Greetings, Hi, Hello! Newbie here!

Carrie Lyn

Registered
Reaction score
Soooo you know that moment when you're writing and cant help but re-read your stuff or, get stuck on a plot hole you didnt realize existed until that very moment, and you're filled with anxiety and doubt like 'What the hell am I thinking?', 'I dont have what it takes to be a writer.'

To be honest, Im not sure if Im the only one who has these moments as I am completely new to actually trying to write a novel. Ive written stories since I was in third grade and have about a billion stories that Ive started and abandoned lying in small nooks and crannies throughout my house but THIS time I. Will. Finish. It!

Thankfully though, during this particular moment, I decided to distract myself by dic*ing around on the internet and taaa daaa I found this place. After stalking the forums for a little while I have joined and am super super excited to meet fellow writers! Nobody I can talk to in real life really gets what writing is like. My husband, for instance, has asked me a few times 'You cant change things half way through a book, just stick with what you thought of originally and make it work!'. Which I respond with, 'Oh sweetie, I say this with the utmost respect and love.... but zip it!'

So an enthusiastic wave hello!! Hope to be "seeing" everyone soon!!

ExiledStar

Baby penguin of DOOM
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mkhajdin.com
:welcome:
I feel like what you described every day. But I keep on working at it anyway.
Welcome to the forums! Glad you're here.

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yes, I know that feeling far too well. So well that I literally posted "I want to read my own writing" in the Goals and Accomplishments forum as a major accomplishment. I've been told it's never as bad as you think it is. I would like to disagree. I have read my own first drafts. They suck. (Except Runaways, which remarkably escaped my subconscious without too much damage.)

But as they say, you can't fix what isn't there. Personally, I recommend not rereading your stuff until you have a draft on the page. Don't. Seriously, don't do it, unless you've forgotten what happened earlier and need to refresh your memory. And if you find a plot hole, write the f*** around it. Don't stop and rip up what you've already written. Chances are there's some good stuff there. I even save my documents under a new name (I'm up to "draft 1.32") every time I go back and take anything out, just so I have every possible version saved.

Good luck, and trust me, we will be here with you in the struggle.

ETA: Sorry for the (censored) language, I'm really tired and really hyper.

Carrie Lyn

Registered
Reaction score
But as they say, you can't fix what isn't there. Personally, I recommend not rereading your stuff until you have a draft on the page. Don't. Seriously, don't do it, unless you've forgotten what happened earlier and need to refresh your memory. And if you find a plot hole, write the f*** around it. Don't stop and rip up what you've already written. Chances are there's some good stuff there. I even save my documents under a new name (I'm up to "draft 1.32") every time I go back and take anything out, just so I have every possible version saved.

Yes! This! I have never intentionally re-read my stuff. Its more like that moment when you stop typing because your trying to think of a good piece of dialogue etc. etc. and my eyes stray up the page to a paragraph I had written previously. D**n you eyeballs!! But I agree and am trying my hardest to just keep chugging and not re read until the whole thing is done. Even then, I will probably open a beer first and congratulate myself on finishing ;)

And writing around plot holes, that is a technique I need to learn! I'm hoping that being on here will help teach me faster than I would figure it out on my own.

Corsairs

Saying it twice for truth
Registered
Reaction score
I hear you, Carrie Lyn, and I know exactly what you mean. You've definitely stumbled on the right place, then. This community is fabulously supportive and motivating. I think you're going to fit right in. :welcome:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
welcome.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
And writing around plot holes, that is a technique I need to learn! I'm hoping that being on here will help teach me faster than I would figure it out on my own.

Here's how you do it: You keep writing and pretend the plot hole doesn't exist. Later during edits you can go back and fix it. For a first draft you just put your blinders on and keep writing. :)

Carrie Lyn

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you everyone, what a warm welcome!!

And JetFueled, blinders yes.. maybe I should tape a piece of paper over the top half of my laptop so I can only see the exact sentence Im typing ;) ha! Train my eyeballs to stay where I tell them too! Seriously though, thanks for the advice. Sometimes, I convince myself that if I have plot holes it means Im just a terrible writer and have no business trying to craft a story. BUT, Ive done better than I ever have before and ignoring that and just continuing to write.

Connecticut Yankee

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Carrie Lyn. May I call you Carrie?

I know what you are saying. I have 7,000 words done on my book, and have probably re-written those 7,000 collectively about 10 times. If I could just straighten out and move in a direction instead, I'd be done. So that is my new goal.

Want to get there together?

Carrie Lyn

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Carrie Lyn. May I call you Carrie?

I know what you are saying. I have 7,000 words done on my book, and have probably re-written those 7,000 collectively about 10 times. If I could just straighten out and move in a direction instead, I'd be done. So that is my new goal.

Want to get there together?

Absolutely! On both counts!

Writers Choice

Registered
Reaction score
WOW! I am on version 8.1 on my manuscript and at some point, I also thought: "Wow!! This really stinks! What the heck was I thinking. I actually thought this was good. I'm not a writer."

They say misery loves company so it's good to know other's think the same way that I do. I started this journey last year and still trucking (is that a cliche?) along. My new favorite (or least favorite) word since writing is cliche - apparently my second draft was littered (another cliche) with it!

jenndoss

Registered
Reaction score
I too, have felt that way. But I do re-read my work. I have to be careful though, because I get stuck in re-reading and revising and forget where I was going when I left off. LOL. I also am working on a book and feel like my writing is sub par often. I am my own worst critic, but I am trying to get past that. Keep plugging away and I do second the "keep going" advice. You can always go back and change/add/delete/revamp anything or everything. When I am typing but I know something probably isn't what I want there, I have started highlighting it so I remember when I start revising to go back there.