My Cat Gave Me Stitches... And Not The Laughing Kind

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
On Tuesday, my cat Ridley ran to the back window to alert me of the fox that travels regularly through our yard. I grabbed my camera and opened the screen door. Ridley slipped through and got outside. He's not an outside cat. My daughter, who lives in Vancouver, would literally disown me if I ever let anything happen to that cat.

So, like an idiot, I made a grab for him. He freaked out and gave me several scratches and puncture wounds on my arms. I called (hollered) out for my husband Mark to come outside to help. Fortunately, he is working from home this week because of the Pan Am Games.

"Get the blanket," I yelled. I didn't want him to get clobbered, too. He threw a blanket on Ridley and put him in the bathroom while I tended to my ... scratches.

It was apparent that I needed stitches on my right hand. Mark took me to Emerg (2 minutes away) and I had my stuff dealt with. Mark was really upset and I kept telling him to calm down and not hate the cat.

I sat in the Fast Track waiting room as the shock wore off and I started to feel dizzy. I leaned back in my chair and tried to concentrate on other things.

The doctor was suitably impressed. One stitch each for 11 punctures on my left arm, and a 3 inch gash on my right hand needed several more stitches. He even took pictures. I'm gonna be an Internet star.

He kinda forgot to freeze one of the punctures, and stitched it. I went, "Ooop!" & he said, "Oh, did I forget one?"

"Yup."

It's been a couple of days. I've been through a gamut of emotions, from fear of my cat, to hurt feelings, to anger, to resignation. I keep replaying the incident over and over in my mind, mentally kicking myself for my stupidity.

If Ridley had caught up with that fox, he would have been toast.

Ridley is an asshole, but I forgive him.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for your war wounds, Chumplet. Did you get a picture of the fox? Ridley just did what cats do. My Dad's cat (which is now mine since Dad passed away) got me really good one time. I was trying to stuff her in the carry bag. But I didn't need stiches, they were all superficial scratches. The funny part is that now I can set the bag on the floor, open the hatch, and she wanders over and in. Not all the way in, about 3/4 of her body. Then I just goose her on the butt and she pops right in.

MM

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
Chumplet, so sorry for your wounds! I think that in their little furry heads, all cats are mighty tiger-level hunters/warriors - your Ripley was heading out to save you and the world from the Evul Fox and you DARED to interfere with his DESTINY! (Also known as saving his life, but cats don't seem to get that distinction.) It's good you forgive him. He's probably prepared to forgive you, too at this point. Or at least at the next meal. :)

Chumplet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Ketzel and MaryMumsy, thanks for your nice words. Yeah, Ridley had no idea what he was doing at the time and I'm really working hard to stop replaying the incident in my head. I'm sure he's forgotten it already. He's snoozing beside me as if his daily routine was never interrupted.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Please don't be afraid of him or 'let' your husband be angry with him - that's a classic case of redirected aggression, which happens when a cat becomes focused on prey or a threatening predator and something else (you, in this instance), gets between the cat and the object of his or her attention or interrupts the cat before he or she can 'reset,' for lack of a better term.

It's like if your kid was a sleepwalker who ate while she sleepwalked (sleptwalked?), and you put your hand on top of the sandwich. She'd munch.

Ridley was all focused on the fox, all in that mode (defense needed, whatever), and you were just the first thing he made contact with. Happens with cats who get all focused on a bird outside a window and someone innocently reaches out to pet the kitty sitting so nicely on the windowsill too. The normally sweet, loving cat goes after the hand like it was the bird because focus and the hand touches them.

In the house it's more avoidable if you know a kitty is more prone to it (former outdoor cats often), because you can see the giant pupils, fixed, trance-like gaze, low tail swishing, etc., that signal possible aggression.

You saved Ridley's fuzzy little life though! I'm sure upon reflection he's grateful and regrets the error. :)

Chumplet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thank you, Cornflake. That makes me feel much better. I know he acted on instinct, and it'll take me a while to get that image of his flattened ears and dilated eyes out of my mind as he latched onto me. He wasn't punished, although I'm having a hard time giving him my usual loving pats in the last couple of days. Maybe we'll have a little powow when the stitches are out.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Cornflake. That makes me feel much better. I know he acted on instinct, and it'll take me a while to get that image of his flattened ears and dilated eyes out of my mind as he latched onto me. He wasn't punished, although I'm having a hard time giving him my usual loving pats in the last couple of days. Maybe we'll have a little powow when the stitches are out.

