didn't feel that 6 year olds were that... ? ... not sure what word I want to use. In fact, the character was based upon actual 6 year olds.

So...just a difference of opinion. Not saying she was "wrong," just that I felt that to make those changes would be selling out for a book contract and I just couldn't do it...even if it means it never gets published.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I echo Filigree. That happens a lot. I wish Tiny House every success, since they seem to be nice people, and wish you success in placing that novel as well.

CathieArms

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much! I'm not too worried about it. It'll either get snatched up or it won't. It was something I "needed" to write. It's out with about a half dozen agents and another two or three publishing houses. We'll see where this leads. Maybe nowhere, or maybe somewhere pretty great. I'll keep you posted. :)

Thornbird

Registered
Reaction score
Having been sadly let down by a publisher, I am very cautious now. I did look at this web site and the first thing I noticed was their lack of books on display. They have to be very new, surely? Also they do give you chance to write to them first. So go ahead ask questions. The other thing was I don't know where they are based, do you? I did feel evasion in the text, and would like to know more. Maybe I will ask them. I have to say that I like my publishing house to be well established and proven to work before submitting.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They're in New Hampshire.

Thornbird

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Maryn, not sure I want to deal with US publisher, but it's interesting to see all your posts above, they are very informative. All good stuff.

Thornbird

Registered
Reaction score
For your information this is a US based company, they are fairly new and wishing to build their author list. They are not a vanity publisher. I have been informed of this information today via e-mail. They were keen to answer my questions and came back with an answer within a couple of hours. At the moment I see no reason why you cannot write and ask questions or submit and see what you come out with. If you don't like it you can always decline. Never rush into a publishing contract for the sake of being published for the first time. There are other fish in the sea to con a cliche (sorry) but it is your decision as it will be mine too. The contract you sign must be right for you and you should know what to beware of in this industry. Those of you who replied above, I feel you did the right thing by researching your options.

Hope this post is helpful.

PS Never be afraid to ask questions. Publishers went to the bathroom this morning, did their ablutions- like you did, and they are human. Dont treat publishers like gods. They are real people and very often they can be very helpful if you are prepared to ask.

Last edited:

ralphie1026

Registered
Reaction score
I received a full request as well. I'm still waiting to hear but am a little nervous after reading this thread. I checked out Sara's Twitter account and she's been participating in a couple agent contests. If you're part owner of a publishing company, it's weird, right? It almost seems like a lack of confidence in your own company to successfully publish your manuscript. Or maybe I'm reading too much into it...? Thoughts?

Their website isn't updated regarding books either. Their coming soon novels are listed below the author bios but not in the "our books" tab. One of them also claims a 2016 release (with no cover) but actually released Dec. 7, 2015. It doesn't list the authors for any of the coming soon novels either, so I'm assuming it's one of them. Doesn't seem like a good marketing strategy to keep it all hush hush.

Cassie Knight

Romance with Kick-Assitude!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cassielknight.net
Hmm. I'm with you. My eyebrow raised when you said she was seeking an agent when she has her own publishing company. I'm not sure I've ever heard of that. I'd have to wonder the same as you--if you wouldn't trust your own work to a publishing company you've formed, why should we?

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
I don't know. If I was editing a literary magazine, I wouldn't publish my own stories in there. Not because I didn't believe in my work, but because I wouldn't want to give my work an automatic pass AND because the goal of the magazine isn't to publish my own work.

I feel the same about a publishing company. My agent has an agent for her novel and she's the agent of another agent's novel (different agents, just to be clear). If a publisher is publishing their own novel--as has been suggested many times in Bewares--then there'd be suspicion that they'd be paying more attention to their novel--in terms of cover costs, editing, marketing, everything--then they'd be paying to other novels. Basically, this woman is running her company like a trade publisher (at least in this particular instance). Why should we hold that against her?

By the way, I know nothing about this company, and they may be a bad (or good) choice for many reasons. I simply don't believe "not publishing her own novel with her publishing company" is one of those reasons.

ralphie1026

Registered
Reaction score
That's partially why I thought maybe I'm reading too much into it. All of the books they have out are their own but maybe it's was to get themselves started as a company. Not writing them off at all, but do have some questions if they like my MS. :)

CathieArms

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. I'm with you. My eyebrow raised when you said she was seeking an agent when she has her own publishing company. I'm not sure I've ever heard of that. I'd have to wonder the same as you--if you wouldn't trust your own work to a publishing company you've formed, why should we?

I have to agree...that's a little "different." If you believe in your publishing house, why would you want to worry about an agent and a bigger house? With that said, the woman (now I've forgotten who it was, but I think it was Sara) I dealt with was very nice and I wish her the greatest of success.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
No sign yet of publishing anyone but themselves.

Re: seeking outside publication -- since they purport to specialize in children's/YA, if her new book isn't that, it'd behoove her to find a more suitable publisher.

As for the larger issue of owners/staff self-publishing while also publishing others ... as mentioned above, it's the risk for conflict of interest; not the least in allocation of resources.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Site's gone; still publishing themselves.