Is this short story rejection form?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MothAnkles

Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking yes. My mind is screaming "Of course it is, dolt.", but my heart wants to give my soul the benefit of the doubt. I guess I'm posting this for the first person who wants to crack my dreamy beliefs. Like cutting the first piece of cake or being the first to step in fresh snow. Maybe this whole exercise is cathartic.

"Although we have decided against using "Short story name" we were interested in your work and would be glad to see more of it during our general submissions period, which will open again September 1.

editor in chief
tier-1 lit mag

Last edited:

colder2013

Registered
Reaction score
It looks like a higher tier form letter. Meaning, they are serious that they want to see more work because not everyone receives the high tier form reject even though many people do.

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
VERY FORM. THE FORMIEST OF THE FORM.

A non-form letter would go: We have decided against using <Story Name> because <Character Name's> actions were not realistic enough, and the <action> in <a part of the story> was a lot like something we published last month. (ie: detailed reasons to reject.)

Non form letters will talk about characters by names and their motivations. It is higher tier because they've asked you to submit again, if they didn't like your writing, you'd be politely told that the story is not for them. Hopefully the second round is the trick!

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There used to be a site where people posted and compared their actual rejection letters from different magazines but I can't find it now. Does anyone know the name of that site, if it's still around? That would give a better indication of if what you received is that magazine's standard form rejection or not.

Anyway, in my experience, you really need to know how that particular magazine typically does their rejection letters to know if that is their standard form rejection or a bit of extra interest.

And then, "personal" rejection may or may not mean anything, anyway. Some magazines give everyone the same form letter, regardless of how much they liked the story. Others send personal rejections for each submission. And many others phrase all of their rejection letters in an encouraging, nice way that writers often interpret as having special meaning that is really not there. This may (or may not) include inviting you to submit more stories in the future. And then of course everyone is "invited" to submit more stories in the future anyway, so...

Also, even if your story did make it to the second round, to know if that meant much, you'd have to have some idea what "second round" meant to that publication. It might mean your story was very close and was only passed over because some literary giant sent in a story that knocked yours out of the running. Or just that a volunteer briefly screens submissions and passes them all along to the "second round" if they're not written in crayon or the wrong genre entirely.

Acceptance rates and percentages of "personal rejections" for that magazine on duotrope or submission grinder might give you a bit of context, at least. Then again, when I edited a small litmag, I don't think we gave any personalized rejections, yet a significant percentage reported that they'd received one. I guess they took us writing in the name of their story in the rejection as "personal," I don't know.

Or you could just think in terms of "rejection" or "acceptance" and not bother with it. :p

Last edited:

MothAnkles

Registered
Reaction score
There used to be a site where people posted and compared their actual rejection letters from different magazines but I can't find it now. Does anyone know the name of that site, if it's still around? That would give a better indication of if what you received is that magazine's standard form rejection or not.

If you could think of that site, that would be awesome. I actually posted this thread because I googled the rejection and got nothing. In my experience, the form rejections always show up on google searches (people posting them on duotrope, or comparing them, or talking about them, etc.)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
If that is a form, it's a great one. If it's a standard form from that magazine, it's a truly silly thing for them to be sending out.

William Green

Registered
Reaction score

MothAnkles

Registered
Reaction score
So, I probably broke protocol, but I reached out and asked the managing editor (whom I follow on Twitter) because it bugged me; probably because this is my *dream* publication.

Response for those who were curious

Yes and no. It is a form rejection, but it's a second-tier form rejection, about the closest we ever come to a personal, so if it makes more sense to mark it that way, it wouldn't be disingenuous.

It's a rarely used response when our editors were genuinely interested but, for example, couldn't come to a consensus or something similar.

I do hope you will send more work in the fall! Like I said, we don't say that lightly.

Last edited:

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Aww, that's sweet. :)

Congratulations on the interest!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
That's about what I figured. No sane editor sends a rejection like that to every writer, else he'd be deluged with lousy stories. When an editor sends out something like this, he means it.

MothAnkles

Registered
Reaction score
That's about what I figured. No sane editor sends a rejection like that to every writer, else he'd be deluged with lousy stories. When an editor sends out something like this, he means it.

So.....my story was *almost* good enough for a tier 1 literary journal. #confidencemeterjustbrokefrommassivemovement

donalH

Registered
Reaction score
Well done MothAnkles. Don't mean to rain on your parade but possibly walk beside you on your parade. I got the same letter last week (word for word) and I must say I found this thread hugely encouraging. Well done.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, if there's two of you, then we have enough to hold the banner for the parade, yes?

MothAnkles

Registered
Reaction score
Well done MothAnkles. Don't mean to rain on your parade but possibly walk beside you on your parade. I got the same letter last week (word for word) and I must say I found this thread hugely encouraging. Well done.

Guess what, brother. In one week you will place your story. Right? Because you are exactly a week behind?

thats right! The story that is the subject of this thread is forthcoming in an MFA-associated literary journal fall 2015! These guys we got our rejections from have a discerning eye ;)

donalH

Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately it was the best thing I had written in years - and it's still not good enough !! Will you do something fresh or make your last submission better?

HoosierJoe

Registered
Reaction score
I have had a reject like that one. I sent another story another time and got another rejection, this time with a little critique and the editor did remember my previous years submission and said keep submitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.