It's understandable, obviously, that you feel wary or reluctant to be all loving with stitches all up your arm - that sucks (except that you saved him). Also good you didn't punish him; it wouldn't have had the desired effect because he wouldn't connect it to what happened and likely had no real idea he bit you.

He was all 'foxfoxfoxfoxfox...' when you grabbed him. He didn't switch to 'ma! I want the fox!' he was still going 'foxfoxfox' and you touched him and *were* the fox, as it were, 'aaah! FOX!' like you'd be the sandwich.

That trance-like focus is survival; cats are both predators and prey (that's also why they like high perches, so they can see possible food and possible trouble coming). Hunting and evading stuff hunting you takes that ability.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
When animals are frightened or very, very freaked out, they can redirect onto people they care about.

One night I was walking my dogs, and we came around a corner and another person was walking two dogs that started barking and straining at their leashes. It scared the heck out of one of my dogs and he redirected on his buddy and bit the tip off her right ear.

I was pretty mad about this (poor Roxy, the sweet, lovely dog in my avatar pict now has a "tipped" right ear), but I also knew it was one of those things.

I was also bitten on my hand breaking up a squabble between another two dogs I have. Fortunately, it wasn't a full puncture and didn't get infected, but it was still painful. I now own a regatta horn that is handy, just in case those dogs start to fight (it's rare, fortunately, but the noise stops it right away).

I really don't think they know they're doing this at the time. It's a reminder to always be careful handling animals that are hurt, angry, or frightened, even when they're our own pets. The blanket was the right thing to do. Of course, I don't always follow my own advice, because when one of my babies is in danger, I tend to step in to break up the fight or save him or her from whatever situation he or she is in. I've been lucky to never be seriously lacerated like you were.

I think it might take time to regain the trust, but I hope you do. It might help to remember that even adult humans can lash out at loved ones and do crazy, violent things when they're hysterical or overwhelmed with fear. And who hasn't seen a small child so mad that he or she is lashing out, punching and kicking at their parent? Unfortunately, animals are always armed with needles and knives.

Sorry you got so shredded, and I hope you heal quickly.

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry Chumplet. Yikes! Hope you feel better now.

I have scars on my upper chest from rescuing a cat I had as a teenager from a cat fight. He was all wound up when I picked him up and he gouged me good.

One of our current cats jumped up and clawed my leg once. It didn't need stitches but he drew blood. I just happened to walk by when he was fighting with our other cat. They usually only play but apparently not that time. And I was just walking by. Usually he is the sweetest cat I've ever had.

And then our other cat attacked my son once. One of the ceiling fan blades flew off and slammed into something, just a freak thing, and my son happened to be there when the cat freaked out over it.

So, yeah, what Corny said, redirected aggression. I think it's a panic reaction and at the time they don't really know what they're doing.

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
Sorry to hear the furry overlord created such a ... tumultuous situation. Though I have two who would do about the same, given the chance.

And I've lost count of the scars from my cat war wounds.
Shoot, just the other morning, I disturbed the sleeping prince and he chose to attack my foot and leg through my thin blankets on my bed. I have a scratch that runs the top of my foot from ankle to toe, and puncture wounds all up my leg to my knee on both sides.

And that happened at 3:30am. On a Wednesday. *sigh*

auzerais

I like puppies.
Registered
Reaction score
I have been snarled at, scratched up, bitten and otherwise chewed on by my animals. My dog once decided he didn't want me petting him anymore, turned to growl at me, and unintentionally whacked me in the face so hard my glasses flew across the room. (The glasses were fine and so was my face. He's very lucky.) It is difficult not to be angry and upset afterward, even for a couple of days. I'd be surprised if you weren't feeling aloof.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
I've never had to get medical attention yet from His Irate Majesty, although one Christmas he bit my hand and it swelled like a balloon. He let me know it was my fault - come not between the feline and his catnip.

Otherwise, I get bitten/scratched every day. He's a baaaaad cat.

