• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Character names as chapter titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
In the thing I'm writing currently, I'm using a system where each chapter has the name of the pov character next to it. (Like 1. Nyan, 2. Pusheen. Those aren't the names but you get the idea :3 ). Some of the chapters were much shorter than others so I combined them and got a few chapters that were like 3. Nyan, Pusheen and one or two chapters with as many as three characters.

Right now I'm wondering if it would be clearer to the reader to have each chapter be from a different POV, or if it would be better to have chapters of more consistent length because they were varying from 500 to 2000 words before I started merging.

Katharine Tree

Þæt wæs god cyning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
katharinetree.com
I'd personally stick with one POV = one chapter, and not worry about length. GRRM, who for all I know is the originator of this scheme, doesn't.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I think this works for George RR Martin because each chapter represents not only a whole new perspective (that of the POV character, obviously) but sometimes a new location as well. It helps the reader make the shift from one POV to another--sort of like a little nudge from the author, saying, "Heads up. Change coming," so that the reader can step into the new chapter without any sense of being jolted. And it's particularly suited to the type of novel he's writing: a massive story told from a round-robin cast of characters. It's actually several stories presented in a rotating fashion, and most chapters are of a fairly substantial length.

However, I don't know if your story is really suited for this, since you seem have shorter scenes with more frequent POV changes. What's your reason for wanting to do it this way?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
One chapter, one POV is normal. So is labeling each chapter with the POV character's name. It's one of those things that is neither write nor wrong, but simply a choice the writer makes.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'd agree with the one chapter one POV statements. I did this for my 3rd novel (The Reasons). Some chapters were long, some short. Whenever I switched POV, though, I started a new chapter. Individual chapter length doesn't matter.

Chapter 1 - Tobias Reason
Chapter 2 - Maggie Reason
Chapter 3 - Tobias Reason
etc, etc, etc...

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
However, I don't know if your story is really suited for this, since you seem have shorter scenes with more frequent POV changes. What's your reason for wanting to do it this way?

I wanted to put the names before each chapter to spare myself and the reader any confusion on who that chapter was going to follow. It also spares a bit of time with setting up each time I switch POV's. And I think having a few short segments with POV shifts between large chapters cna help keep those characters and their individual stories in the readers' mind while they plunge into some of the more in-depth sections.

Yeah, given what I'm doing right now to separate the POV's (just an extra space with a centered dash), I think splitting them up by chapters might be a better idea.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I'd personally stick with one POV = one chapter, and not worry about length. GRRM, who for all I know is the originator of this scheme, doesn't.

I know I've run across chapters named for pov or focal characters before GRRM's books, but the system works if the povs each have their own separate stories or each advance a discrete portion of the plot. It doesn't work so well if you organize your chapters temporally or have a lot of shared scenes, where you may need to switch between povs within a given chapter.

The main thing is to make it clear whose pov you're in at the beginning of a chapter or scene, no matter how you designate them.

See Abercrombie's First Law books or Robin Hobb's Rain Wild books for alternative means of pov switches. Not necessarily better, but they work for the stories they're in.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I know I've run across chapters named for pov or focal characters before GRRM's books, but the system works if the povs each have their own separate stories or each advance a discrete portion of the plot. It doesn't work so well if you organize your chapters temporally or have a lot of shared scenes, where you may need to switch between povs within a given chapter.

I agree. The character-name-as-chapter-name wouldn't work well for my WIP, for the reasons you cited.

And I'd also like to add that establishing POV at the beginning of a scene is not complicated. You just don't wait until you're three paragraphs in to do it.

Tinman

Registered
Reaction score
In 'Salem's Lot, Stephen King names chapters after POV characters, but also uses the town name when there are more viewpoints, and in at least one case, he titles it : Danny Glick and Others. If you're unfamiliar with the story, it paints a broad image and encompasses dozens of characters. I don't know if it would work for you, but it's worth knowing about. Good luck!!!

STING

Still figuring it out
Registered
Reaction score
...but the system works if the povs each have their own separate stories or each advance a discrete portion of the plot.

Yes. It probably works best in first person, as it did in Gone Girl where two MCs tell their respective stories in alternating chapters. This is not to say it can’t work in third person. But in Gone Girl, each chapter’s title has the character’s name and a secondary title.

Status
Not open for further replies.