Self Publishers: Book cover design. Where did you get yours done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBVam

Registered
Reaction score
Hi!

I am curious to know where the self publishers on AW obtained some of their book covers.

I am going to be self publishing the first book in my YA series hopefully before the end of this year. I have already gone through two book edits (using two different editors). They gave me great feedback and compliments on my book and the concept of my series by the way YAY!. :) (Sorry, just a bit excited there). But the next step before I do anything else would be to get my cover designed.

A good book cover can capture a readers attention and I so need that, lol

So any advice that can point me in the right direction to a cover designer that won't totally murder my pockets would be much appreciated.

FYI: I was looking into getting a cover designed by CreateSpace but I have this thing about having it done before I go to them to publish my print books. I just want to know that the cover is mine and since I may also publish through Ingram Spark, Nook, etc; I wouldn't want any situation where I can't use the cover on the other sites.....Unless I am just being paranoid.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I think I found something I really like . . .

http://www.selfpubbookcovers.com/

Remember that the cover is copyrighted by the artist, and must be duly credited. Also, if you sell beyond a certain number (250,000 - may you do so with your first effort!) there is typically an additional fee (average $150) for the continued use of the license.

KatieRoman

Registered
Reaction score
I use Skylar Faith's services of http://www.truenotdreams.com/
I've been nothing, but happy with her YA fantasy and urban fantasy covers. She's really easy to work with and is very patient when you ask to have details of the cover changed.
She also does website banners and Facebook banners if you want to use those for marketing.

JalexM

Registered
Reaction score
Damonza is immensely talented.

Yeah he is, the only reason I'm not using him for my next book is because it's a novella and i'm not going to put as much money into it as a full sized novel.

JBVam

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, thank you all so much. I am so excited to start this process.

I would love to keep the price range at $300.00 and under for a paperback/ebook cover (not sure how realistic that is, lol). I am going through the different sites now to do some price comparisons.

I will have more than one book and since it's a series I need to make sure that each cover compliments the other.

Thank you again and I will be sure to keep you posted on who I went with :)

Last edited:

JBVam

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I think I found something I really like . . .

http://www.selfpubbookcovers.com/

Remember that the cover is copyrighted by the artist, and must be duly credited. Also, if you sell beyond a certain number (250,000 - may you do so with your first effort!) there is typically an additional fee (average $150) for the continued use of the license.

I wasn't aware of that. Thank you for that information :)

JBVam

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all so much for your responses and suggestions. I tell you, joining AW is helping me with so much information that I need to self publish. I only regret that I didn't join sooner. LOL

Dhewco

Registered
Reaction score
I will have to use fiverr.com. The covers aren't as nice as some here, but they're not complete crap either. I can't pay 70-90 dollars like some of the selections in this thread.

izanobu

Registered
Reaction score
Website
anniebellet.com
Be really careful with using designers on Fivrr. Some are okay, but many use images they don't have the rights to. I've seen some sad covers with obviously stolen art from people on Fivrr. So make sure you verify that the designer has the rights to the images and fonts used.

Dhewco

Registered
Reaction score
The one that I plan on using is going to buy whatever image I pick from one of the stock places. At least, that's what she says. She's asked me to pick two covers I really like to use as inspiration. I'm not going to repeat my reasons for cheapness, but if you're curious check my 'Self-Publishing Questions' thread. Her portfolio are nice enough covers, so I'm going to give her a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.