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
Ah, yeah, cats can be twat fungae. And when they panick, god have mercy on the poor brave soul trying to secure them. I've bled, oh have I bled. But these are like stretch marks after pregnancy. You protected your baby and caught a bullet for him!
Much unless what usually happens here, when Chetzi with the "ch" from Achmed, just suddenly bites my finger or the back of my hand so hard he puts a hole in it, sighs, and walks away. Cats are ass hats, and they're insane. This makes them so awesome, and good for you for not being one of those owners who decide the vicious beast must go :hooray:

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Good one, try taking your dog out of a fight or holding him while the vet shoves his finger up his butt.
I have done a. but not b. though I have held my dog(s) while the vet does her thing that doesn't involve butt poking.
I would like a sheltie, please. But wait... maybe the cat will eat it.
A cat willing to eat a fox is capable of trying to eat just about any dog. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't.

Anyhow, heal well. Tell your cat to straighten up or you'll turn him over to a Chiuhey you know. ;)

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Be glad your kitty doesn't have petting aggression. That'll cause a sweet, loving kitty, who is all 'oooh, yes, pets please,' to turn and gnaw the hand that's doling out what it desires, without much warning. They just get overloaded/overstimulated, like a toddler who's just had too much fun and excitement all day and goes ballistic with a meltdown. When a cat gets overstimulated they tip into that wide-pupil, purring-to-breathing, aaaaaaaaah! thing and when they're in that mode, same thing. They don't want to bite the people they love, it's not like they're conscious of it at that moment. When they want to bite you specifically, you know it, heh, and they're not usually trusting with those people. Sleeping next to you, exposing their bellies to you (which isn't an invitation to pet the belly, except from some rare cats, like it is in dogs), giving kitty kisses (looking you in the eye and blinking at you) are all big demonstrations of trust.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry you were scratched so badly, Chumplet, but I'm glad you're healing well.

As everyone else has said kitty was angry with you, just reacting to the situation.

My late Min Pin was half blind and frail but the day I was in the yard, mask, hood and leaf blower, he came charging out with my
Aunt and chomped me in the back of my leg. I screeched and pulled my mask off, that's when he realized who he had bitten. he ran back in the house and hid. I wasn't angry, just in pain. I knew he only saw, big masked thing making loud noises.

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
Be glad your kitty doesn't have petting aggression. That'll cause a sweet, loving kitty, who is all 'oooh, yes, pets please,' to turn and gnaw the hand that's doling out what it desires, without much warning. They just get overloaded/overstimulated, like a toddler who's just had too much fun and excitement all day and goes ballistic with a meltdown. When a cat gets overstimulated they tip into that wide-pupil, purring-to-breathing, aaaaaaaaah! thing and when they're in that mode, same thing. They don't want to bite the people they love, it's not like they're conscious of it at that moment. When they want to bite you specifically, you know it, heh, and they're not usually trusting with those people. Sleeping next to you, exposing their bellies to you (which isn't an invitation to pet the belly, except from some rare cats, like it is in dogs), giving kitty kisses (looking you in the eye and blinking at you) are all big demonstrations of trust.
My aforementioned Chetzi has petting aggression. That ass hat just suddenly says "Mrrew" and bites, hard. He also loves to chew Crocs. While I'm wearing them. Just suddenly I feel a fang going through the rubber and all the way to the bone of my big toe. WTF, Chetzi. WTF.
He also walked up to a then-friend, all neutrally, calmly, nipped her hard in the calf, and walked away. He had been right all along, she was toxic and a horrible person.

Perpetual bitch face.
1907738_320845008091636_7484335492293268707_n_400x225.jpg

Oh you twat waffle.
1551487_260075054168632_1787990014_n_225x400.jpg

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I feel your pain. We just adopted a street cat--poor little thing who was half starved. Turns out she's a biter. She's bit my DH several times now. Bad wounds. It's mostly when she's sleeping and we startle her. I've no doubt it kept her alive in the wild. But until she settles in, she can't sleep in the bed with us. We turn in our sleep and wind up with punctures. :eek: It'll take some time, and I can't be mad at her. As everyone else has said, it's instinct. I won't give up on her, though. She's trying hard to suppress it. But I do flinch when her jaw opens. I have to work on that, but it's hard.