Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
So, for those of you that don't know, this is an indie horror game where you play the part of a security guard working the graveyard shift at a Chuck E. Cheese-like Pizzeria. The only thing is, the animatronics activate during the night and wander the building and if they see you, you're pretty much dead. All you can do is sit in the guard's room, and watch the cameras as they make their way through the building and close the doors when they get close and hope they wander off again.

There are actually four games in the series at this point. Each one tells a little bit more about the stories behind the building, the animatronics, and why they seem to have a taste for security guards. Hints and secrets abound, telling little bits and pieces here and there.

It is honestly one of the most intense game series I've ever played, and it's enhanced by the fact that it really focuses on paying attention, just like those video jumpscares that get passed around every so often that tell you to focus on a picture for a minute before the image switches and it screams at you. You really have to listen very intently to make progress, especially in nights 4 and 5, which makes it hard to avoid the jumpscares.

Has anyone else here played it?

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
I've been a fan since that first trailer was released on Steam. :) I really love the story (and the way it's told) more than the gameplay itself, but I have to hand it to Scott - he made a truly unique game, and when the imitators started aping it, he changed up the gameplay a little in each sequel.

He also really exemplifies something I think a lot of us writers might someday need. He took a criticism that someone made about one of his games and used it to create a new game. And I suspect that new game has made him pretty rich. :)

Plus, I love that he's something of a rarity in the world, in that when he misses a deadline, he misses it *early.* I wonder if anyone in the world expects that DLC to actually get held until Halloween.

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
I've never played it but there is a LittleBigPlanet user created level based on it, and I've played that. Pretty inventive, I must say.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
Meh. Playing the first couple night of each game is interesting and cause a jump, but they become tedious after that.

After playing the fourth game, the second and third seem to be filler more than anything. The first and fourth are special for sure.

Actually, I found the theories behind the games more involving and creepy. GameTheory have a great set of general theories around the games, but Matpat's most recent video seems to be either flame bait, rushed, or just badly thoughtout.

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
GameTheory have a great set of general theories around the games, but Matpat's most recent video seems to be either flame bait, rushed, or just badly thoughtout.
I think it's the second one. I feel like that video is basically just a dig at Scott's legendary inability to keep a schedule. :) I mean heck, all I do is play the games and I was like "come on, really?" when *both* release dates turned out to be lies.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
I think he just had the games finished, and meant to put them out on some kind of schedule, but then just couldn't contain his own excitement and released them.

I love the twisting storylines and all the theories. I haven't seen the very very very end of FNAF4 (20/20/20/20/20 mode) but I think FNAF4 is pretty much saying the murder of the 4 kids that inhabit the main animatronics wasn't random.

(Spoilers)

My understanding of FNAF4, is that the kids took the younger brother that you play as, tried to scare the bejeezus out of him by holding him up to Golden Freddy and he got bit. (Note, I don't think this is the Bite of '87, because there's no sign of the Toy versions or Mangle, which we do know were there in '87.) I think the purple guy (the murderer) saw the kids do that to the younger brother, and lured them to the back room and killed them out of some twisted idea of justice. So that's the spirits possessing Golden Freddy, Bonnie, Chica, Foxy, and regular Freddy explained. There's still no explanation of what happened to the first kid to be murdered by the purple guy, the one that became the puppet. And there's no explanation at all of why Balloon Boy or Mangle are possessed. (Although, they may just be generally malfunctioning, since neither Balloon Boy or Mangle actually kill you in any of the games.)

And...yeah....that's actually why I started this thread. :p

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
I don't play the games, but I do enjoy watching people play them on YouTube, lol. It's amusing to see the reactions, and I enjoyed the story lore being revealed little by little.

I had heard about this game because the elementary students ai worked with in the past were playying this game at daycare and talking about the games at school. Since the kidw knew I can sort of draw, and they liked my drawing style, they were requesting that I draw the various characters from that game. (Which I did. I ended up scanning and printing out copies because so many kids wanted the drawings to color and to keep.) Foxy, Springtrap, and Mangled were pretty popular, though the kids enjoyed drawings of other characters. Obviously, everyone that wanted a drawing definitely wanted a Golden Freddy/Freddy, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.